SAU Community

Braided Clutch Line Verses Standard

Ronin 09 mentions above that he just replaced the rubber hose part of it with a braided maltech item. I would prefer that and am keen to know if they are available etc.

Seriously dude just go get a custom one, it wont cost much and you know its going to fit.

I don't think the problem would be heat transfer, but rather heat buildup in a shorter hose. It's definitely not a problem in street use. At worse in track use you lose clutch pressure and you go work out how to shield it later. It's not like brakes which could send you into the sidewall.

Ronin 09 mentions above that he just replaced the rubber hose part of it with a braided maltech item. I would prefer that and am keen to know if they are available etc.

Below is how the standard maltech one is (unless they make a custom). This is how it is hooked up on my car, and I assume everybody else.. staight from clutch cylinder to slave cylinder. It works 100% fine. Why wouldn't you want to piss the extra piping off? You'd take away half the benefit of the shorter line I would have thought? The longer a fluid line the longer it takes to build up pressure, and hence a doughier pedal.

post-6399-1150786569.jpg

I don't think the problem would be heat transfer, but rather heat buildup in a shorter hose. It's definitely not a problem in street use. At worse in track use you lose clutch pressure and you go work out how to shield it later. It's not like brakes which could send you into the sidewall.

Below is how the standard maltech one is (unless they make a custom). This is how it is hooked up on my car, and I assume everybody else.. staight from clutch cylinder to slave cylinder. It works 100% fine. Why wouldn't you want to piss the extra piping off? You'd take away half the benefit of the shorter line I would have thought? The longer a fluid line the longer it takes to build up pressure, and hence a doughier pedal.

post-6399-1150786569.jpg

Juts like brake lines, removing the steel pipework makes no difference as it doesn't expand under pressure. Only replacing the rubber hose makes a difference.

:P cheers :D

Yep.

Hydraulics isn't effected (for the most part) by the volume of oil in the system.

The oil doesn't compress like air does.

You could lengthen the hose by a few meters and not feel any difference.

The rubber section is the bit that makes the difference.

:P

nismo braided clutch lines are in stock in japan can get them through my friend for about $80-$85 delivered (just depends on the days exchange rate). if you need one benm i'll grab one for you next time i'm getting some bits.

The oil doesn't compress like air does.

This is true, however, isn't it the pressure in the clutch cylinder, built by the pedal action, which is pressing the fluid down the tube? And pushing a larger amount of fluid down a longer tube would require more pressure than pushing a smaller amount of fluid down a shorter tube? Just like a more powerful pump is required to pump fluid over a larger distance, compared to a shorter one?

Maybe the difference is negligible in this situation, but that is the way I would have thought it worked?? I'm just thinking blowing into a short straw, as opposed to blowing into a long one, and the effort required for bubbles (air pressure) to appear at the end. Somebody point me to some fluid dynamics site >_< I'm not saying I'm right, I just want to know why not..

• 13 years later...