SAU Community

Fixing Your Rb26 Afm's

PHATR32

I did this fix to my GT-R about 8 years ago and it hasn't missed a beat since.

At the time, I wrote it all up but never got around to putting it up online.

One thing I would add is that I also found bad solder joints on the AFM board itself. Once I had the lid off the AFM, I repaired these as follows:

- carefully lever the copper cover upwards to gain access to the board beneath (see crappy photo - taken after resoldering)

- the three solder joints circled in red at bottom right of the top board were bad and needed resoldering

- the other solder joints circled in yellow on that board looked reasonable, but I resoldered them anyway

Note: Do not touch the lower board. It has been made using a completely different process (surface mounting) and is much more delicate. It also should not have the problem of “dry joints”.

Good luck!

Dave.

post-20765-0-28460900-1316314067_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

My car doesnt rev up to 3k now, since I opened and cheked the AFM's yesterday, didnt do anything or resoldered, but before that, I experienced the same but I can manage to rev it higher just pumping the gas always, but now, I cant rev it high even often pumping the gas, I also clean the fuel filter checked the plugs and coil pack which seems ok. Now I dont know what to check next. Please help.

Had my car diagnosed and found error code 0012. w/c is AFM . So I told the mechanic it cannot be since I think the AFM is in good condition. So he decided to remove the socket while the engine is running and it died. so he ruled out that it might not be the AFM, he removed the silicon rubber inside the housing of the socket w/c is in not good condition and connect it again and whoalla!! It run as normal condition, we decided to diagnose again and the error was gone but another came out w/c is code 0055 (condition normal). we checked the code error here in this forum and it was listed "No Malfunction". I will drive test it later just to be sure!!

Great help on this forum!!!

• 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 1 year later...