Oh boy here we go.
So let's pick it up where this thread ended.
Summer 2017 : The oil pressure dropped drastically on my way to the tuner. Tuner checked the oil pressure sensor and gauge and everything was working fine. Basically confirming that oil pump failed. It didn't crack or anything but failed to deliver a satisfying oil pressure.
End of summer 2017 : I decided to not get the block rebuild or even opened. I'm confident I didn't need to since the oil pump failed just before I got to the tuner. I never beat on the car and always took great care of it so I didn't see any point. Engine going to come out for new oil pump sowhile I'm at it I decided to buy a few other maintenance things. Car also got towed to a guy I know that works a bit on skylines.
- New N1 oil pump, New OEM water pump, New timing belt and pully kit, and some new door window trim.
Winter 2017/2018 : Engine got removed. All new parts got put back in. I also remebered that the power steering pump was leaking quite badly so I ordered a new set of steering pump seals online.
Old oil pump. Don't know what caused it to fail.
Winter 2018 : Guy I know was about to finish putting everything on the engine when he got hit by the oil pan. No clue how he managed that but it hit his eye pretty badly. Had to get it eye removed and replaced by a glass one. At least it wasn't his good eye, he already had lost 100% of his vision in that eye from an old accident he got in his youth. This obviously caused some delays.
June : Got the car back. As I was driving it back home there was some odd metal grinding noise that I could faintly hear. I droped the car off at a mechanic specialised in JDM cars really close to where I live. funny thing is, it's my mom that found the garage. Out of all people! Anyways, talked to the dude at the garage and ends up he's from New Zealand and worked on import cars over there. He checked the car out fearing it was the front diff that was making the grinding noise he got it on a lift. and well, let the nonsense begin.
Front and rear cambers arms were shot. Coilovers didn't have the locking retainers things, I had no rear subframe bushings, they were like rubber floor mats it looked like, an ATESSA oil leak, HICAS was fully removed, but no lock out bar was there. I thought I had HICAS but turns out it was just the rear wheels doing whatever the F they wanted. At least the front diff was fine, it was just the front wheel holding on by only one bolt. Coulda lost the damn wheel! Weird is I didn't feel it in the steering at all.
Seeing how messed up the underside of the car was I asked him to take a look inside the engine bay. I've never seen a mechanic so confused before but turns out it's a KA24E rad I had inside the car and not an RB26 one (For you aussies out there, in Canada/USA the 180sx/silvia are called 240sx and they had a shitty 2.4L truck engine making like 150hp inside of them rather then the sweet sr20det). So the car needed a lot of work done to it, so I left it there.
June/July : Unfortunatly I don't have any pictures because I was gone for 1.5months for work while the car was being fixed. Here are all the things that got done to the car.
- ATESSA oil leak fixed. I was just a gasket.
- Headlights finally worked properly. New wiring was done.
- Got a horn installed because it didn't have one. 240sx horn FTW!.
- Inhouse custom rb26 rad. It's legit 4 times wider then the other one I had in the car.
- Front and rear camber arms replaced by non Ebay shit.
- New brakes all around
- Removed the vent to atmosphere BOV and got it back to factory recirculating one.
- Fully refreshed rear diff. (it was welded before)
- Brand new Tein fully adjustable Street Z coilovers on all 4 corners. It's so comfy now, I love it.
- Got 1 MAF changed.
- Probably forgetting some other stuff, but can't remeber everything.
August : The car drove so much better then before but still burnt stupid rich so it was time to get it tuned. Busy with work, I wasn't able to go to the tuner myself so I got the JDM expert guy to get it tuned for me. Which was a really good idea before theres even more confusing shit in this car. To list a few :
- Jammed in wide open position boost controller. Car ran at 25psi on the first dyno pull... on what we thought was stock turbos.
- Ends up I have a RB20DET computer inside the rb26 computer case. Been told the tuner was confused AF when nothing he was trying to tweak was working. Ends up 1MAF was completely ignored. Got it changed to a rb26 computer.
- A bunch of vacuum lines had to be redone.
- On the plus side, ends up I have GT2860-5 turbos in the car and a really healthy rb26 that shows signs of a full rebuild/refresh not too long ago.
So all in all the car is almost completely done and is supposed to drive like a dream. I'll see for myself today, I'm picking the car up this afternoon.
There are still a few things expensive things to get fixed next year, but for now it's enough.
So all in all this car is an expensive pain in the arse but I love it and should like it even more now that it's fully tuned.