SAU Community

Home Builders In Wa

SR32

I'm looking into building a house...Yippeee.

Im just wandering if anyone has any advice and/or negative or positive comments in regards to builders in WA?

So far it's been suggested to stay away from Homebuyers Centre, Scott Park and Commodore Homes.

Thanks in advance :P

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will most likely be building with Ross North homes, give them a call and have them send you out all their details. My old man runs a new housing plumbing business and has reccommended them to me.

Yeah, I've heard nothing but positive comments about Ross North. I really wanted to build with them, but for their prices I can almost get a 2 storey with in-vogue.

GWP021- what do you mean by project builder?

youre crazy if you choose to build at the moment, there is such a backlog of people waitin 4 their houses to be built. we signed up over 18 months ago and only just moved in at xmas time. most building companys are also issuing people with price rises AFTER the contract is signed and stuff and the quality of workmanship across the board has gone downhill cos they are trying to pump out so many houses.

Well i think its like most things...some people llike one company and others dont... MrGTST (Brett) and myself are building at the moment through Scott Park, and they have been absolutely fantastic..saw the display house in Darch, signed up, they were friendly and helpful with our changes and have rang us and told us what is going on, everything has been smooth sailing!!!

A mate just got his keys after more than 2 years and the house is still not even close to right.

Our new workshop was spose to take 5 months from sign up but after3 1/2 months the block was only starting to be cleared yesterday and with whats being built theres no way it will be done in the next 6 weeks.

Makes you wonder how long WAs boom can last?

If you can buy an established house at least you know exactly what you are getting from the day you inspect the house. Everyone will have good and bad things to say about different builders it's just the way it is but the quality of houses being built at the moment is no where near the quality of those build 5+ years ago......they are all just too rushed and too busy to care

exactly!!!

i would way prefer to buy established ... also cos u get gardens n stuff... its killer moving into new house and having to spend more money than u earn!!!

yay for sandpits hahaha

Established is a worry also.Houses in my street have jumped near 200k in 3 years as have many others and theres no way that price is going to last , I think that theres a lot of money to be lost in WA now if new buyers are not super carefull.I would hate to be in the market for a house right now.

The perth bubble will pop, and im guessing it won't be too far off now, the eastern states burst a couple years back now, and people on average lost 150-200k of value in the housing, they are now rooted, they have to sit on those suckers for a good 10-15 yrs to see a return now..

couple of friends just nsapped up a place in qld at a good price, already has tenants in it, they're just gunna let that one apreciate over time..

but as for perth, id say give it another year, saddly ripper, the wanker won't chop the stamp duty out of this years budget, which is one of the main reasons people are not selling up and moving atm, which causes prices to go up due to increased demand and not much of a market, as it costs around 70k to shift house, thats money you don't see, it goes in fee's duty etc, its farked..

id say 12-18 month, the bubble will burst, and value will crash, its got to, if the economy keeps going the way it is, say hello to a recesion..

its near on impossible to lose money in property...

the only advantages of building a house is that a) u can choose a house exactly the way u want it, and b) u make a bit more profit than established

But you take inspiration from other houses etc and you could mess it up..

My mate works on timber roofing all day long for Scott Park, I'd recommend Scott Park, as I been around Ashby lately which is mostly them.

Don't buy now. It's the worst time ever. Our value has more than doubled..

Our market is very different to whats happening over east.... Head 30mins N/NE of Perth or 45mins S of Perth and you will the amount of vacant land available and ready to be sub-divided, not to mention the amount of bushland that could be cleared for construction.

You would need to travel several hours out of Sydney, for example, to find areas of similar size that is available.

Our building boom will surely continue as this area becomes available, and with the major rush at the moment, banks would be crazy to pump the interest rates coz it would inevitably drop the market on its ass....

Having both immediate family and lots of friends in the housing and real estate industry as well as speaking to numerous builders of the last 6mths, I am quite confident of building at the moment

The perth bubble will pop, and im guessing it won't be too far off now, the eastern states burst a couple years back now, and people on average lost 150-200k of value in the housing, they are now rooted, they have to sit on those suckers for a good 10-15 yrs to see a return now..

Never has property EVER fallen by that much in WA. Even when interest rates were in the 15-20% range. The examples you are looking at are inflated inner city prices for small units/apartments ect in the Eastern States where there was a massive over supply when the demand falls.

it costs around 70k to shift house, thats money you don't see, it goes in fee's duty etc, its farked..

If you're buying a property worth around 600k it would possibly cost this much in fees. I'd imagine your 1st house would be worth around 250-300k which I think you'll find fees, stamp duty and all will be in the 20-30k range. And yes - stamp duty does suck ass..

Don't buy now. It's the worst time ever. Our value has more than doubled

That is possibly the stupidest statement I've ever heard. The longer you wait the more it will cost. I've got mates trying to buy in Scarbs and his indecision over the last 18mths has cost him about 200k due to price increases. If you had've bought in NISMOS's area when he did - you would've doubled your money by now.

Prices have been rising in Perth at a rapid rate, BUT - interest rates are low and there is no massive hike foreseeable. Small increases -yes, but nothing in the order of 2-3% increases that would make the repayments unaffordable.

Prices fell or corrected in the 80s due to people having to get out because of the massive interest rates of around 17%. That ain't gonna happen soon. Also - if you look at the figures, the price corrections were only in the order of 2-5% AFTER they'd already risen by 40%. Only those who over stretched themselves on huge interest rates were caught out.

What is going to happen is that prices are going to steadily increase as more and more people come to the state and as WA expands and the demand increases.

By not purchasing now you're costing yourself more money because the prices have gone up and you've also lost out on the capital growth you could've had. Using that logic, my mate trying to buy in Scarbs has really lost 400k - 200k in extra cost and 200k in lost opportunity of capital growth.... scary ain't it?

Sorry for the long post - but when I see people make crazy statements as those above - it makes me a little frustrated.

spot on caminperth....

I have been looking at houses to build for around $150K, prices have gone by approx 7-8% in the last 6mths, so if your in the market to build, or atleast considering it, sooner the better I reckon......

From the info I have gathered from those in the know, atleast 18-24mths of this 'boom' type market will continue......

Our market is very different to whats happening over east.... Head 30mins N/NE of Perth or 45mins S of Perth and you will the amount of vacant land available and ready to be sub-divided, not to mention the amount of bushland that could be cleared for construction.

You would need to travel several hours out of Sydney, for example, to find areas of similar size that is available.

Our building boom will surely continue as this area becomes available, and with the major rush at the moment, banks would be crazy to pump the interest rates coz it would inevitably drop the market on its ass....

Having both immediate family and lots of friends in the housing and real estate industry as well as speaking to numerous builders of the last 6mths, I am quite confident of building at the moment

:O

I have been looking at houses to build for around $150K, prices have gone by approx 7-8% in the last 6mths, so if your in the market to build, or atleast considering it, sooner the better I reckon......

Yup. The only thing to be very aware of here - and I'm sure you are - is that 99% of building contracts allow the builder to increase his price if his costs go up. Though if you factor this in you should be fine building.

Main problem is that the building association protects builders, not consumers, and it's the one that regulates the contracts that you sign..