SAU Community

Oil Control In Rb's For Circuit Drag Or Drift

• 1 month later...

Has anyone seen or used mines cam cover baffles with no foam ?

i Have mines cam cover baffles but without foam (was like that since previous owner built the engine) and also my friends uncle imported a 34 Gtr from japan built by JUN many years ago and he said his was the same

pros and cons of this ? Should I be adding the foam in there ? 

Also im not sure if the stock metal gauze/mesh is in there either

Well, obviously, if you have nothing in there to keep the mist in the engine the mist is going to flow to your catch can setup and you will have to deal with an increased amount of oil - whatever that "dealing with" entails.

They should have foam in them and if they don't they will still "work", for a given smaller value of the term "work".

• Thanks 1

The standard mesh was quite unimpressive when i opened up a cover

20180204_123402.thumb.jpg.16b37fd82ae97f2c6a6d9e5c0edd25a5.jpg

I took advise from iruvyouskyrine and did the fuel cell foam method, havent started the car yet but its got the old oil blowing motor back in it so will be a good test.

• 11 months later...

Well.... Dyno just finished on my forged rb25det build. Fitted a blanking plug on the centre hole and left the other 2.

It now has noisy lifters above 5K rpm and gets worse as it revs. Oil pressure is spot on. My tuner said to never use restrictors in a hydraulic lifter head as he has seen this before... 

Lesson learnt, never take advice from this page without discussing with professionals.... FFS.... 

21 minutes ago, Nate NRP said:

Fitted a blanking plug on the centre hole and left the other 2.

I can't see that as a recommended option in "the table"

21 minutes ago, Nate NRP said:

My tuner said to never use restrictors in a hydraulic lifter head as he has seen this before

How does he explain why so many other people (including me) have fitted restrictors / blocked oil feeds, and haven't had noise problems?

45 minutes ago, GTSBoy said:

Additional restriction is a thing when the oil pump has been upgraded.  Not just a "because" thing.

Learnt my lesson mate, only have spool pump gears and a collar so no need for a restriction at all.. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GeeDog said:

I can't see that as a recommended option in "the table"

How does he explain why so many other people (including me) have fitted restrictors / blocked oil feeds, and haven't had noise problems?

Did exactly what it says on the table. Have you always been a flamin mongrel or do you still have bits of your mum stuck to you from birth? 

Screenshot_20190315-185603.png

8 minutes ago, Nate NRP said:

Have you always been a flamin mongrel or do you still have bits of your mum stuck to you from birth? 

Which part of the table did you follow? I can't see any of the options that say to leave the rear feed as is.

You'll make lots of friends here dude - good luck with your engine..... FYI my mother died a few months ago - so lets hope we meet up one day and I'll rip whatever is left of your mother off you, you fcking arsehole.

Edited by GeeDog
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

That table would probably be better with 1.25 restrictors instead of blocked off for the standard pump cases.  That would include the N1 pump, because it's really not that much larger (if at all) than a stocker.  Neos have the N1 pump, for example.

I used to sell restrictors and often for hydraulic lifters including my own RB30 with an N1 pump and external fed VVT ...think it was 2 x 1mm from memory but was years ago and my memory is fading.  Joe Kyle built the RB30.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, I'm getting oil come out of my catch can.

Its a 2.6, which was just recently built, after spinning a bearing at the track with an inferior oil control setup (small hi octane catch can and overfilled sump lol). 

- 9l sump baffled, with trap doors
- 1mm restrictor
- Hi octane cam cover baffles
- 5l baffled catch can setup  (2x breathers from the head, sump drain, sump vent and a big filter vented to atmo)
- Nitto head drain
- Nitto oil pump
- Nitto crank collar, with crack tested crank
- Custom oil cooler setup

Now the issue is, I'm getting oil coming out of the filter on the catch can. This even happens on regular drives with a pull here and there. I cant quite work out why, as the catch can is a decent size, is heavily baffled and it even has a drain. 

I don't like the fact oil is spilling out. Is there an issue with the breathing of the engine, or is it just a problem with where the filter is located?

image.thumb.png.0d19682d8b4d9f49f584cc3d6313e403.png

Edited by Darmanin10
  • Like 1

To help you diagnose - try putting a vacuum/pressure sensor on the sump and logging it.

You might find it is being pressurized - hence oil can't get back to the sump from catch can or rocker covers and fills the can. 

Also (what I can't quite see) you have two breathers to the catch can, and only one to atmo?  Consider making this larger otherwise the velocity of air out can be high and drag oil mist with it.

I was going to say the same things as R32 TT just did.  Pressure gauge hooked up to the breather vents, see what sort of pressure is in the system.  (OK, not same, similar.  He says measure at sump, and if the situation is bad the pressure down there will be higher than at top of engine).

As to the catch can, a single small vent to atmosphere may be restrictive relative to the volume of flow coming out of the engine and lead to pressurisation, high velocity through it and easy oil mist carry over.  The solution might be a 2nd catch can in series to try to give somewhere for the oil mist carryover to drop.  If that worked, I would plumb the exit back into turbo inlet to not breathe to atmosphere at all and the suction from the turbo would also help to reduce the back pressure.

It looks like it should.  It's certainly more than double the XS area of the 2 main inlets, so it should be less restrictive than the pipework leading to it.

Doesn't mean that the whole package isn't just being pushed too hard by excessively large amounts of blowby.  Probably should check that, as described above.

One other thing to check.    Are you absolutely sure that you haven't slightly overfilled the sump?

If it is just a little too full, more than you need then suddenly you have the crank churning up oil and frothing it up.. that will sit up in the rocker covers and be pushed out - the aeration makes more volume, which is turn makes it worse and gets churned up by the crank more.

Try taking a litre out and go for a drive.  (watch you oil pressure obviously, but a litre shouldn't hurt)

That catch can exit looks like plenty I would have thought.