SAU Community

Hobbies Scale Model Kits

what scale was that S14 in? if it was 1:18 that isnt that bad a price, though the car it is, i really wouldnt pay that much either.

we have Vspec 34 GTR models for sale in 1:18 that are goin for $110.

can probably source a heap of models of nissan's etc if anyone interested.

1:24 scale. $85 for that is way too much......

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Tamiya make the better quality models, with more detail etc.... but Fujimi make the most models of anything! not only do they make heaps of different models of all kinds of cars, but they also do various kinds of wheels (deepdish, chrome and brands!!!), exhausts and bodykits. these however need to be ordered from model shops after you peer through the many pages of the catalouge, and aren't all that cheap, but they look mad!

ok, i've taken some pics of my models, not all of em, just the best ones......

the R34 Calsonic GTR, R33 Calsonic GTR, R33 Kure GTR, Nismo R33 GTR S tune. i changed the color from silver to GTR LM Blue, just cause it looks mad! you might notice that they are rather dusty. thats because im trying to find a cloth soft enough to dust them with scracthing the decals.

sorry for the blurryness of some of the photos, was using a cheap camera :P

post-17810-1143634375.jpg

post-17810-1143634425.jpg

post-17810-1143634462.jpg

post-17810-1143634493.jpg

post-17810-1143634540.jpg

post-17810-1143634574.jpg

post-17810-1143634608.jpg

sweet! got any pics? i reckon its interesting seeing what other people do differently to their models, with regards to paint and mods etc....

im close to finishing my Veilside S14. should be done by the weekend. i'll post up pics when its done.....

I spray paint the shell with the tamiya paint and then clear coat the shell for that real life look. (not recommended for cars with lots of decals on body) But if you do a few ultra fine light coats on the decals it's well worth the patience.

Once they have clear coat on em they are easier to dust off and clean.

Nice car pics fellas keep em coming. Also if you guys have any tips to share you know what to do.

I do the occasional car but mostly mil aircaft and armour. I play with bare metal foil and nice paint on them, mostly preferring auto paint like holts duplicolor which I settle and release the propellant then decant the paint and store in an airtight jar. Been a bit slack lately but I'm with a plastic modelling club way out the north side of Melbourne. I also have a custom model spray booth and compressor with Aztec double action airbrush.

I'll get up some photos later but some tips on photographing models. You need to go to macro to get clear shots up close. Also turn off the flash and get some nice light behind you. You might also need a small tripod to stay steady while the flash is off but it will get the best shots. Gets rid of the out of focus look. Resizing also doesn't help as it makes them look not quite right.

When installing decals, try to put them on gloss coat, even if you lightly brush it on so you get the best adhesion, then do your final coat over the top. We do a lot of matt finishes on weathered aircraft and armour so the gloss goes on, then decals, then matt and then the wash to get a dusted look before doing snow/sand/mud. Great for the "I've just finished Paris-Dakar" look.

Nice to see some other modellers on here. People think modellers are a bit strange but there are some real artists out there.

Some pics from a previous model expo I went to. Resized but I didn't think you'd like 6megapixel 2.7meg downloads.

post-6392-1143760547.jpg

post-6392-1143760578.jpg

A couple of recent ones. Took these photos at 1600 res but still blocky. Full res looks great.

1960 Corevette. Revell crap kit for a comp. All had to do the same model. tried a new clear coat that was all orange peel. Bumpers and headlight and windshield surround was alclad metal paint and the sides and seat surrounds are bare metal foil applique.

post-6392-1143762455.jpg

Leopard AS1 MBT with the Aussie conversion kit. In the old olive drab with mud cam as applied by the tankies. I spent 2 years in the Tank Regiment commanding Armoured Recovery Leopards, the Recovery Troop and at one time a troop of Gun tanks such as this.

post-6392-1143762625.jpg

Tamiya CLK GTR Warsteimer sportswear car. The toughest decals on the planet. The chick on the front has to mould around the headlights. lots of Mr Softer to get the decals on smooth.

post-6392-1143762650.jpg

OK... thought I might as well get in on it and post up some of mine....

A couple of them are missing some minor finishing touches, but they'll get there one day. :teehee:

Pics are rather crappy, not enough natural light, and if the flash was used, it made the paint look yuck, but that's enough excuses for now....

This is my 31 coupe.. I also have a metallic purple 4 door and a black "drift spec" 31 with GT-R mags which have been in the build process for a while now, I'll get around to finishing them one day.

I had to raise the brightness in this photo, only because the grey blended in with the black. :P

post-262-1143777222.jpg

This is my 32 GT-R

post-262-1143777253.jpg

My 33 GT-R...

I discovered that the LHS rear view mirror had fallen off when I went to take it out of it's display case, so you're not allowed to look at the other side.

The paint on this one is a funky metallic blue, but the metallic flecks in it flared when the flash went off, and it looks ultra strange... no, that isn't dust under/near the spoiler, it's flash flare :yucky:

post-262-1143777284.jpg

My 34 GT-R

Yellow.

I love yellow 34s, I didn't have to take time to think about what colour this one was going to be.

post-262-1143777310.jpg

A word of advice to anyone thinking of taking this up as a hobby, DON'T DO IT!

It becomes an obsession.

The collection of Skylines has now passed 100.

First we were going to stop at 50.... then 70... then 80.... then it got to the stage where we were so close, that we might as well see if we could hit the 100 mark.

We hit the 100 mark, then I found another new range which had been released, and I couldn't just walk away and leave them in the shop...

It's a good thing our boarder moved out, at least we have somewhere to put them all now :wacko:

Haha, too true, its a crazy obsession. I think i have around 20-30 die cast cars and another 20-30 built plastic kits and another 30 unbuilt! I know i'm not the best at it, but i find it relaxing. Maybe its all those paint fumes?

I'll take some pic's tonight.

Just to show everyone how bad it can get....

This is just a part of the collection..... :

post-262-1143785465.jpg post-262-1143785505.jpg post-262-1143785541.jpg post-262-1143785583.jpg post-262-1143785621.jpg

If anyone knows of any self help groups that can help people wean themselves from this addiction, now would be a good time to come forward... this addiction is starting to spiral out of control. :teehee: