SAU Community

Need Insurance? Want Cheaper Insurance?

• Replies 904
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

so the person who starts this thread, and reassures everyone who expresses feelings of suspicion toward Famous, comes out and says this...

Originally posted by two40

take the policy, you won't get a better offer.

i'd love to hear from someone who's made a claim with them though. anyone???

this is the question I've been asking since last year... and to no avail (except for one reference earlier in this thread)

sorry guys, I'm not convinced myself :)

not at all... :) However I do have trouble grasping the fact that everyone is insuring their pride and joy with a company that has premiums bordering on the "too good to be true" side of things, yet nobody actually has much evidence of how good Famous are when it comes to the crunch...

I'm as desparate for cheap insurance premiums as the next guy - just putting in my 2c worth and watching this space! :)

well, i do know that they paid out two policies which were under cover note. the story goes these two guys, unrelated, one supra and one skyline took out a cover note each and both wrote their cars off on that day. famous paid out around $50,000 for them. believe it or not, it's up to you.

blitz (Nick) from sydney has made a windscreen claim and famous have a preffered company that deals with these claims but were closed on the day. he proceeded to fix his windscreen with another company and when he approached famous they said that's fine, just had to fax them a copy of the invoice and they took care of it. that's about the closest to a claim i know of for sure.

i'm not here to try to convince anyone to go with famous or whoever, i just found a very cheap policy for myself and thought i'd pass on the info so that others can benifit from it. i was sceptical at first too btw. it's good to be careful and read their terms and conditions. it might not be the ideal policy for some, but for others it's all they need.

Cheers

Guest 382 GZV - 4 Door R33

Do QLD'ers get a discount??

It's great to hear someone is insuring at a less than crazy price - will give them a call tomoz and hopefully won't have to put up with Just Cars too much longer.

- Bought my R33 standard and called up that day to get insurance: when I asked how much to expect if I modified it the guy on the other said, "Why would you want modify it if it's standard". - What sort of question is that?

Just cars is tight and should be boquetted

hey guys, im new to this and im a new member. I just bought a modified skyline (560rwhp) r33, called just cars for insurancew, tried to insure it for 35k they said they will insure it for 20 as thats what market vALue is + im 19 but i have had insurance for the past 2 yrs, they wanted 4gz from me... i know one place not to go to....... i will try this famous and post how it goes

Originally posted by rs73

Well, in that case I'll stick with Just Cars, as I need my car to be fully insured even when I park it on the street 2AM in the morning in an industrial area somewhere 100km away from home.

but then it gets stolen, you pay them a few gees for the excess and they pay back only market value. so after you add up the cost of the premium and excess then subtract the market value of the car, you come out with no car and only a few thou in your hand. doesnt sound like a very good deal to me!

Originally posted by aybee

but then it gets stolen, you pay them a few gees for the excess and they pay back only market value. so after you add up the cost of the premium and excess then subtract the market value of the car, you come out with no car and only a few thou in your hand. doesnt sound like a very good deal to me!

Yeah but what you describe is the general experience of insurance as a whole.

Market value is only useful for stockish common cars.

ie. my VX Executive may be worth $20,000 and every year it looses $1,000 for example.

So I may expect to get myself in a like example if it gets pinch.

But our cars are largely unique. If I got back $25,000 (which is what many 33's are nominally valued at) I doubt I can get everything back to where I was...

T.

Called them yesterday after being informed that the existing policy I have with JLT was going to be cancelled in a week (big story there).

I'm over 30.

Heavily modified R33 GTS-T Series 2 (97)...

$1800 on a %60 NCB and $2400 on a %40 NCB. $1000 excess.

My recent bingle will put me on %40 unfortunately.

I didn't mention the 10% discount for Skylines Australia members to her.

Just Cars quoted $2800 and $4000 excess last year.

Sounds like the go me thinks. Only concern was the 8000km/yr limit someone mentioned...I do 25k/yr. Must ask about that when I call them again.

I've been with Famous right from the beginning. I believe it was me that was mainly spreading the word about them.

I pay $2400/year and although I got a great deal from them to begin with, I am currently looking for something cheaper.

I spoke to them after taking out my policy coz I drive my car once a week, If I'm lucky, I don't do many K's. And have 40% NC PROOF now, I couldnt find proof when i took out my policy.

They told me to sod off until the next renewal year for making these changes to my policy. I am now looking elsewhere.

-Kym

OK, here's my situation

26, no accidents, no claims, rating 1 for 3 years, 4 speeding fines 3 years ago.... live in Melbourne

Mods: cooler, full xorst, boost controller

Paid $1500 last year with just cars, this year they bumped it up to $1700.... FAAARK THAT!

Excess:

$450 standard excess

+$600 import excess

+$700 if stolen

So $1050 if i make a claim, and $1750 if it gets stolen! EAD!!!!!

Called Famous, and they quoted me $1800. I told them that JC quoted me $1600 (hehe), and they said "around" $1500 ?!?!?!?! WTF is around? Then I said I was part of SAU, and they finally decided on $1480. I'm sorry, but you dont pull numbers out of your magic jocks, and change it accordingly! Imagine how many people would get ripped if everyone used that system (not just insurance). I was not happy with their lack of professionalism!

Excess:

$1000 for a claim

$2000 if stolen...... EAD!!!!

After reading russcb007's post, I called Torque. Straight down the line, quoted me $1141. I was happy with the way they spoke to me too. Didnt try to feed me no BS, just straight down the line!

No stupid clauses either..... PLUS they replace your windscreen without making a claim... and it is not just once a year, it is unlimited!!!

Excess:

$450 standard... THATS IT!!!!!

Also called unique, they quoted me $1466, which would have been my choice if not for Torque.

Doesnt take a genius to figure out who I will take out a policy with!!!

Zahos

Originally posted by redline2003

does torque or unique hav websites??

I dunno if they have websites.... I think Torque doesn't... :)

Just give em a call, and see what they say.... If you are looking for info on them, search in google...

This is all I cam up with:

http://www.land-rover.team.net/pipe...ber/000186.html

http://forums.skylinesdownunder.co....pic/9734-1.html

but then again, I only spent 2 mins searching....

Famous are bloody expensive!!!

they want to charge my dad $2700 a year for full compriensive

its an R33 GT-R v-spec, garage, 3 point imobiliser

he's on a rating 1 with no offences in 8 years at the age of 44

this quote is just bullshit.

I rang them and asked on a price for a N/A mr2 1993 model and they wanted $3,700 !!!

last time im going to ring them!

2700 isn't to bad for a R33 GTR Vspec I would think.

What are the other quotes?

I have been through famous for a good 6 months now and I pay $1088 with mods listed. Just cars with mods listed was close to $1300. AND.. Famous can do Monthly payments which I do as I am at UNI and makes life a lot easier.

They didn't charge any more for a FMIC as it doesn't enhance performance :P Which it doesn't..... Only if you put high boost through it which is illegal and insurance wouldn't cover you anyway.

Besides the point a mate of mine who is 42 rating 1 hasn't ever had an accident owns a VT 5.7ltr SS commodore. He is paying $898... For a commodore.

I honestly don't think age plays a big factor in price as soon as you are over the 21 hurdle. The only benifit you get is less excess.