SAU Community

How To Fit A Z32 Afm

Ok guys many of us have done this before but no one has done a full DIY for it...

I did the research on series 2 skylines and found no one had documented the wiring...

So below is a summary on how too for Series 1 & 2...

What you need to complete the job (Both S1 & S2)

* Soldering Iron

* Solder

* Heat shrink

* Lighter or other heat source

* Screw Drivers

* 10mm & 8mm Spanners

* Black Electrical Tape

* Side cutters & or Wire strippers

* Can of coke and a pie (Optional)

SERIES 1 R33 (Standard 4 wires)

Start by removing your OEM afm from the engine bay.

1. Remove the air filter box and or pod filter

2. Disconnect the connector (plug) from the afm

3. Using a 8mm spanner loosen the hose clamps on the afm (turbo side)

4. Remove the afm

5. Cut the plug from the car (Cut it at least 10-12cm back from the plug, so u can use it again in the future.)

6. Splice all wires and prep for soldering

7. Cut small lengths of heat shrink and place over each wire

8. Use series 1 wiring guide below to twist together new plug harness and OEM harness

9. Solder joints (Must solder, no dodgey work)

10. Place heat shrink over joint and apply heat

11. Once all have been soldered and heat shrunk. Wrap the whole harness in black electrical tape.

12. Put afm back in car in reverse order from step 5

SERIES 2 R33 (Standard 3 wires)

Do exactlly as Series 1 steps above.

Except in step 8 use the series 2 wiring diagram.

OK the attachments...

Z32AFMWiringcopy.jpg

Now all you need to do is match up...

* signal with signal

* ground with ground

* power with power

For Series 2 owners you need to join wire 3 & 4 on the Z32 Plug and join it to the White with blue trace on the standard harness. So in english you are sharing both ground and signal ground as the same ground to the ecu.

For Series 1 owners please write down the colour codes on the wires as they come out of your standard plug so you know where to match them up when you cut the harness down further...

First series 1 owner to do this mod can you please pm me you wiring colours from left to right so i can make it even easier. Thanks Col

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

I'm sorry is this is a newbie question but, would you need to use a SAFC or some type of computer in order to run a Z32 maf? I know for my SR20 I had to use a SAFC to change the MAF values in order for my car to even run. Is this the same for the RB25DET?

yes as the stock ecu only supports the stock airflow meter. you can remap the stock ecu to suit other airflow meters or use a piggyback or an aftermarket ecu

• 3 weeks later...

hi I'm anthony and I live in Britain (no idea why!) - I'm driving an R33gtst and this tutorial is exactly what I'm looking for thanks guys nice n straight forward an important tips like can o coke n pie too! :P

I have just one question ..I have an old style apexi SAFC like the one in the pic below:

liner_bit05.jpg

...my question is will I have to lean this SAFC off once i fit the Z32?

Other than a HKS induction and decat pipe my car is standard with original ECU too. I think it had boost controller fitted but its not there now.

The reason I ask is because my old AFM is on its way out, I have a Z32 sat there and I'm having an apexi PowerFC fitted at end of the month ;)

thanks alot

anthony

newcastle

uk

HEy Anthony thanks for the praise...

Mate if your getting a pfc at the end of the month then dont bother with the SAFC, I mean the pfc will do everything you want and you will need to get it tuned anyways.

• 1 month later...

Umm I assume the R34 is similar to the S2 R33? As my AFM is kaput, its practically undrivable atm I need to replace the AFM

If I attach a new z32 and do the soldering will the car be drivable at least?, or that the remap would be a critical factor to make it work.

Ive got a PFC btw.

• 1 month later...
yeah the power fc had to be retuned for the z32, you need to take it to the workshop for that work.

Gained upto 410nm on torque and now 218rwkw on .9 bar

I know it has to be retuned after the AFM is fitted, but I want to know where and what in the Power FC menu to change a settings so that I can install the AFM / injectors / fuel pump before I drive/hobble/limp to teh workshop. Bah! Why hasn't someone translated the R33 PFC manual into English yet!

You will want to tow your ca if your doing a turbo, injectors & afm...

Thats too much to drive on... 555cc injectors will empty your petrol tank on a standard fuel map in under a half and hour.. :)

Not to mention the black cloud you would leave behind you...

Nice guide col :( Wish I had this when I did my swap lol

Anyway, as people have mentioned, there is a setting in the PFC to specify the AFM you're running, I can't remember where it is (Under Setting, then... argh somewhere in there lol) but once you find it, it's quite obvious. I swapped my AFM over at home then drove it to have the tune checked on the dyno. The PFC was very very close to the mark with the different AFM chosen, but did still require a bit of tidying up to get it 100% It didn't surprise me given the stock AFM had a bit of gunk on the wire I was never able to remove, but I was surprised at how close it was :(

hey guys

do u know if i could use a series 1 afm meter in my series 2 engine. like would it work n be the same procedure as mentioned b4 with th z32 afm conversion?

im only asking becasue my series 2 (3pin) AFM is gonnnne and i might be able to use a mates series 1 afm

thanks