SAU Community

How To Install Apexi Power Intake

slimjim

One of the first modifications done to a stock car these days apart from exhaust and rims, are pod filters. This is my first mod I have done to my fairly stock GT-R, and as such, thought I would write up my first tutorial.

After buying this kit for my GT-R, I found out that the entire manual is in Japanese. I searched all over the net for a tutorial on how to install it, but found nothing. As it turns out, it was fairly simple, but thought I would write something up for anyone who was in the same position as me :spank:

Item - Apex'i Power Intake (Apex'i #507-N001)

Time taken - 1-2 hrs (less after reading this ;) )

Tools - Socket set, flat head screw driver, 10 ml spanner.

01.jpg

Ok. This is what you got with a stock GT-R.

First off, unclip all the clips holding the top of the airbox to the bottom of the airbox. There are four to undo.

Next, you have to unbolt the top AFM from the side of the airbox. Use a 10ml socket on these.

1.jpg

Here you can see the first AFM unbolted. The yellow arrow shows where the second AFM is. Underneath the airbox.

I found out it was damn near impossible to get to the second AFM with anything. Here's the trick.

87d10e19.jpg

Get the longest flat head screwdriver you can find, and stick it under that big pipe, as the arrow shows. You have to undo the clamp that holds the second AFM to the rubber intake pipe. Also unplug the plug on the side. (Pretend the top of the airbox is still on at this point :ninja: )

31809b3b.jpg

After that fiddly bit, you should be able to grab the top of the airbox, give it a fair wiggle, and it should come out, with second AFM still attatched. :P

At this point, undo the clamp and plug on the first AFM and remove as well. Be careful not to lose the O-rings off the AFMs! (thanks saliya)

5.jpg

Next, remove the air filter and undo these three bolts -

cfa2fa20.jpg

and remove the bottom of the airbox. Too easy! Now you're left with this -

7.jpg

Now comes the fun part! Using the diagram in your installation manual -

diagram.jpg

Assemble the first pod, the one that sits closest to your headlight. Do the bolts that join the AFM and the metal flange up tightly, but finger tighten the rest, as they need to be adjusted in the car. You will find you will need to use a spanner on some of the bolts, as a socket would foul against the metal flange, so tiny turns with a spanner are in order! Also, the metal is quite soft, so be careful not to mark it too much.

Drop the whole thing in, and do up the two bolts that hold it to the chassis.

You should be looking at this -

8.jpg

Now put together the other pod. Be careful, the diagram is incorrect for brace number 7. It should bolt onto the metal flange on the OPPOSITE hole to the brace that holds the two pods together, NOT the next one over, as shown. That is, unless my number 7 brace was bent wrong, but I found it lined up with the hole on the chassis much better if I ignored the diagram.

9.jpg

Drop it into place. Put all the screws in the right places, as according to the diagram. Finger tighten everything, make sure all the black braces are in the right spots.

Once everything is lined up and in place, tighten everything up. Don't forget the metal clamps that hold the AFMs to the rubber intake pipes, and clip their plugs back in too.

And voila!

10.jpg

Now time for a CAI box!

Hope this was helpful!

:PBJ:

Edited by slimjim

There is a suitable Power Intake kit for Djetro version of RB26 also.

It may save some pipework hacking as you won't (or shouldnt) have to skip the airflow meter flanges

where do u get the CAI box for this?.. im looking for one also

Apex'i used to make CAI boxes for these, but they have been discontinued as far as I'm aware. Looks like its a custom job now!

nice tute :mad:

I would put in the 'removing AFM' bit "be very careful not to lose the o-rings" because they're

buggers to replace if they get lost...

Regards,

Saliya

Thanks, added :P

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 1 month later...