SAU Community

What is the Greddy e-manage?

ed

Mostly taken from:

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/emanage/

E-manage – what it is and what it isn't

The Greddy E-manage is a simple fuel computer designed for Japanese automobiles. The intended purpose is to allow the user to fine-tune the fuel curve of the vehicle to take advantage of various modifications to the car.

There are many additional options for the E-manage, allowing the user to put together a system that suits their needs.

In its most basic form, the E-manage alters the primary airflow input to the car's ECU. By increasing or decreasing this signal, the ECU will alter the amount of fuel going into the engine.

While the E-manage is very powerful and flexible, a full stand-alone ECU is even more powerful. A stand-alone ECU replaces the entire fuel injection system with one that's designed to be easily programmable by a laptop computer. This gives the ultimate in flexibilty, but with a steep learning curve and a LOT of work required to tune in the fuel map properly. It's hard to say at what point it's wiser to go with a stand-alone than a piggyback computer (ie the E-manage) – it really depends on how good the car's ECU is to begin with, the amount of modifications, etc. If nothing else, the E-manage makes for a great stepping stone before going to a full stand-alone – you can learn to tune the car while having the factory fuel map to fall back on.

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Purchasing an E-manage and E-manage options

There are a number of components to the E-manage system. Let's break each one down.

E-manage main unit – the main brain of the whole deal. The unit by itself is VERY basic – there are 5 knobs you can adjust on the front of the unit to do a VERY rough fuel map with.

E-manage Support Tool – Now we're getting somewhere. Included in the kit is a serial to USB cable and a CD with the Support Tool software. The cable is proprietary, and not a standard cable. The software unlocks the full potential of the E-manage – 16x16 fuel maps, changing airflow meters, using the other optional harnesses, etc. You really need to have the Support Tool for the E-manage to be of any value.

NOTE: This serial to USB cable is a special cable of some kind – it doesn't seem to have any advanced logic, but it is weird and special enough that you can't just get one at a computer store. It plugs into your computer via the serial port and into the E-manage with a USB plug.

Optional Injection Harness – This splices into the stock fuel injectors for control and logging. With this harness, you can directly add pulsewidth to the stock injectors and datalog their activity. You can also directly control 2 additional injectors as well.

NOTE: You can buy JUST the ignition harness and use the extra wires for the injector harness. The ignition harness comes with 12 wires and an extra connector to plug into the E-manage. Most cars don't use all the wires – 4 cylinder and rotary cars especially. Look at the E-manage manual, find your car, and find out how many wires you need for igntion control and for injector control. Make sure to add 2 wires to the total if you plan to use additional injectors. If the total is less than 12, buy just the ignition harness and add the extra wires to the main E-manage plug for your injector harness. The injector harness is just some wires with ends crimped on them that you add to the main E-manage plug.

Optional Ignition Harness – This splices into the car's timing input, from a crank angle sensor, cam angle sensor, or the like. With this you can alter the car's ignition timing.

Greddy Pressure Sensor – This is a 3-bar air pressure sensor add-on. With it, you can tune your fuel maps with this sensor's output as the basis for tuning instead of the car's airflow signal input. This is primarily used when you've overrun the capacity of the stock airflow meter. Whether or not you need this is a tough question – it's really best to run the car without it first and see if you're maxing out the stock airflow meter signal before investing in the pressure sensor.

NOTE: the peak/hold/warning Greddy boost gauge uses the SAME sensor, so you can share that sensor's output with the E-manage.

Pressure Sensor Harness – it's simply the wiring harness to plug the sensor into the E-manage. If you're using the boost gauge's sensor, you can buy just this harness and tap it into the boost gauge's harness.

Larger Injectors + emanage???

The E-manage really works well with larger injectors, and larger injectors are highly recommended. Greddy advertises that you can increase injector size 150% - this is not really a limitation of the E-manage, but of the engine itself. Larger injectors will squirt more fuel at their smallest pulsewidth, and too large injectors will cause idling and running problems. But, additional injectors can be added as well to supplement the stock injectors.

emanage = Apexi S-AFC???

The closest competition to the E-manage is the Apexi Super-AFC. The Super-AFC is a very nice and powerful unit, and they both have their advantages and disadvantages. The E-manage is far more capable, but does require a laptop (or the E-01 boost controller) to program. The Super-AFC is simpler, but is self-contained – you program it right on the unit's display. The Super-AFC doesn't handle larger injectors as easily as the E-manage, doesn't control additional injectors, doesn't do ignition timing, and doesn't have datalogging (though it does do some MAP tracing on the screen, but they can't be saved and are tricky to interpret). It's still a great computer, though. The E-manage is really the next step up.

emanage + different AFM's???

One big source of confusion on the E-manage is its ability to let you use different airflow meters. While this can be done, there are some limitations and rules to play by.

First off, you can only change an airflow meter for another meter of similar type. For example, if you have a hotwire airflow meter, you can use ANY hotwire airflow meter, even if it's from another manufacturer. The software/firmware only has Japanese airflow meters listed - US AFM's could be used in theory, but you'd have to find its Japanese equivalent. Anyhow, if you have a flap-type airflow meter, you can only use another flap-type; if you have a Karmann, you can only use another Karmann.

This option might be helpful for Subaru owners who have had problems with less-than-durable airflow meters - might be able to swap to a Nissan unit, or even another Subaru unit that's hardier.

Second, you can't get rid of the airflow meter and use a MAP sensor. Even if you add the optional Greddy pressure sensor, you must still have an airflow meter in the system. The Greddy pressure sensor simply adds another basis for your fuel maps in the E-manage - you can use it to tune your fuel maps instead of the input from the airflow meter (very useful if your airflow meter has run out of range), but that's all internal to the E-manage.

Greddy Profec e-01 Boost Controller + emanage???

Greddy Profec e-01 is an electronic boost controller that utilises fuzzy logic and also incorporates a SD card slot to record/playback data. Not only is the E-01 a boost controller, it's also a central data and information system. The E-01 will record data, monitor information on the screen, give you peak/hold/warning features for any data streams it's monitoring...it really complements the E-manage well. Even if you don't intend to program the E-manage with it, it's really a handy tuning aid as a laptop is rather cumbersome to keep in the car and watching at all times!

The E-01 can fully control and program the E-manage. With the E-01, you can record and monitor the E-manage's inputs/outputs, tune the various maps, set up the unit, etc. You can save up to 3 maps in the E-01's memory card and rather easily switch between them. In theory, you can have multiple memory cards and swap in different maps.

The E-01 seems like a pretty good way to tune the E-manage, but initial tuning should probably be done with a laptop. The E-01 is really better suited for doing "tweaking" to your fuel maps instead of heavy number-crunching tuning. Part of this is just the limitation of the display, lack of an Undo function, etc.

The E-01 is also supposed to share its boost sensor with the E-manage - there is an optional cable that goes from the E-01's COM port to the Boost Sensor port on the E-manage. The E-01 can also datalog input from Greddy peak/hold/warning gauges, albeit only one can be connected at a time.

• 2 months later...

Hey ED i heard from Eric at BEL that you recently got your e-manage from him for $900.. was just wondering what did that include again? i called him the other day but forgot what he said, gonna talk to him on next week.. from what i remember it was:

-E-manage unit

-one of the harnesses (which one tho?- ignition or injector)?

-plus installtion and tuning

= $900 right?

your car is pretty stock right no exhaust or pod filter?

heard you got 10rwkw from just the unit, hows the car feel now at lower and top end?.. and fuel consumption better?

sorry Ed few more questions

can e-manage override the speed limiter of 180km/h? or do you need a speed cut defender?

=)

900 was just the basic unit, so basically i'm only controlling air/fuel right now.

ok unigroup dyno in shootoutmode

catback - 152rwkw

full exhaust & apexi power intake - 164rwkw

emanage - 174rwkw

I'm still running about 11 AFR's, so still a tad rich.

Car feels alot better all round :rolleyes:

i didn't track fuel consumption before/after.

No it can't remove the 180 speed limiter.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys Just thought I'd share my experience with e-manage. The only significant limitations I've found so far is that you cannot use the ignition control harness on automatics, and the speed limit as previously mentioned.

We can supply and fit them with all the optional harnesses for $1200.

As far as tuning goes they are a superb unit, and work well when doing AFM upgrades, eg Nissans using the 300ZX afm instead of a stock one. The basic air flow adjsut map works ok, much better than an SAFC, but the true benefits can be found after tuning the injector pulsewidths and you start to tune the timing.

For the value for money I reckon they're one of the best interceptor style engine management systems around.

Doc.

i am very interested in both the e-01 and the e-manage together. i didnt realise that it is possibe 2 set up the e-manage through the e-01. my mechanic advise me to buy the apexi S-afc + Avc-r and the e-manage. he said that ill have 2 much trouble with setting up the e-manage!

i thinks the lazy bitch hasnt come across the e-manage yet and wants to stick to what he know best!

cheers!

The SAFC and AVCR have got nothing on the e-manage....

The e-manage is a tuners delight, so quick and easy to tune... If they can't tune it what can they tune?

It's a must to get all the harnesses.....

Doc.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

you can use the 'screw adjustment' on the emanage to start with for a small amount of adjustment out of the box and without harness and software.

However with the harness and software it allows a full 16x16 map of fuel and ignition and many other features.

Spot on rev210...

The e-manage is WAY better than the SAFC, I never even used those 5 screws, just wen't straight for full fuel map control :D it's so wonderfull to tune with....

• 3 weeks later...

I've got an emanage for sale. I'm in Brisbane.

emanage.jpg

Just got it last week was going to install it but due to unforseen circumstances can no longer keep it.

It sells here for $781 including harness plus postage from japan... http://www.perfectrun.com.au/performance%2...eddyemanage.htm

It sells here for $1180 including harnesses.

http://www.flyn.com.au/home.htm

I will sell for $700 ONO

Email to make me an offer.

[email protected] for questions thanks as i am going to put it on different forums and i wont get time to check them all....