SAU Community

Diy Aac Valve Cleaning & Idle Reset.

insu

insu! Awesome tut mate!

I being a n00b.. got the AAC valve out all by myself. So proud lol

Now the car idles much better..

Not lumpy lumpy....*burble burble lumpy lumpy burble* anymore!

Now itis more like burble burble burble burble burble burble.. :)

:P mate!

• 1 month later...

Thanks a lot insu for the great write up!! I just purchased an R33 and it was idling real badly, not to mention the crazy amounts of stalling (especially when the A/C was on) due to the ridiculously low idle! I was so depressed because I was hoping this car to be sweet.

Anyways the whole thing went smoothly. No problem at all except as a few have mentioned with putting the idle screw back in. What I ended up doing was putting a bit of lube on the rubber of the screw and next I tried again, it went in smooothly.

Well anyways I am yet to drive the car after the DIY but now my car is sitting nicely with no idle hunting at 750 RPM, which strangely enough is the maximum I could get my car to idle as the screw is already at 12 oclock. But anyways, can't wait for the drive!! Hope it solves all the problem!

Cheerzzz mate!!

-mjscar

insu...mate...just wow. i had no idea just how much it was hunting until i did the d.i.y. got it sitting at around 900-950rpm and went for a drive. its so smooth and theres no vibration anymore. it revs cleaner too. is that meant to change? i dunno if its just me but it seems like its almost fixed a flat spot that i had at bout 2500rpm.

either way im happy. only one issue though. my ecu doesnt seem to have an adjustment screw. the car is a s1 r33 built in May '95. is it possible i have the s2 ecu? is the s2 ecu different to the s1? coz i looked at the back of the unit, and while it has similar holes to the one in the picture posted earlier it doesnt have a screw. i took off the transparent plastic film thing and had a good look around with a torch. no screw. what gives?

again dude thanks for the write up. it works and works well. its given me some more confidence in doing stuff to my car myself. >_<

Mark

Does disconnecting the AAC valve elec connector when idling make the idle drop?

TPS can def affect the idle.

Loosen the little screws on the tps while the car is running and turn it to adjust it so its 'closed'.

Closed voltage should read something like 0.3v from memory.

If its sitting too high, even when turned all the way, you might want to try cleaning out the throttle body, if you get enought deposits in there, it can hold the plate ever so slightly off giving a higher reading on the TPS when closed.

Also it could be any number of other things causing the higher idle, such as a malfunctioning cold start valve or a vacuum leak.

If at all possible find someone who has consult or the portable one NewKleer made, it'll let you check the majority of your sensors to see if they're working correctly.

First thing I would do is what I said up the top, if when you disconnect the AAC valve, the idle drops that tells you that its something electrical, or sensor related. If the idle doesn't drop, it tells you it's most likely someting mechanical, so you should check: TPS, Cold start, AAC itself, Idle bypass screw, vacuum leaks (do that by running the car and spraying brake cleaner/carby cleaner/start ya bastard at various places around the inlet manifold/hoses/inlet pipe, if the idle rises when you spray it in a certain spot, you've found your vacuum leak).

Oh and BTW I just saw your car is a R32 GTR, so i'm not 100% sure if all of the above is exactly true for your car, but it couldn't be much different, the TPS voltage just might be different.

Edited by insu

When I took mine off for the clean I took the idle adjust screw all the way out. Around it was a rubber sleeve. Now whenever I try to screw it back in the sleeve just rolls up the screw and I'm concerend that air may leak in through any gaps.

Spray it with WD40, RP7 etc. It will go back in easy without damaging the rubber.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hmmmmm, all the pics are there. For some reason they've all just been compiled together at the bottom of the post rather than in their correct places. I'm guessing this has something to do with the board update.

If it doesn't fix itself, i'll reformat the post.

Awesome DIY I followed this and cleaned the one on my R34 its very similar it just looks a bit different. :rofl:

Hmmm something is still going on funky with the post as I can see it too. Like I said I'm guessing it has something to do with the forum update.

Can anyone else please view the first page and let me know exactly how it is layed out to them?

Thanks,

-Insu

Ok I've modified the post to put the pictures back in the body of text, just two issues with this

1) The attachments are all still attached down the bottom, I don't know how to get rid of them?

2) The photo's are displaying in full size rather than the click-able thumb's they were before.

Can someone please verify that the post is working? Ie photos are coming up in order etc.

Oh and if anyone is reading the post and thinks one of the photo's doesnt match the text, let me know. I might have got it wrong when I put them back up.

Cheers

-Insu

If anyone can let me know how to change those full size photo's back to the thumbnails please let me know. I think it makes the DIY alot easier to read when they were small.

Cheers

-Insu

• 3 weeks later...

just a heads up.

i little while ago i cleaned my acc with the above method and worked well.

Sometime later i started to have idle problems at random times, good for one day bad for another. while i was changing my injectors i was trying to remove the acc idle valve bottem rubber hoses, and the hole metal peace which they attach to came away from the acc valve. this might have happend when i was using to much force to get the hoses off when i did the clean. i had to remove the acc valve and glue the pipe fitting back in. (its only a press fitting) the pipe fitting might have been just sitting there which was causeing the bad idle from time to time when the engine moved.

just thought it pays to be aware..

i cant see pics :P

fitting my splitfires and thought i may as well give the AAC a clean while im at it...

and is carby cleaner the same as degreaser? i was at super cheap and they didnt have anything at all called carby cleaner.