SAU Community

Braided Clutch Line Verses Standard

Hi ppls.

I've just ordered a Braided Clutch line from Greedy, but I have a question.

In the pics below, you can see the standard piping is quite long and convoluted.

Is there some obscure reason for this?

I'm getting the braided because I'm fitting a heeavy clutch and new shifter this week so I figured I'd may as well do the clutch line as well.

I'm sure that it is a good thing.

I'm just curious as to the extreme length of the standard lines.....

post-6399-1150786562.jpg

post-6399-1150786569.jpg

Hi ppls.

I've just ordered a Braided Clutch line from Greedy, but I have a question.

In the pics below, you can see the standard piping is quite long and convoluted.

Is there some obscure reason for this?

I'm getting the braided because I'm fitting a heeavy clutch and new shifter this week so I figured I'd may as well do the clutch line as well.

I'm sure that it is a good thing.

I'm just curious as to the extreme length of the standard lines.....

The pipework loop is there to cool the clutch fluid. Obviously Nissan believed that under extreme circumstances the clutch fluid can overhead/boil and leave you with no hydraulic pressure.

:P cheers :(

Edited by Sydneykid

So SK.

Have you ever had clutch fluid boil and leave you with no pressure?

Nope, but we always run the standard loopy lines, so maybe they work :(

I have purchase a braided line for my own R32GTST but I haven't fitted it yet.

So maybe I will have a problem then. :P

:( cheers :(

Bass Junky,

How much did you pay for the braided line and where from? I've been thinking about getting 1 from Ebay for $100 delivered when I fit a new master/slave cylinder as it's the only place I could find 1 off the shelf.

I just replaced the short section between the bracket and slave cyl with a maltech item.

there should be no expansion or deterioration in the metal tube section anyway..?

benm - they're like $70 or something like that from maltech and can make it to suit the car

I just replaced the short section between the bracket and slave cyl with a maltech item.

there should be no expansion or deterioration in the metal tube section anyway..?

benm - they're like $70 or something like that from maltech and can make it to suit the car

That really sounds like a better option to me, just to replace the rubber and not the metal.

Music to my ears, thanks for that ronin

even better - just checked the invoice and was $62 inc GST (however was 2 years ago)

Nice work, did you notice any difference when you fitted it???

I am going to get some maltech braided brake lines, think ill add a clutch line as well :thumbsup:

cheers mate

I simply had the line entering the little box do a 180degree bend and connect to the rubber hose connector, this bypassed the little box and loopy line.

Made it so much easier to bleed.

Clutch feel, it appears instantly the clutch is much easier to regulate, its as if the pedal has a higher resolution when feeling that oh so fine ceramic puk take up point.

Basically.. Made it nicer to drive, in 40degree peak hour traffic the clutch was fine, but I don't do track work so I can't tell if there's a problem with clutch fluid boiling.

clutch boiling hmmm.....i noticed on the nismo clutch lines theyre wrapped in what looks like a foil heat wrap. wether thats to keep heat out or in im not sure.

ive got the maltech item in my 33 and the clutch feel is much more responsive and slightly heavier than standard which is good which makes for better driving.

I just got an email quite back from Steve at Maltech.

$90 inc postage for the R32 GTR braided clutch line.

$430 inc postage for the R32 GTR front+rear braided brake lines.

$470 inc postage for both together.

Think I might order myself a clutch line, thanks for the info Pete.

I just got an email quite back from Steve at Maltech.

$90 inc postage for the R32 GTR braided clutch line.

$430 inc postage for the R32 GTR front+rear braided brake lines.

$470 inc postage for both together.

Think I might order myself a clutch line, thanks for the info Pete.

Does maltech do a braided line that just replaces the rubber section, i think this is a better option that replacing the whole thing.

Benm, the clutch line you ordered, does it just replace the rubber or the whole lot.

Thanks mate :P

The maltech braided replaces the whole metal pipey thing.

Gives a nice feel.. no problems so far.

Ronin 09 mentions above that he just replaced the rubber hose part of it with a braided maltech item. I would prefer that and am keen to know if they are available etc.

You can buy a Nismo part which has the heat sheilding and stuff on it, it's only a couple of inches long.

Costs about $70+ delivered from Greenline, but Japan is out of stock until end of month.

Maybe you could give dimensions and fitting sizes to Maltech and they could make up a custom one.

I wouldn't think there would be a great difference in price, as most of the money is in the fittings and the labour to put it all together.

When I get mine, I might wrap any part that would be exposed to heat in some ally heat stuff.