SAU Community

Diy Aac Valve Cleaning & Idle Reset.

insu

electrical plugs are good. hoses are good. bolts are tight. i did not adjust the idle screw. i used the old gasket as it did not come off when i took the acc valve off. havnt checked for air leaks around the gasket. i have to go out in about an hour so ill check it all again before i leave.

thanks for the ideas.

adam

ok, if i were you, i would go and buy some gasket goo/kit for $15 odd from supercheap, or whatever's near you. smear some on both sides of the gasket and put back together. i mean its a 15 year old gasket, and when taking it apart can lose the cushiness, if you know what i mean lol.

if you end up doing this, it'll probably say on the instructions, but after you've smeared it on either sides of the gasket, do up the 3 bolts finger tight till it squirts out the edges and let it set for 40-60 mins, then tighten them up but not hulk tight.

i ended up doing away with the old gasket and used the gasket goo, so it does the job as good as the nissan gasket. (one day someone will discover an AAC valve gasket stuck somewhere under the air intake plenum) :domokun:

yeh thanks. i decided to clean it out as i was changing the spark plugs so i thought id do both at the same time and at the time i didnt have any gasket goo... i could walk to autobarn so getting it tmrw arvo will be no problem. weird thing is tho it seems to do it worse after i give the car some grief...

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Most awesome write up! finished this off a short time ago, idle was much smoother (as well as being set to a better level as it was a tad low) still seems do drop quite low under braking when clutch is pushed in, certainly not struggling like it used to although maybe thats just the higher idle helping.

thanks for the effort in writing the tutorial.

:down:

I finally got around to (partially) cleaning the AAC valve on the rb26 :P

Mid-way under the plenum it sits sideways with 4 bolts, 2 hoses connected and a brown plug. After I removed the bolts I removed the AAC only to see a brand spanking new looking gasket in one piece. However inside the aac it was dirty, caked in black soot. The freaking hoses had hose clamps facing the engine so there was no way that I could remove them without removing the plenum... anyway I just sprayed MAF cleaner into the spring and the black juices came running out another hole. I can say that it's only half clean lol

First few key turns the car would not start I was freaking out maybe because I didn't wait for the MAF cleaner to dry haha, but then it worked perfectly :rofl:

No more throttle required on startup.

Also adjusted the idle screw from 1100rpm down to a more respectable 1000rpm which I am happy with at the moment, might go lower but I was afraid of stalling in traffic like others haha

• 1 month later...

RB25DET Neos have cold start valve and AAC valve as part of the same assembly - I just posted this in another thread, perhaps it helps someone else:

Here's a summary of the main differences between an RB25DET Neo and the original tutorial for series 1:

• There are 4 bolts instead of 3 (doh :))
  • Wrap a towel around and under the three coolant hoses before loosening the hose clamps and pulling out the hoses. There's enough coolant coming out to soak half a tea towel. The coolant may be pressurised so wear eye protection.
  • As per the original tutorial I found it easier to disconnect the intake hose going to the base of the AAC at the other side of the head first, at the second hose clamp from where it branches off the main intake pipe.
  • My AAC assembly didn't have an O-ring between the assembly and the solenoid (step 9).
  • Take note of idle screw position before/whilst taking it out (number of rotations) unless you want to reset idle afterwards.
  • After putting everything back together remember to bleed the coolant system by loosening the bleed screw on top of the AAC assembly with the engine running until you get a couple of drops of coolant coming out.

• 3 months later...

Been searching the web for weeks, heard from many other owners that this was a common problem, but no fix ideas. Finally saw this post and tried it. Worked like a charm. After I cleaned out the AAC Valve, I didn't have to touch either idle screws. The car seems to be running great since. (besides the random RPM gauge that I'm still troubleshooting). Thanks for the post! And the pictures showed up great!

Hi everyone i'm new here, i just got a s13 with S2 RB25DET stock swap, the car was working fine, but i've been having issues with the aac valve or idle valve ( i guess), so wha i did, i follow all the steps from this tutorial and also i changed the fuel filter, park plugs, and i cleaned the MAF sensor. The only step that i couln't do is reset the idle from the ECU, 'cause i never saw the screw.

When i turn on the engine, it goes to 2k rpm , and 1 minute later starts stalling and shuts off , then when i try to turn it back on doesn't start....

I hope you guys helpme out, 'cause im very worried, I don't know what the problem really is,.......thanks guys.

-S2 RB25DET

-GREDDY PROFEC BOOST CONTROLLER

-FMIC

• 3 months later...

PICTURES ON PAGE 9

Thanks for the write up!! Unfortunately I only read the first page and did the whole thing by opening up separate pics :) ah well

I did this DIY tonight and bought the gasket just in case. Didn't end up needing it but ah well.

Idling is a lot better!! not perfect but just as good as when I first got it some 6 years ago.

My troubles which is always the same when I work on cars is hoses! and anything to do with getting my hands in tight places or tools in tight places.

I also did as much as I can off this DIY

http://www.skylinesa..._1#entry3204938

Edited by Julzillionaire

Hey guys, it's been a while since I've logged in to the site. I have to say I'm a little surprised to see how much this thread seems to have helped people!

Good stuff guys!