SAU Community

- Defects -

Niss

Guys as per my other post, i might be gettin a skyline soon, and they are obviously more targetted then some other cars for defects.

If i purchase a second hand car, from a dealer, and i get pulled over, how can i prove the work was done professionally?

(as i understand you just have to have a receipt showing it was done to some standards or soemthing correct?)

because i dont wanna get pulled over and told to take my exhaust off, or defected on any part.

Cheers,

Niss

If all your mods on the Skyline are not over the top, then you won't have too many hassles. If the car is way too low or the exhaust is excessively loud then of course you are asking for trouble.

Just be sensible with mods and you'll be fine.

Guys as per my other post, i might be gettin a skyline soon, and they are obviously more targetted then some other cars for defects.

If i purchase a second hand car, from a dealer, and i get pulled over, how can i prove the work was done professionally?

(as i understand you just have to have a receipt showing it was done to some standards or soemthing correct?)

because i dont wanna get pulled over and told to take my exhaust off, or defected on any part.

Get your mods engineered (some mods cannot be engineered by the way) and your chances of being defected will dramtically decrease.

cops can get you for anything. you can drive your brand new whatever out of the factory and a cop can defect you for anything he wants. just drive responsibly and carefully and dont give a cop an excuse to pull you over in the first place.

cops can get you for anything. you can drive your brand new whatever out of the factory and a cop can defect you for anything he wants. just drive responsibly and carefully and dont give a cop an excuse to pull you over in the first place.

Understood prevention is the best cure, but i was really asking for the "what ifs".

Thnx anyways

I have recently been yellow stickered. I was travelling down a local road at 40km/h and a cop chucked a u-turn, pulled me over and specifically tested my tinting. Unfortunately sometimes no matter how responsibly you are driving, cops can decide to pick on you.

Your best bet is to check out the ADR's, and to look up your state dpi website for more information on which car modifications do not need permits. I think that any other modifications require permits which you have to pay a fee to obtain from a licensing centre.

If the you purchase a car with, for example, an after market exhaust, then the only way to be sure of not getting stickered for it is to have a permit for the exhaust. Otherwise it is up to the police officer to decide whether the car needs to be inspected or not.

things like wheels, exhaust, pod, suspension can all be engineered. it doesnt cost much. the cheapest ive been quoted was $250 from a friend of a friend. max you'd pay is 300-400.

my car sits around 50-60mm off the ground, its bright yellow, and its got a 3" turbo back feeding into a 5" tip. i havent been pulled over since i took my wheels off (in my sig). so it all depends on how you present the car. it scores big points with the popo.

we really need an engineer that does engineering for sau members. now THAT is a damn good idea.

Even with an engineers certificate the cop can defect you and tell you that the only way to clear it is to go to the RTA station. Thats when you can use the certificate as the RTA guys are able to interpret the certificate.

How very annoying.

True, a cop can defect you simply if they believe there may be something wrong with your car. They dont have to specifically identify the problem. They can just say something like "the engine doesnt sound right" etc and on goes the sticker. But I doubt that even the police would be that annoying

True, a cop can defect you simply if they believe there may be something wrong with your car. They dont have to specifically identify the problem. They can just say something like "the engine doesnt sound right" etc and on goes the sticker. But I doubt that even the police would be that annoying

Ohh, you'd be suprised. We've had some funny defects. One of my mates was arrested after being issued with an "unsafe vehicle defect" for bald tires.. he chose to drive home (less then a kilometer). Ahhh good times.

One cop in particular humours us when he tells us our skylines have nothing on a commodore and how we really dont need an exhaust that large and its only use would be to climb into the car through the exhaust if we lock the keys inside. He even told us that a large exhaust will give us less power as we wont have back pressure.

He really knows a lot about turbo cars. HA!

He even told us that a large exhaust will give us less power as we wont have back pressure.

He really knows a lot about turbo cars. HA!

He doesn't know a lot about any kind of car. Backpressure is never good, no matter what your induction type.

Anyway on topic. In my big bright red noisy cefiro, which I used to go cruising in down the coast each weekend with a bunch of 'hoons' we even had 'team shitbox racing' stickers on the cars, down to the dreaded bwcp.... We never once got pulled over. I have in fact in about 2.5years of owning my car been ever pulled over 3 times. 2 of those a ticket, only once anything bad and points. Both times in the wrong. (other time was an rbt). Said it before, say it again. If you lot are getting pulled over for stupid little defects, you are either asking for it one way or another, or look like the policemans daughters ex boy friend.

Cops like that everywhere. And yes I have been pulled over by them. We have a pair of them up here. They wear hawian shirts, and drive whatever, from turboed astras to monaros, ss utes with car stereo stickers on them. Its easy to get caught out by these guys. And there is two of them, and they are both the 'bad' cop. Poeple in QLD know who Im talking about.

Ha Ha ! Defects ! The cops can do as they like. You can get it engineered and have all the pretty paper work you like and wave it at them as they say to you: " Thats all very well, but I think youve modifided it some more after you got it passed "!!!!! Bam ! Canary !

One of my mates a while ago had a Capri with a V8 in it, with all the engineering reports you could imagine. In the end the cop that pulled him over got him for flaking paint on the number plate( which where new ???? ).

If they want you off the road, your off !