The lead up to this year was quite cruisy, I made sure I had everything done and ready so the week before all I had to do was pack. Thursday- Got to SMSP on time, was able to unload unhurriedly. Went through scrutineering easily, only needed a bit of padding on a rollbar – they hit the whole field for that. I reckon Vsport made their quota that day LOL 1st session – got out nice and easy, get about twos and the clutch starts slipping then about halfway down the straight the clutch went to the floor. Limped back to the pits and found one of the clutch slave cylinder tabs that the bolts go through had snapped off. We think because it was pushing at an angle it was sort of engaging the pressure plate and heating it up. Quick call and a trip out to Fatz place for a spare (thanks again!) and I was back in business for the 4th session, but the damage was done. One lap of slipping and I called it a day. Luckily I brought my old clutch as a spare, and we were able to swap it that evening in about 1.5hours. Friday Session 1 went out, car was feeling good - Really good thru the corners actually, so much easier to drive than last year. Got a lap and lost all boost a T4. Back to the pits and found the new intercooler hose off the turbo had tried to eat itself
Shop around, got a new one and some gold wrap to help protect it from the heat and ready for.. Session 2 fcukin boost. I cannot believe how much trouble ive had with boost. This time its overboost – and what killed the pipe. Back in to the pit (notice a theme?) vac line had perished (silicone). Source a replacement and ready for… Session 3. Out, car is fine. get to the straight between 8 and 9 and bam, coolant on the window. Limped to the pits, the press fitting in the plenum for the top radiator hose had blown out. Trip to bunnings and some epoxy cement later and had it fixed. We decided to leave bleeding it until Saturday morning so it would set 100%.
Saturday Turned out my first session was earlier than expected. Filled and bled the coolant just in time, only getting suited up as they were going out. session 1 Overboosting again, came back in and thinking the same thing happened i replaced the vac line again but with a braided line vsport made for us at the track. Session 2 still o/b. Back in and this time i pulled the wastegate apart for lack of seeing anything else obvious. Turns out the diaphragm is rooted. Visit to the Turbosmart stand and one freebie later im ready for the next session
session 3 - spirt's are up, should hgaugeipped the boat problem in the bud. I head out and crap, first full throttle smashes past 30psi (high as the gauge reads) overboosting issue anyway. I decided to have a go anyway and just modulated the throttle, watching the gauge to keep the needle on 20psi. heres the vid
So all in all, an annoying weekend but happy for the new pb too. Good thing i could take away is that the aero and rear end seem working really well. Water temps didn't go above 80deg The Turbosmart guys said my wastegate looks like it's getting way too hot. That's why it's discolored and probably the root cause of my problems. The new ducting setup would have made things even worse, little airflow on the circuit and none in the pits. They recommended a little ducting on to the wastegate area, the bilstine s14 had the same issue and that worked for them. So, I've come away determined to fix this issue once and for all. I'm going to remove the heat shield as its just radiating heat back on to the gate. I'm getting the whole hot side ceramic coated, a new w/g (just incase), aeroflow braided teflon hose for the vac line, air ducting to the area and either a new boost solenoid or do away with it and run just spring pressure. Once that's all done I'm going back to smsp to see what it should have done, not changing anything else. I think there is a in it 40 as it sits now.
I dont like how the new wing looks 'disconnected" from the car, I'm going to redo the endplates so they sit lower/closer to the car