SAU Community

Cat Sensor Question

sidewazegtst

Hey everyone what's up.

I wanted to know if the sensor attached to the Catalitic converter is simply reads the temp of the exhaust or does it work like the O2 sensor in the turbo extension?

Basically I want to know if I can remove that cat sensor all together and not have it screw up any readings going to the ecu or, if I bang a pipe through the cat (so my exhaust is straight through yet still appears legal) and I leave the sensor would that do anything?

I appreciate the help on this one guys, thanks so very much.

Take care.

Cheers

I can confirm it has no input to the ECU and to the best of my knowledge is simply a temperature switch which activates the dash warning light when things get a little hot.

I don't know what the fine in Canada is for gutting or removing a cat for a road registered vehicle but in Australia the fine is substantial ($10,000 for a company I believe) and therefore it would make most people think twice about gutting it or removing it!

Hope this helps,

Cheers

I can confirm it has no input to the ECU and to the best of my knowledge is simply a temperature switch which activates the dash warning light when things get a little hot.

I don't know what the fine in Canada is for gutting or removing a cat for a road registered vehicle but in Australia the fine is substantial ($10,000 for a company I believe) and therefore it would make most people think twice about gutting it or removing it!

Hope this helps,

Cheers

You helped me soooooooo much man, thank you. I was hoping it was something like that.

As for the fine, it's actually not to heavy a fine here and I don't go in to the "problem" spots where cops like to wait *cough*streetraces*cough* so most likely I'll be fine. I do appreciate your warning on it though.

Thanks again brother for everything.

Take care.

Cheers :)

• 3 weeks later...

The sensor is nothing but a heat activated switch for the orange "cat light" on the dash. You can indeed cut the entire sensor off (I only have a wire on my car now after i cut mine off) with no ill-effects. Most after market cats do not have a bung for the sensor anyway.

cool and the plug hole for the cat itself?.. i didtn get a cap for it :D tryna find a bolt but cant find the right size (at home that is) haha

Remove the sensor from the cat and go to somewhere like Bunnings where they have those rack of nuts & bolts that you can check the thread size & pitch. To plug up the std sensor hole, just buy a bolt the same thread and length as the sensor and bolt it it in the cat. But be warned - if you just cut off the sensor wire from the car and leave the sensor in, there is a piece that is prone to (loudly) rattle around and give you the sh!ts.

• 1 year later...

after those few ~38 degreee days of this summer, it seems the sensor itself has shit itself. the cat light in the cluster of my car is randomly flickering on and off.

i'm not thinking the cat has shit itself because i havn't seen any difference in performance. i've gone ahead and cut the sensor wire but the problem still persists.

i don't have any aftermarket managment like the powerfc so what could be the problem causing this?

=

...i don't have any aftermarket managment like the powerfc so what could be the problem causing this?

Its a temp sensor, so is often triggered by rich mixtures after burning out the back of the turbo.

Its a temp sensor, so is often triggered by rich mixtures after burning out the back of the turbo.

but the sensor wire is cut, therefore the sensor is not in use. so what would be the cause of the light STILL coming on?