SAU Community

Jack Stand Points Needed

QRI05E

ohh there u go, crossmember, thats where i jack it off of. Whoa i was way off on the name.. For $30 at supercheap you can buy yourself some of those wedges u can drive the car up onto, get enough height to swing a trolley under. Bought some yesterday, quite good, wish i had had them before i did the intercooler install

Thanks Duncan... appretiate the advice...

Just waiting for uni holidays and then going to order the FMIC Kit and get stuck into it...

• 3 months later...

Sorry to drag this up again

My mate and I changed the oil in my car this weekend and he has one of those trolly jacks.

When I jacked my car up, I seem to be missing the front crossmember???

Is anyone else missing it?

I just took this snap, sorry its pretty dark, Duncan can you see a crossmember?

Maybe its because its under a plastic shroud because i noticed a plastic cover.

dscf1517vs1.jpg

Also, its not safe to jack the car up on the gearbox is this right?

no to gearbox or sump!

There are 2 main crossmembers and another one under the radiator (which I don't use)

At the back is the gearbox cross member holds the back of the gearbox to the chassis rails....can't see it in your pic but it would only be a little towards the back.

But the main cross member is the black bit right at the front of your pic, you can see the steering arms and rack that go right above it. Also all the suspension arms and engine mounts also bolt to it.

• 4 weeks later...
I've just noticed my r33 dosn't have a scissor jack in the boot. Every other car i've seen does. Do they come with a standard jack and mine has been taxed somewhere down the line ??

where are you looking for it?

Its hidden behind the carpet on the left hand side.. you need to remove the trim

What's the problem following the intructions in the manual as someone posted earlier. Doesn't that tell you where to jack the car up from and where to put the jack stands? How can this not be safe and how can it damage/crush anything? Why would nissan write it in their service manual if it wasn't the right way to do it?

• 15 years later...
On 5/24/2006 at 9:45 PM, Duncan said:

between the two circles is the front cross member/subframe, that is a good place to use. Be careful since the sump is a bad place to use. there is also the tow hooks at the front they are great jacking points.

also be very careful if you are putting the jack under the side of the front subframe, the lower control arm is not safe - it moves relative to the chasis when you jack the car up.

chasis rails are OK to put stands under *if* you use the thicker area towards the front and let the car down slowly. even better if you have to do this use a piece of wood on top of the chasis stand along the rail to spread the weight.

at the rear, like the pic says, use the diff or rear subframe.

the sils are a no no they wil crush for sure unless you are using the nissan scissor jack or a hoist with rubber pads (and sometimes even then)

Is it okay to still use the cross member if it’s got a slight bend/curve. I’m first owner and car was imported from Japan but didn’t see this. A mechanic showed me with the hoist and I was wondering if they’re allowed through compliance with that lol. The bend is inwards with the bend tip facing up towards the rest of the car, it’s very slight.

Edited by SLIXK

On 7/31/2022 at 7:08 PM, Duncan said:

A pic of that might be helpful, if the cross member is bent the car has had some sort of hit along the way and wheel  alignment might be an issue

I’ll get pic tommorow! When you say might be an issue, do you mean I may need an alignment or will alignments be hard to do.