This build was primarily started to alleviate the issue of having too much lag for a street car, in 2012 I had replaced the factory twin turbos with strengthened RS581 LeMans turbos. This turned into a bit of a mistake as I found the power delivery to be very linear and the car was incredibly doughy at low RPM. At the time I was very unaware of what a responsive twin turbo RB26 should feel like and I just accepted the lag as the car was making more power.
The budget of an EFR setup has been a huge obstacle for me and as the years have gone by I have finally assembled and decided what is the best combination for my needs.
My power limit of 300-350kW would rule out the EFR 8374 which was what I had been setting my sights on - but being greedy for more response drove me to the 7670. I also wanted the build to be simple and less complicated which is with I went with the IWG option.
The last purchase I made was for the turbo and I wanted to get straight into it - I didn't want to wait and give my money to a garage to fit everything up, it was also my first real overhaul on any car but decided to hack away at it and give it a go.
Conditions were not perfect, I had to remove the twins and all the factory hoses and piping, this was done outside after work so I only had a few hours of daylight each day.
Starting from the top was a good approach and everything with a nut or bolt was loosened and removed to declutter and improve morale on the task ahead..
More and more parts had to come off the car which was daunting to begin with but everything had a bag to go in so I could be reassembled without any headaches, the A/C was also completely removed while everything was off.
After many short frustrating nights I finally had the twins out and could start mocking up the fitment and how everything around the turbo was going to run.
Immediately I thought shaping and welding sections of intercooler pipe would be the way to go with the plumbing for the turbo.
Weather kept packing in and progress was delayed so someone kindly let me in to a hangar to make up for the time lost.
All the recirc and blow off valve parts were removed to rid the car of dead weight.
Plenty of progress was made while I could work in here and also while removing the old recirc piping I found that it would be a perfect fit and bend for the turbo and would subsequently save me a heap of time instead of an intercooler pipe fabricated to do the same job.
Knowing that the factory actuator could potentially cause problems with boost control it was swapped for a Turbosmart IWG75 twin port actuator.
Turbo was off and on more times than I could count to get everything torqued down and hose lengths and the p/s reservoir lines to fit up tidily.
After everything was fitted and tightened down I removed the plugs to crank the engine over and confirm the oil flow for the turbo feed. After a few cranks the new oil started coming out and could be attached to the turbo.
As the blow off valves were also removed and a cap was made for the hose. It would holt 20+psi better than a WD40 cap!
The downpipe posed to be one of the biggest problems as no one in my area would supply or create pre-bent 3.5" stainless tube. I had to purchase a 3.5" stainless donut from sinco to sort out the rest of the exhaust. This was an absolute nightmare to cut.
More and more small parts started to become apparent to me that I'd need to finish everything off and after a bucket load of invoices and receipts I finally had everything I needed. Most of my time was spend running back and forth from the shops to find the correct fittings, hoses etc. - rookie stuff.
Everything started to take shape at this stage and I was very happy on how simplified I made the engine bay. Boost control and blow off valve lines were sorted after this and the engine bay had a general refresh.
No leaks were discovered and the car has since been waiting for a dyno tune.