SAU Community

Loud Thump Sound When Releasing Clutch Pedal.

Drivebai

HEy all.

Sometimes early in the morning when i start my car i hear a loud thump sound when the engine kicks over.

This only happens sometimes. IF i start the car with the clutch pressed in.. i won't hear the thump unless i release the clutch.

Sounds like its comeing from the back of the car but i'm not sure. also sometimes when i'm sitting at the lights and press the clutch in there is a slight thump but you have to listen for it and sometimes you can feel it.

Does anyone have any ideas? of course when i take it to the mechanic it doesn't do it!!!

The car still drives fine no problems...

PLEASE HELP!!!

Thanks

i changed diff oil as well..but still makes that thump sound.. at least i am not alone.. the car still drives fine.

to those people who are experiencing the same problem please notify the rest of us if you figure it out or if your car suddenly falls apart.

THanks all

• 4 weeks later...

Yea mine does this aswell found out it is either the bachlashes on the bearings in diff or possibly the preloads on the lsd section aswell (just had mine replaced) or wear and tear on your universal joints on the tail shaft, its nothing to worry about unless it gets worse i been told but is annoying, but you can possibly have it starting to do open wheelers around corners if it is too loose though.

Correct me if i'm wrong, the sound most properly came because you are using a H/D clutch. It's the sound of the clutch engaging/clamping with the flywheel. It shouldn't be a problem at all unless u are just particular with the sound.

My 2 Cents

If it's not in gear, how would the clutch be releasing/grabbing anything? Could it be a carrier bearing or something along those lines?

i have this problem i know it not the clutch in mine i had it checked out if the sound comes from mid car or near rear it is either the tailshaft or preloads or backlashes as it is in mine, it only happens when the car actually gets moving and happens no more than 2 secs after its just picking up that little bit of slack in tailshaft or in diff not bad until it gets worse

try checking the exaust. sometimes it can move when you start the engine and hit the floor of the car or somehwere in the rear.

Get someone to put there foot on the exaust when you start (put some pressure on it holding it in place) and see if you still have the problem.

Hmm... mine will make a clunk if I push the clutch in while reversing... like if you're feathering the clutch.

Never when I just turn the key... I can't see how it would be taking up any slack at all... it's not in gear, so there should be no drive to the tail-shaft or rear diff, or wheels.

I like the exhaust option more... I was going to suggest a bad engine mount or something... I guess a bad mount would make the engine jump a bit, which would lift your dump and exhaust system.