SAU Community

Changing Power Steering Pump Help

cogs

Im changing the power steering pump in my car, my only problem is I can't undo the gold bolt that screws into the pump (holding the valve section?). I need to take it off so I can remove the valve(?) and the section of hosing attached to it from the old pump and reconnect it to my new pump.

thanks,

The r32 gtr and gtst use the same pump. Its the suction

pipe, and a bracket for one of the hoses is all that is different between two. They mount and adjust the same too.

Its under the pump from memory, 1 bolt or nut as a lock, then another to put tension on the belt.

I have'nt studied the internals yet, but the pulley size is the same. I need to look inside to see if one flows different than the other. My guess is that they are (flow) the same.

Before you do this check your power steering belts tension and remember this. From memory the book states it should have 9-15mm of deflection at 10kg of pressure? So if you push it down with your finger it should roughly move about 1cm.

I just undid the long bolt at the top which holds the PS pump to the engine bracket. I couldn't take this bolt right out at this stage as the pulley holes werent lined up with it. Then I ended up undoing the whole tensioner assembly (2 bolts on the left and one in the middle). Now you can pull the power steering pump down so it's closer to the engine side creating more slack in the belt so you can now remove the belt from the pulley. Rotate the pulley now (as it can turn freely) if need be to line a hole in the pulley up with the top bolt. Remove this long bolt and now you can remove the power steering pump from it's bracket as it's no longer held in by any bolts. I didn't know a good way to drain the power steering fluid so I just took off the hose at the back of the pump and just let the fluid drain out, this is pretty messy so I put lots of newspaper under the car as I didnt have a jack and I couldnt get a oil pan to fit under my car.

Now for the part I had some trouble (took me 2 days because of this), the gold bolt that attaches the hose at the top of the power steering pump. I found this impossible to get off with a shifter but after purchasing a 15/16" socket the next day I was able to eventually get the c*nt off after a few goes. I'm not sure if they're all this hard to undo but I would suggest using a socket wrench as it worked for me!

So after you undo this bolt (btw mine had a washer attached underneath the hosing) you can remove the hosing that it was holding and begin putting your new power steering pump in!

Mine was already clean but if your new pump is looking a bit gritty it might be best to spray some degreaser on it and then give it a hose down before putting it in.

Make sure you do the belt backup to the same tension.

When you've put all the bolts back on (make sure you remember them all) and adjusted the belt tension correctly you can start filling up the resorvoir with PS Fluid. I used Valvoline Formula F Power Steering Fluid ($10 for 1L at Supercheap), it says it specially designed for Ford Falcons or something which had me worried but my mate said he uses it in his WRX and he hasn't had any problems so I went with it. Yeh so just topped the resorvoir up till it registered full then started the car (with the PS resorvoir cap off) and turned the steering wheel lock to lock (this apparently gets rid of air in the system). The car was making an awful sound that you do not want to hear your car make. I checked the fluid and it was down so I topped it up again (air loss and the fact that the hose lines would be empty I guess). Ran the car again and the awful noise was gone so I think the noise was just the pump running dry.

Took the car for a test drive and it seemed fine and havent had any problems with it yet (touch wood).

This is the first time I've done this and I probably made a few mistakes so dont take what I've written as gospel but it worked for me and might give some people a rough idea of what to do if they dont know.

Good guide, just a couple of things....

everything on a line is metric, the big bolt is either 23 or 24mm not 15/16ths

Undo the bolt while the pump is still bolted in place it should be easier since it will sit still. Be really careful with the bolt it has fluid running though it so it can be weaker than a normal bolt.....no wacking with hammers.....

I just undid the long bolt at the top which holds the PS pump to the engine bracket. I couldn't take this bolt right out at this stage as the pulley holes werent lined up with it.

are you talking about the left gold bolt?

IMG_0738.jpg

Then I ended up undoing the whole tensioner assembly (2 bolts on the left and one in the middle). Now you can pull the power steering pump down so it's closer to the engine side creating more slack in the belt so you can now remove the belt from the pulley.

is the picture below, the 2 bolt you're talking about? and the last picture, is that the bolt for the tensioner?

IMG_0741.jpg

IMG_0742.jpg

Edited by BobyYoo

In my pics (see attachments) the bolt circled in red is the bolt which holds the power steering pump to the engine bracket. You need to remove this bolt.

Circled in yellow are the 3 bolts holding the belt tensioner assembly. Two are on the left and the other is in the middle, directly below the bolt that holds the PS pump to the bracket (circled in red).

Shown in blue is the adjuster at the end of the tensioner assembly. As you can see the previous owner had a nice washer and nut collection going on mine lol. This usually adjusts the tension of the belt but since you are taking the entire assembly off there is no need to adjust it to remove the belt.

So you need to drain fluid (i removed the hose at the back of the pump), remove large bolt holding top hose. Remove pump by taking out 3 tensioner assembly bolts (shown in yellow) and remove long bolt holding ps pump to bracket (shown in red).

Thanks Duncan, sorry guys but I did use a 15/16" socket and it still worked but then again I wasn't concerned about wrecking the bolt as one came with my new pump hehe, try to use the correct metric size.

Also as Duncan mentioned it is probably easier to remove the big bolt (the one that holds the top hose on) with the PS pump still in place.

Make sure when you put the new pump in you put all the bolts, hoses etc back on.

If you have anymore questions just ask.

Good luck.

post-17500-1137568290.jpg

post-17500-1137568370.jpg

i see that your pictures are a bit different from a r32, but is almost similar.

It seem to be easier on a r33, because on the r32, my tensioner bolt is in my last picture, and it is underside of the powersteering which is hard to reach.

I will only replace my belt, so i wont do the whole step, but it is a good write up for someone else

thanks