SAU Community

Rb30det/tt Gtr Conversion Thread

rev210

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok yes Daniel thats what i have done, just bolted the top 4 up, motor is in, what a nitemare with the cv's etc :D, little bit of an issue with the bonnet clearance tends to hit, so i not sure either bonnet scoop or ill try adjusting it to suit. Tomorrow ill be getting my custom dump pipe installed then ill hook the gt3540 up :(. Funny thing is it looks just like an rb20 especially with the rb20 cover, i think some ppl are going to get a shock!!! Who else in SA has done this mod to 4wd???

Edited by FOOLBOOST

in sa i think you will be the first I dont think i have sold any to sa, and i havent heard of anyone having done it to 4wd. The issue with bonnet clearence isnt an issue with GTRS as much due to the rb26 head. The cv can be time consuming but if you did it again you could do it in half the time, its all about experience and practice. Sounds like you hookin in though good to see!!!

Ok yes Daniel thats what i have done, just bolted the top 4 up, motor is in, what a nitemare with the cv's etc :thumbsup:, little bit of an issue with the bonnet clearance tends to hit, so i not sure either bonnet scoop or ill try adjusting it to suit. Tomorrow ill be getting my custom dump pipe installed then ill hook the gt3540 up ;). Funny thing is it looks just like an rb20 especially with the rb20 cover, i think some ppl are going to get a shock!!! Who else in SA has done this mod to 4wd???

Sound like your getting closer to start-up. Im getting closer to starting my conversion.

RB30det Should be a good thing in a 4wd, after having my 300rwkw RB30 in a 2WD r32 for near 2 years, i cant wait to convert to 4WD and make use of some of the massive torque and power the RB30 has to offer.

Yes sky30 thats exactly why i did the conversion, i wouldnt have bothered in an r32 RWD how the hell would you get tracking with 300+ rwkw?

LOL, You dont, 300rwkw is nearly slower than 200rwkw in a 2WD.....

I have heard of GTRS with 230+rwkw doing cranks in on hard launches due to oil all going towards rear of sump, what is the best way to combat this??? With my sump when i modified the oil pickup i put it right towards the back of the sump front buldge and as low as possible for maximium pickup, hope i dont do a crank in.

I have heard of GTRS with 230+rwkw doing cranks in on hard launches due to oil all going towards rear of sump, what is the best way to combat this???

its all rubbish from poorly informed people.

There is no such problem at all

have a read

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/in...howtopic=110680

• 3 weeks later...

Have any of the guys who have done this conversion come across a problem where the bottom bell housing bolts dont line up with the holes in the bottom of the sump due to the adapter plate? I saw this on another forum where the guy made his on plate

I am going to be putting my RB26/30 engine into my gtr soon and would like to know if this is an issue

Nathan

Have any of the guys who have done this conversion come across a problem where the bottom bell housing bolts dont line up with the holes in the bottom of the sump due to the adapter plate? I saw this on another forum where the guy made his on plate

I am going to be putting my RB26/30 engine into my gtr soon and would like to know if this is an issue

Nathan

Yes, what we did with mine was to attach the gearbox to the block and re-drill into the sump extension, either that or just bolt up the top bolts dont worry about the bottom ones :(

Yes, what we did with mine was to attach the gearbox to the block and re-drill into the sump extension, either that or just bolt up the top bolts dont worry about the bottom ones :P

So were exactly did you drill the holes into for the bottom gearbox mounts?

So were exactly did you drill the holes into for the bottom gearbox mounts?

All you have to do is bolt your gearbox on then drill through in the sump extension, the bottom 4 bolt holes this will make new bolt holes for the bottom 4 then stick a thread in them and your :). We used the vl gearbox which we figured out is different to the Gtr one after as the bolt holes didnt line up, doesnt matter if it comes to it just bolt the top ones up, dont worry about the bottom ones :) .

Edited by FOOLBOOST

• 1 month later...

Guys, hope the conversions are going well, please let us know how you're getting on. What issues have you found that are created by the extra deck height? Dump pipe length springs to mind as a 'must do' but what else - 38mm is enough to interefere with a/c lines, ps pump lines, rad hoses, harnesses, earth straps etc. Would be great to know how you've overcome these.

Regards

Guys, hope the conversions are going well, please let us know how you're getting on. What issues have you found that are created by the extra deck height? Dump pipe length springs to mind as a 'must do' but what else - 38mm is enough to interefere with a/c lines, ps pump lines, rad hoses, harnesses, earth straps etc. Would be great to know how you've overcome these.

Regards

a/c lines = not a problem, the A/C compressor is in the same place

ps pump lines = not a problem, the power steering pump is in the same place

rad hoses = not a problem, the standard hoses fit just fine

harnesses = the engine harness actually goes downwards on a RB26, so they actually fit better on the RB30

earth straps = not a problem, they bolt to the block in the same places. The only different one is the exhaust manifold to LHS inner guard. But I always use a larger capacity cable anyway, so no big deal. Plus you have to change it if you change the exhaust manifolds.

:P cheers :mad:

Edited by Sydneykid

so with a 26/30 TT config engine using all of the standard bolt on parts I need to do nothing different to a normal RB26 engine r and r except lengthen the dumps and the above mentioned earth strap, and tune? i guess fmc plumbing too..but that's ALL?

so with a 26/30 TT config engine using all of the standard bolt on parts I need to do nothing different to a normal RB26 engine r and r except lengthen the dumps and the above mentioned earth strap, and tune? i guess fmc plumbing too..but that's ALL?

No change to the intercooler plumbing either. But I used silicone joiners, maybe they were a little longer.

As previously mentioned, you will have to redrill the lower bell housing bolts, but that's a 5 minute job.

I didn't lengthen the dumps either, but they weren't standard ones.

I upgraded the sump (Performance Metalcraft) for GTR oil surge prevention.

Plus added an oil cooler, of course.

I also extended ther lower cam cover, so it met up with the standard RB26 top cover (keeps the rocks out)

:ermm: cheers :D

I also extended ther lower cam cover, so it met up with the standard RB26 top cover (keeps the rocks out)

lol.. yes I must get around to doing that.

How long has the motor been in now? :ermm: