SAU Community

Rb20de Performance

Hi there.

Iv done allot of searching and can really find the info i need. Iv got an 89 rb20de GTS that currently has 89kw@wheels with just a 2.25 inch catback exhaust system and a couple ov degres advanced timing running on premium unleaded.

Iv got a stock rb20det turbo and intercooler plus piping sitting here and my plan up untill now has been to tubo my NA and winding the boost back to 5psi with reduced timing to ward ov the pinging.

My question is do you's think it's possible to get around the same performance i.e 115-120rwkw's out of my NA without going to the bolt on turbo i was gunna do.

i would be happy if i could get my NA skyline to run around mid 14's. so around the same sort of performance asa stock gts't maybe a little quicker..

If i was to go the NA option would you's think i could make this sort of power doing the following :-

*Heat Treated or wrapped Extractors.

*good quality cold air inducion

*rb20det injectors

*remapped ecu

and maybe a bit ova port and polish of the head, no cam though. dont want it to be anymore top endy than it already is.i would love some more midrange.

these mods could be done prograssivly reducing the pain on my pocket.

would also use allot less fuel than it would if i just bolted the turbo on.

Reliability for me certainly plays a huge part in this decision for me as it will be my daily driver.

All thoughts appreciated, except for the ones telling me to just sell my car and get a gts't. :worship:

my wife drives a gts't auto btw.

Thanks

i guess if u got the dosh and wanna be out there and do something different then do it!

BADR33 has just done something like that - and it looks pretty cool.

that kinda power *may* be possible - however not with just simple light mods - say bumping up the compression a bit, like you said port and polish, bigger throttle body, and nitrous, better fuel mixture, safc or ecu + retune, tuned lenth extractors, exhaust, OR individual throttle bodies, balanced everything, and rev it to 10k and it'll sound like a dog with its nuts on fire.

to run 14s, maybe diff, massive weight reduction, slicks and a good suspension setup and clutch.

hardly a street car anymore and unless you can justify the costs the gains will not be great... that said if u want to do it, and can do it - go for it, it'll be fully siik ul3h.

cheers

eug

ohh.. you can probably throw reliability out of the window (as with anything u pretty much anything you modify to increase in whatever it is it does, shortens the lifespan) mods are inversly proportional to costs and reliability. LOL

The problem with this is that every little bit of extra power becomes harder and harder to get, and much more expensive if you stay normally aspirated.

Much better to fit a turbo to begin with, unless you have a particular reason not to.

ok thanx for the input guys.

Eug, if i was to do everything you listed there your right, it would cost me a packet..

hmm, helps me make my mind up a bit easier now i guess. all that work just to keep up with a stock gts't..lol

just out of interest anyone else out there has there rb20de's dynoed? modified or stock.

cheers

ok thanx for the input guys.just out of interest anyone else out there has there rb20de's dynoed? modified or stock.

cheers

Hey, just another Kiwi here. In reply to your question, yes I have had my RB20DE dynoed a couple of times. First time was when I got it dyno tuned a bit over a year ago. Managed to get it to pull 120rwkw. I was friggen stoaked. It was run a a Nissan dealer, and they reaconed it was the most powerful 20DE they'ed seen.

I dynoed it again about 6 months ago and got 108rwkw, was a little disapointed, but different dyno, different day, what are ya gonna do. I'll get around to getting it tuned again sometime I think.

It is perfecally feasable to get at least 100rwkw out of one, but I don't think many people bother because everyone wants a turbo.

Visit the web page if you wat a look see... let me know what you think.

http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/jswright/screamin.html

cheers

Hey, just another Kiwi here. In reply to your question, yes I have had my RB20DE dynoed a couple of times. First time was when I got it dyno tuned a bit over a year ago. Managed to get it to pull 120rwkw. I was friggen stoaked. It was run a a Nissan dealer, and they reaconed it was the most powerful 20DE they'ed seen.

I dynoed it again about 6 months ago and got 108rwkw, was a little disapointed, but different dyno, different day, what are ya gonna do. I'll get around to getting it tuned again sometime I think.

It is perfecally feasable to get at least 100rwkw out of one, but I don't think many people bother because everyone wants a turbo.

Visit the web page if you wat a look see... let me know what you think.

http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/jswright/screamin.html

cheers

mate that is one nice GTS. one of the best condition iv seen. Sounds wicked too dude. You said you had the motor recond, did they do anyrthing while they were atit like up the compression or do sumtn to the head or bore size or something cos even if it's making 108rwkw at damn good for an rb20de.So theoretically youd be running low 15's in a gts..coool

thanks for that man,look forward to hearing what else you can tell us about this car.

cheers

Geez, cheers for the feedback guys.

I'm the first to admit the motor is a bit of a freak. It is bog stock internally, never been opened up in all it's 220,000km. Heads are standard and so are the cams. I don't think I said it had been recon'd, it hasn't.

To tell you the truth, the mod list sucks! Oh, and no NOS, that would be fun tho.

The mods:

Filter and cold air induction

Heat wrapped Headers

Standard exhaust diameter with three coby's (bullet mufflers call 'em what you like)

Earthing kit and voltage stabiliser

King springs & KYB shocks front and rear

22mm Adjustable rear sway bar

Strut braces and body brace and a few nolathane bushes here and there

R33 GTS25 front brakes.

Custom high mount stop light in the boot lid

Thats all I think... not many performance mods really.

(gotta line up BADR33 one day! Come up for a visit Geoff!!)

It does run a fair bit of advance on the timing, they wont disclose the figure and it has to run on 98 octane because of this. I've owned it for almost 6 years now, just keep it well serviced and looked after. Seems to have payed off, especially when you can send the odd GTS-t home with his tail between his legs!

Will get around to posting up some pics for you guys on day.

Cheers.

one of the best upgrades you could do if you want to be stay n/a say for insurance reasons etc. is to drop an drop in an rb25 de these can be picked up for around $1000 or less all your bolts ons from the rb20de will fit. my stock rb25de with only a 2.25" exhaust and pod made 105/107 rwkw cant remember exactly. they are a great motor. my first skyline was an rb20de it made aroudn 88 rwkw with simlar mods to the rb25de. th erb25de de option might sound expensive but it will give you the best dollar for dollar returns. the only better one is to turbo your current motor

meggala

Firstly, screamin', sounds like an awesome N/A you got there.

I own a 93 r32 rb20de, stock accept for pod filter, KYB springs all round and various other non performance mods. Will be addingextractors to list very soon. My mate also owns a 93 r32, but its had an r33 rb25de engine dropped into it. Mods on his skyline is the pod filter and what he believes to be a nismo 2 1/4" exhaust. We go driving all the time and are always pushing each other to see who is quicker! When we pull up to lights we always have a bit of fun and have a bit of a drag. I would say 9/10 i will beat him. Even after he has a service, tune, etc. Now either he doesnt push his car very hard, hes not a very good driver, my rb20 has more guts than i think, or there is not too much diff between the 20 and 25?

Will have to get a dyno and see!