Sorry guys for taking so long to get back to you. I had an operation and was in hospital. I have some photos and can give you feedback on the process.
This is one hell of a job and I am not 100% happy with it either, but shit is it hot. Requires a lot of mods and is by no way straight bolt in. You can forget about bolting... just doesn't happen. Instead of bolts, just cut and weld..... It will take about 1 to 2 days to do.
The hinge originaly supplied was fantastic and solid and wouldn't work as it was too thick for the guard. So a replacement was sent ... The thin hinge for sports coupes. Well .. I can tell you I want the solid hinge... this thin one has a bit of flex in it. I don't know how the other lambo hinges are, but these have a bit of wobble when they go up. Not major, but not as solid as the first hinges. Some thing I could live with.
I have included some pics of the first hinge installed. We re-inforced the points on the guards where the pressure was going to be applied.
As you can see, we cut out the section where the hinge is bolted on and welded a 3mm plate. The plate was only tacked on for the moment and then welded properly when we were happy at the end. For the door, as you can tell has three bolts. We got a 3mm plate and welded 3 bolts to it. We drilled the holes in the door and put the plate in. The bolts were bolted on to the hinge. Silly me forgot to take a photo of the plate with the bolts. As you can see a plate was welded to the door where the wiring loom was so we could drill a hole to put the other bolt through. A hole has not been cut to date for the wiring loom, but I'll get to that a little later on.
I took these photos when we did the left hand side.
we then welded the shocker nipple on and attached the main shocker.
The second strut was exactly like the main strut. When we put it on, there was too much pressure (90kgs to be exact). You needed to be a body builder to close the door and the door would not sit right because of the pressure. The easiest thing to do was trial and error. I bought 2 new gas shocks of the same legnth and we experimented with different pressures. The correct pressure was 20kgs or if you work in the old scale 44 pounds. This was perfect. The door lifts up easily, easy to close... actually very impressed with the closure of the door. To pull the door down is very very easy and light. Once you pull it all the way down, it will swing in itself to close the door. No major adjustments either. Must admit, it works great. Now for the bad news.....
The door trims need to be cut to have enough clearance to open the door. How much you might ask .... well this is how much I cut off.
Not excessive... just need to do a fibreglass mould and put in a speaker.... too easy.
Ohh, almost forgot ... the fender... Did I roll it. Nope. I bloody cut it. he he he. Who needs to pay $100 for rolling. Nothing better than a grinder, and a panel beating hammer at no cost.
What it looks like .....
For the wiring loom.... What I have done, but as yet to finish... I went to a wreckers and bought the plugs and wirining loom for the doors. I will be making an extension cable. Nice an easy rather than extending the cables. It will be a hell of a lot cheaper just extending the wires, but cause of my operation, I reallly can't get down to the panel beaters to work on it. So I will make the extension cable from home and then just plug it in.
So that's the deal guys. Sorry for taking so long. The choice I suppose is up to you. The panel beater who helped me with this, said he would do it for people for $1500. For me.. that's too expensive. I'm not a real handyman, and wanted assistance to make sure I don't F#$K up. But if you have a mig welder within arm's reach and patience, it's not too bad. This is definitely not for the faint hearted. If your gut feeling is it is too hard, don't even try.
I'll leave it up to you guys. If there is enough interest, I will see the numbers and let you know. Would I do it again or get some professional to do it... hmmm... I haven't seen a proper professional installed one, so I couldn't really compare. If you don't mind cutting the door trim and you are a bit of a handyman... I would suggest it. If you leave the door trim as is and get someone to do it it will cost approx $2000+. I'd rather the cash in my pocket, but that's only my choice. I have to admit, there were some times i wanted to rip my hair out because of the initial hinge being too big and the bottom strut which had too much pressure. Apart from that, it wasn't too bad.
I will keep you posted on my door trim and the extension cable. I will also post up some pic's of these. I am waiting for the car to be resprayed and then work on it. So may be a little while, but hopefully this month.
So that's were i'm at. Fire away any questions you may have.