SAU Community

Ticking Noise Behind Dash In R32gts4 Above 100km/h

Hey guys my R32 has developed a little annoying problem, i am aware that the speedo is connected via a metal wire from behind the surround and there seems to be a clicking at least every second when i'm going down the freeway, usually doing over 110km/h it will just keep ticking. Has anyone else had this problem or knows how to fix it without ripping my whole dash apart? Also had a search couldn't find any perviously related topics. Any help would be appreciated :(

Cheers,

Rhys

Bump. Still no glory guys, really no looking forward to ripping my dash apart after i just fixed my steering column and boss kit dramas. Any new info let us know, take it easy guys.

Cheers

its actually part of a what is now defunct speed warning chime. they dont seem to last..

do a search for it and u'll find some info on it.

mine does the same, its dying, sounds like a cat being hit with baseball bat...(not really) but u get the idea... search function is your friend!

• 2 weeks later...

I found this info on another site. I haven't tried it yet.

http://www.skyline-nissan.net/home/p2_articleid/21/s//amp;

- Remove the plastic panels under the driver's side dashboard.

- Drop the steering column (using the height / reach adjustment)

- Remove the instrument cluster. The small aluminium box on a bracket behind the

cluster is the noisemaker. Be very careful with the speedo cable – there is a plastic

sleeve than is prone to splitting where the cable enters the back of the speedometer. It

can be fixed with some heat shrink tubing or at a pinch some PVC tape.

- Disconnect the spade terminal, and remove the dingdong box. Peace at last.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

• 4 months later...

aha, just discovered this thread having been working on my r32 gtr.

since i bought her i've had this ticking noise behind or in the dash cluster. it sounds like, to me, a box full of cockroaches running around inside. the noise happens regardless of the speed at which i'm travelling.

having taken my dash apart, i am 90% sure it's the speedometer cable making the clicking noise because i can localise the sound to the cable when the dash is off. it's the only thing clicking. i do not think it is a speed limiter.

speedocable.jpg

anyone else have this?

Edited by sigsputnik

I found this info on another site. I haven't tried it yet.

http://www.skyline-nissan.net/home/p2_articleid/21/s//amp;

- Remove the plastic panels under the driver's side dashboard.

- Drop the steering column (using the height / reach adjustment)

- Remove the instrument cluster. The small aluminium box on a bracket behind the

cluster is the noisemaker. Be very careful with the speedo cable – there is a plastic

sleeve than is prone to splitting where the cable enters the back of the speedometer. It

can be fixed with some heat shrink tubing or at a pinch some PVC tape.

- Disconnect the spade terminal, and remove the dingdong box. Peace at last.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

That will fix the ticking noise as it is the over 100kph speed chime thing....

in my case the ticking noise occurs regardless of the speed at which i'm going - usually much less than 100 kph...any ideas?

i would reckon that it is still the stupid little silver canister that is to blame.....

just rip out the dash and remove the little f*kker and that should fix it...

otherwise it will most probably be the speedo cable.

good luck :rofl:

• 14 years later...
On 18/11/2006 at 10:45 AM, sigsputnik said:

aha, just discovered this thread having been working on my r32 gtr.

since i bought her i've had this ticking noise behind or in the dash cluster. it sounds like, to me, a box full of cockroaches running around inside. the noise happens regardless of the speed at which i'm travelling.

having taken my dash apart, i am 90% sure it's the speedometer cable making the clicking noise because i can localise the sound to the cable when the dash is off. it's the only thing clicking. i do not think it is a speed limiter.

http://users.tpg.com.au/adslv24i/speedocable.jpg

anyone else have this?

trying to revive an old thread here.. I have a sound that comes intermittently from my r32 gtst dash (in winter only..) at driving speeds only. Makes a nightmare to try diagnose and it can only be described as a box full of cockroaches running around exactly as Sigsputnik has said. My overspeed chime seems to be working fine. Did you find out in the end what the problem was?