SAU Community

In Car Computer :d

parish

I'd be really interested if you could help me find that software.

I can't remember the program, but it is possible to shrink windows xp.

There is also a smaller version of xp too. I haven't been on mp3 car for a while. uni work is keeping me busy.

Sighs... my exams finish on the 22nd. i'll have 4 weeks to do the project.

the program is called nLite, link - http://www.nliteos.com/index.html

recently i have been reading through mp3cars.com also, and have found alot of stuff, but not links to the actual programs.

if you want a run through of how to use nLite just ask, i got a link for one

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

while there is so many people in here, i will ask if this set up should work properly. at the moment, my school is selling off their old computers, because they just updated them.

now for $200, i can get one

its a p3, 800mhz, 256MB Rom, and 40Gb hd, cd drive to. also everything else that comes with a desktop.

do you think that it is a good buy? and then upgrade the parts a bit?

my carputer would mainly be used for music, videos, and maybe gps. i would then make it wireless, so than it is easier to transfer files. this would also make me use the internet.

Edited by hydie

Super expensive compared the HDD tho... Its still $30 per GB!

I don't really see it as being a problem. I've 'borrowed' a few 1 gig sticks from work... ahem.

I understand that they're slower than a hd, but USB 2 isn't too bad though.

e.g. it's possible to fit windows on 1 1 gig stick. then have the other one for instaling software.

Considering a lot of skyline owners have hard suspension (even normal suspensions will probably kill a hd), this might be a feasible option.

BTW, sorry about whoring your thread, great job btw. Hopefully i'll be able to do something similar too.

the motherboard and everything is too big. If you get onto mp3car, they have this little pc, which is smaller than the size of a headunit, so you can stick it into the centre console.

e.g. even using perspects, you won't be able to build one as small as on the first page. that's not a normal motherboard.

oh ok then, i get you now. do you think it would be better just to buy a pc that is already built, then jsut install everything on to it? i was thinking about this, but it will prob work out alot dearer

I don't really see it as being a problem. I've 'borrowed' a few 1 gig sticks from work... ahem.

I understand that they're slower than a hd, but USB 2 isn't too bad though.

e.g. it's possible to fit windows on 1 1 gig stick. then have the other one for instaling software.

Considering a lot of skyline owners have hard suspension (even normal suspensions will probably kill a hd), this might be a feasible option.

BTW, sorry about whoring your thread, great job btw. Hopefully i'll be able to do something similar too.

The only problem is having to spread you 10-20gb MP3 collection over 10-20 USB sticks - God knows how you would do that too, you would need powered usb hubs etc etc. It defeats the purpose of a decent carputer - having less than 20gb storage! You're better off buying an ipod and an auxilary cable for your HU :whistling:

I agree though with booting from a USB stick, and then having a USB HDD as your MP3 storage. At least that way its just a matter of copying the mp3's onto a new hdd when the disk crashes. You guys are all overestimating the fragility of the HDD's though. They WILL work for a long time before dying. Mine has been in for months, plus the laptop is 3 years old, and it's still going strong!! The laptop is sitting on the floor of my car too! I've got rock hard apexi coilovers too!

HP have a piece of software... dunno what its called and I can't attach with the post (EXE file), i'm sure google will tell you where to find it... thats the software that my friend is using, from what I understand it formats the USB key to act like a bootable disk, then you can pretty much install windows onto the disk from a cd... dont have the exact process... but again, I'm sure :rofl: can help :)

Go the usb external harddrive option and boot from a usb pen drive.

Get the operating system onto your 1-2gb usb pen drive, then buy these

http://www.scorptec.com.au/product/12349

+

http://www.scorptec.com.au/product/17313

then you put the external big (depending on how much you spend) hdd in an easy to get to place like the glove box. Pack it nicely with foam or somthing nice looking. This way you can remove it easily take it inside and add/delete whatever is on it.

Its a laptop hdd so its small and its also designed to survive shocks.

Should be fine even with that "orgasmic" suspension someone has

:rofl:

Go the usb external harddrive option and boot from a usb pen drive.

Get the operating system onto your 1-2gb usb pen drive, then buy these

http://www.scorptec.com.au/product/12349

+

http://www.scorptec.com.au/product/17313

then you put the external big (depending on how much you spend) hdd in an easy to get to place like the glove box. Pack it nicely with foam or somthing nice looking. This way you can remove it easily take it inside and add/delete whatever is on it.

Its a laptop hdd so its small and its also designed to survive shocks.

Should be fine even with that "orgasmic" suspension someone has

:)

Yep, thats exactly how i'd do it (in hindsight! :rofl:).

I'll definitely be doing this when my hard drive eventually goes.

just on ebay looking at harddrive now,

wats the difference between the IDE, SATA, and SCSI?

edit: dw have figured it out, defines internal, external etc etc? wat one would i need?

Edited by hydie