SAU Community

Mysterious Pfc Missfire In An R32 Gtr

Yeah my 32 GTR with PFC does this also ! It has version 8.04A. Seems same as others- could happen a few times a day, hot or cold, mostly light throttle. I was told was prob a AFM problem but when i run it with the stock nissan ECU the problem stops so that rules that out.

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If this info help, my FC Djettro with map sensors does it too.

It does it once in a couple of hundred-thousand km at very light load, it is unpredictable and is certainly not reproducible. All monitoring parameters are all safe. Go figure! I guess the GTR god want to be driven fast all the time :D

have added this issue as a work in progress to the FAQ

also it should be noted PFC's with NEC Processor 78P3 CPU are NOT reflashable

78p3.jpg

only newer, ie: pre 2000ish are reflashable, they have a 78F4 processor and an onboard connector for reflashing

78f4.jpg

dont recall this ever happening to mine. 32 GTR, PFC, 8.04a.

interesting - so what other mods do you have ?

I'm still fishing for some commonality some where !!

Also interesting to hear that even the D-Jetro PFC has this problem

my software is 8.04a and R32 GTR

I think I see a pattern forming here >_<

OK

1: how do I check if my PFC can be upgraded (remove and inspect ?)

2: what is the current (newest) version of the software (should I be down revving ?)

3: where in Sunny Brisvegas would I go to get it done

1. if you pop the cover off youll see the NEC 78P3 processor, it will be part of the model number, it will be the biggest chip on the board. take a pic for recon purposes and post up or send to us please >_<

if its the 78P3 it cant be reflashed, as its a burn once chip

2. newest version not sure, i guess anyone with a recent Rb26 PFC, purchased in the last few months is likely to have the latest code on it

3. i know geniunine apexi dealers can fix/warranty and possibly flash/upgrade your PFC to a newer version but i believe this is only on $1500 PFC's purchased from like MYC or an aus dealer

ask myc.com.au how much to get a new PFC code installed on it (if they'll let you that is). you may find it cheaper and easier to buy a new PFC from nengun. but that guarantee's nothing at all.

the key to this i guess would be to find someone who has an RB26 32/33 ECU that doesn't have this problem, then look at what version they have. then ask nicely if you can swap FC's with them for a week and see if the bug follow's the FC with the bad version. if so then you'll know what the good version FC to go for is. sell your known bad version on ebay and look for a specific version FC

Ill pull the lid off mine tommorow and report what chip it is. Mine was in the car when i bought it, but they buy payed 1500 for just the power fc from PVP imports in SA, so i assume it could be a legit "aussie delivered" one maby.

Well - I got mine from Nengun (paid $950 for it)

So I KNOW mine will not be covered in Aus

I'd be happy to pay for the upgrade if

• I knew it fixed the problem
  • it was not too expensive
  • did not require a full retune (dyno)

Seems I chimed in late on this one, but I have had the same issue on 3 PFC's...

One was in a 33 GTST & I have had a standard PFC & DJetro in my 32 GTR & they all did it.

Having said that it is so infrequent that I'm really not bothered about it.

I've been through 3 (well 4 if you count the Mines modded) ECUs on my R.

First version was a "3.08" version that had the intermittent miss at cruise loads.

Second was a Wolf 4 (MAP sensors) that had NO miss.

Third is the D-Jetro PFC and the "cruise miss" returned. Now the strange thing is that I recently (before buggering off overseas again) installed an HKS "Twin Power" CDI unit and the miss is gone for good!

I covered a good 1,000 kms with it installed and it's definately not a "placebo effect"

My gut feeling is that the miss is ignition related.

Edited by Gav

I've been through 3 (well 4 if you count the Mines modded) ECUs on my R.

First version was a "3.08" version that had the intermittent miss at cruise loads.

Second was a Wolf 4 (MAP sensors) that had NO miss.

Third is the D-Jetro PFC and the "cruise miss" returned. Now the strange thing is that I recently (before buggering off overseas again) installed an HKS "Twin Power" CDI unit and the miss is gone for good!

I covered a good 1,000 kms with it installed and it's definately not a "placebo effect"

My gut feeling is that the miss is ignition related.

I agree - it just feels like that sort of miss

what's included in the CDI kit ?