SAU Community

Warming Up And Cooling Down Skyline

Hey,

Just wondering what everyone thinks is the best method to warming up your skyline before you start driving and cooling it down afterwoods.

I have been given mixed information and just trying to clarify what is the correct one.

Is it better to let the car warm up and cool down while it is parked ie: about 5 mins of running or would it be better to let it warm parked for about 60 secs then drive it normally for about 15 mins at around 3000rpms?

any information is appreciated!

thanks

:D

you could be anal retentive and do both!! like so many others do... but realisticly giv it a couple minutes to warm up and treat it with respect for a bit.

when it comes to cooling it down, just set the timer according to how hard u drove it. for example if u thumped it on the way home give it 4 min to cool down, but if u cruised it home give it 2 min to cool down

dont be one of those shmucks that gives it 10 mins to warm up before you drive it

Cold morning I tend to warm it up until the needle on my oil temp gauge just starts to creep up, otherwise I'll warm her up just until the water temp needle starts to move north.

Cooling doon... Turbo timer my friend. Anywhere between 2 min to 5 min, depends on how much spirited driving I've just done beforehand. :D

For warming her up, I usually give it until the water temp needle begins to creep up. And for cooling down, I usually slow down a couple blocks before home so I don't have to leave it on the timer for more than a minute or so.

Edited by Remix-

The engine will warm up quicker if you drive the car. And you might as well be getting somewhere while you're burning all that fuel. I climb in the car, fire up the engine, reverse out the driveway and on my way. Keep it under about 3000 rpm until the needle starts to move.

Cooling down - forget timers; the best timer is inside your head. Just drive sensibly for the last 1km or so before you reach your destination, and you can pretty safely simply switch off the engine.

when im about to leave, before i get ready i go out to my car, turn it on then take the key out so the turbo timer takes over then set it to 4-5min, lock the car then go and get ready.

by the time im back the car is reasonably warm and is at a decent temperature for me to drive off with my mind at ease.

Warming up, I usually start the engine as soon as I get to the car.

Then if I have anything to load into it, I'll put it in. Get in the car, put the belt on and make sure everything's right (checking mirrors, gauges, etc) before slowly driving off. Usually around 30-60 seconds.

As blind_elk says, your engine will warm up faster if its got load. So I'll drive it around gently until the water temp gauge increases.

Don't forget, your water temp gauge doesn't tell you everything. You still have no indication of how hot the engine oil is, not to mention transmission and diff fluid, tyre temps, and the rest. Half of them won't even get heat until you start moving.

As for cooling down, I don't drive a turbo but like all modern engines mine runs hot. I prefer to cool down on the move. In the last few minutes I'll drive it at low load; luckily its downhill to my place so I tend to just coast in a high gear.

Leaving your engine idling when you pull over is great for passing oil through your turbo to help cool it down, but with no air flow over your heat exchangers....where does that heat end up? Its not going to dissipate itself.

I used to be a paranoid freak and let it warm up for 10 minutes or more and even then the temps had only just started to move up. Couldnt figure why I had such bad economy.

These days, I fire it up, wait till oil pressure rises (few seconds) and take off driving sensibly. Funny now that it doesnt take anywhere near ten minutes to get up to temp.

Cool down is like others said. Just take it slowly 5-10 minutes away from home and then I shut it down instantly.

I jump in and drive straight away, but like blind elk, keep RPM low (I try to stay below 2,500) and dont come on boost until the opperating temp is at normal, and the oil pressure is about normal too. At least the oil pressure should give you some indication weather the car is at normal opperating temp.

Cool down is similar to blind elk too but if I've been boosting at all I usually give it min 1 min just for peace of mind. Hard driving, maybe 3-4

Not sure what other people do but thats just my habit now.

thanks heaps for all of your input!

i thought the letting it idle for about 60 sec then driving it under 3000rpms would be better for it as far as lubrication and stuff goes then just letting it sit for 5-10mins!!

The engine will warm up quicker if you drive the car. And you might as well be getting somewhere while you're buring all that fuel. I climb in the car, fire up the engine, reverse out the driveway and on my way. Keep it under about 3000 rpm until the needle starts to move.

Cooling down - forget timers; the best timer is inside your head. Just drive sensibly for the last 1km or so before you reach your destination, and you can pretty safely simply switch off the engine.

words to live by

Do also remember the cool down isn't as critical in water cooled turbo's due to thermosyphoning. :woot:

I do as the majority.

Warm up - Start, put the belt on and drive off easily 2000-2500rpm.

I was told to do this by my engine builder as doing this brings the forged pistons up to temp quicker reducing the amount of time they slap around damaging the bores.

Cool down - drive easy for a km or two prior to shutting down, I'd be silly to thrash around the side streets where I live anyhow.

remote start is cool...

i start mine as i step out of the house in the mornings and by the time i've walked to the car stepped in and put on my belt, a good 60s have passed :whoops: then i just take it easy as everyone else does...

"Warming the car up" is mostly just a habit that people have picked up from previous generations.

People saw dad warming the old FJ up for 10 to 15 minutes, and they think that's just the way things are done.

Welcome to the 21st century people.

You are now able to get into your car and drive off straight away.

remote start compromises the security of the car, I read a post sumthing abt it sumwhere, not because the car is running without a driver, got to do with lesser alarm function..I think..

me, I warm up till temp needle goes to middle, abt 5-6 min...

remote start compromises the security of the car, I read a post sumthing abt it sumwhere, not because the car is running without a driver, got to do with lesser alarm function..I think..

me, I warm up till temp needle goes to middle, abt 5-6 min...

Well in my bro's car you still need a key to drive the car as the only thing that is working is the engine...