SAU Community

Twin Plate Clutch Noises - Who Knows Them Well?

I know twin plate clutches are normally noisey but im not sure whats 'normal' and whats not. Hoping someone can help who knows from experience.

The Noises:

-"Ringing" noise with clutch pedal in (99% sure this is normal)

-Sometimes when im taking off and let the clutch bite (slowly) there is a very loud grinding noise (no idea if this is normal)

This doesnt happen all the time and i originally thought this was my input shaft bearing which i knew was bad. Recently got a reconditioned box installed but told the mechanic to leave the clutch in if it looked fine (which he said it did). The first two days there were no grinding noises but today it started making the grinding noise again and im hoping that it is just a 'normal' noise of the two clutch plates grinding on contact (if i let the pedal out slow).

if its not normal - is it more likely a clutch thing or a gearbox bearing thing? (i know a RB20det box with twin plate buttom clutches dont go well together but this box has new bearings and has only been in for 150km so i hope to God it hasnt started screwing the box already).

I used to have a twin plate in my car.

When you put the clutch in, there's this rattling noise from the plates rattling together.

I never got that other grinding noise. Is that other noise the gearbox shaking or something? or is it from stationary?

yeh its from stationary to 1st

put it in first - slowly release clutch, *grind* for a second, then perfect - no noise.

happened with both gearboxes but only 50% of the time. same clutch.

u shouldnt slowly release the clutch :P Twin plates need a bit of revs, and release it.

Its not a street car clutch u can ride...Drive it like its supposed to be and u wont have the grind. the ringing with the clutch in is normal though.