I wrote this up for another website but I thought it might be appreciated here as well. If you haven't heard about it already the Victorian Parliament had an open forum into motorcycle safety across the state where organizations and companies have submitted proposal of issues which they believe should be considered in the Motorcycle Safety inquiry, expected to be concluded in December. A proposal by the Victoria Police has angered a large portion motorcycle community by proposing several new laws. I have quickly outline all the proposed points and little tidbits of information which may be hidden in the paper, please read carefully and make your own opinions.
Please be noted I do not have a issue with all proposals (just the ridiculous ones) but it doesn't mean I think they are fair on other riders either, I have tried to write this up in an unbiased nature but obviously I will always be biased since I am a rider.
1. The requirement of a front license plate (This can be in sticker form)
2. The MINIMUM WEARING of FIVE high visibility protective clothing
Yes you read this right if you ride a sportsbike, a superbike, a cruiser, or even a VESPA you need to be wearing HIGH VISIBILITY (Fluoro) this means the following items have to be high vis (Unless you can think of something else to wear that would make up the 5 articles).
All clothing has to meet Australian Standards....this also applies to Pillions
3. The creation of the standard which regulates the clothing mandates
4. Graduated motorcycle licencing system (Restrictions are lifted the longer you hold your license)
5. Separate the motorcycle class from automotive license (like getting your boat license)
6. Unique easily identifiable license plates (as motorcycles)
7. A new motorcycle advisory body which represents Victoria police (like MRA but with cops)
8. Recommends lane splitting/filtering should be studied and laws be implemented on it's conclusion (It's a grey area atm)
* Until such studies are concluded it should be deemed an unlawful act
9. Clear separation between on and off road motorcycles
*Particularly the ability to access hospital attendance records for motorcyclist riders to check valid off-road registration
10. Update of the Strategic Action Plan for Powered Two Wheelers (I'm not 100% what this is, so I'm not going to try to explain it)
11. ANCAP Like Safety rating on new purchases
*Although this seems pointless to me, since the ability for a motorcycle to take a crash does not do anything for the rider, there is one good point, the requirement of ABS on new motorcycles (the only issue I have of this is the fact that ABS on motorcycles is still a new technology, the mandatory implementation on new motorcycles in Victoria may hinder the introduction of new vehicles from manufacturers)
12. Training/Reeducation for returning motorcycle riders
I tried to write this as simply as I can, maintain an unbiased view (which is impossible because I'm a rider) and just point out the clear facts. Do what you want with this information but if this infuriates you that it does me I encourage you to read the whole PDF (which is not very long) voice your opinion publicly.
Other Issues being protested, not in this proposal
* .02 BAC Limit
* Anti-Association Laws (Guilt by association)
Actual PDF: http://www.parliamen...tm_medium=email