SAU Community

Shockabsorber 101

• 2 months later...

My GTS25T had the SK Bilstein kit fitted all round in 2005 , not long before I bought it , and the rear Billys were changed out today . One was perfect where the other had leaked it's gas and oil though still had a perfect shaft .

I wouldn't fit anything else to a road Skyline even if it was going to do the odd track day . I think some people reach for the bling coil overs without realising that direct replacement dampers and springs can work real well without the dramas of spherical tops etc .

Your calls though the SK spec Bilsteins springs etc can still be bought new I believe . Those rears had an extra top circlip groove machined upwards because I can't stand real low road cars , mine are set two up from the original std Bilstein groove and can go up one more if necessary . I started to get a few tyre rub issues when I went to 245/45/17s after running 235/45/17s and when Gary measured my car it was a tad front low compared to how it should be . Originally this was done because people didn't like the front height with the front circlips where they were supposed to be and these cars settle about 8mm in the first 1000 od km . You were supposed to come back to have the front raised one groove but my cars previous owner must not have done this . I aim to raise the front 16mm (two circlip grooves) and if it can be done in time have a couple of extra higher ones machined in just in case .

I believe a road Skyline can be too low and the suspension geometry can suffer because of it , for example if control arms angle upwards to the hubs the roll camber change is probably wrong and roll resistance not as it could be .

Will find out in time , cheers Adrian .

• 2 years later...

Great thread ruined by off topic questions cluttering it up and people not reading information already posted. This is exactly how posters with experience to share get pissed off and leave, STF up and listen dream boats.