SAU Community

Coilovers?

Tough R34

hi

i got a canary on friday and they took digi photos of my BOV, AVCR and the Boost kit for the avcr in the engine bay!!! :D

i hope this isnt too bad, ive been told i might get a letter from the EPA soon. :laugh:

anyway i have coilovers and i have to raise the car 25mm, i was wondering if they are illegal?

i have Hks Hyper D's and im hoping i dont have to change them???

Any help with the situation??????

cheers

steve

From my experience coil over type suspension will pass road worthy standards in victoria. It must exceed the original spec suspension in load bearing and all clearances must be kept in line with Vic Roads Modification guide and roadworthiness standards.

More information here

http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/vrpdf/rdsafe/VSI%208.pdf

http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/vrpdf/rdsafe/VSI%2026.pdf

From my experience coil over type suspension will pass road worthy standards in victoria. It must exceed the original spec suspension in load bearing and all clearances must be kept in line with Vic Roads Modification guide and roadworthiness standards.

More information here

http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/vrpdf/rdsafe/VSI%208.pdf

http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/vrpdf/rdsafe/VSI%2026.pdf

Thanks for this - was just cruisin the forum and came across the info.

Who knew that Governments put out good guideline documents :(

Thanks PJ. Great help!!!

im gona print this out & leave it in the car so as long as im right i can stick it up the cops ass!!!!

cheers

steve

Not until you get an "approval certificate". The polive have every right to defect you until then.

I'll assume "approval cert" is another word for an Engineers Report which can attained from any Engineer thats approved.

Suspension Modifications are NOT legal until approved

Not until you get an "approval certificate". The polive have every right to defect you until then.

I'll assume "approval cert" is another word for an Engineers Report which can attained from any Engineer thats approved.

Suspension Modifications are NOT legal until approved

Sort of right.

If you modify the mounting points of your suspension - ie - structural modification you require an engineers report that must deatil the how the modification has been done and how it meets or exceeds the manufacturers specs. The modification must also be safe and in accordance with ADR's and state/ territory roadworthniess standards.

If you use aftermarket suspension items that mount to the factory points - such as lowered springs, shortened struts, coliovers etc these only need to meet roadworthiness standards such as bump stop clearance, vehicle ground clearance and so on.

Each aftermarket suspension item to be sold in Australia must meet ADR approval for its design and structure in it's own right. That is why you do not require an engineers certificate for lowering a vehicle or using coilovers.

However, this will not stop Police from defecting you because they do not know the rules of what you can and cant have. To issue a defect notice in Victoria they (police) only have to have a suspicion that the vehicle is not modified in accordance with guidelines or is not to road worthy standards. It is then up to the owner to have the defect cleared.

In my experience both professional and personal I have not problem with passing raod worthy tests in victoria with Coil over type suspension.

I would very much doubt people are purchasing coil-overs on Aust shores.

The odd few, yeah. The majority however are not

1) Price

2) Car probably comes with them from Japan

My car was unable to pass engineers long ago because the suspension was TOO hard.

The engineer wasnt satified as part of compliance that there was enough travel.

And rightly so in my view. You couldnt move it they were that hard so a softer set was used and passed without issue

Obviously there is more to it regarding suspension travel among other things... but im no engineer

And i totally agree about defecting. Its based on suspicion, not fact.

I've long had that gripe, and it will forever be that way i think

I had a cop mention this to me ages ago about coilovers... asked him to explain why or quote the VSR that refers to coilovers being illegal and he had no response hehe

I am from Perth. Do you guys get knocked back for "Springs to hard"? we have been getting it a bit over here lately however there is nothing in writing as to what is too hard, or too soft. so what do you do?

Seriously, if they say coil overs are illgeal, is it time we perhaps explain the difference between cars with strut and wishbone suspension? Skylines have coil overs as standard. Im not one to chat back, but if they are confused by this, then perhaps they are confused about the law they are trying to intepret/administer

I think that the assumption that is being made by the police is that coilovers = adjustable (since most of them are) Iirc, you can replace suspension components as long as they are not adjustable. Where this leaves things like "gas rider" height adjustable units I'm not sure.

hi

i got a canary on friday and they took digi photos of my BOV, AVCR and the Boost kit for the avcr in the engine bay!!! :D

i hope this isnt too bad, ive been told i might get a letter from the EPA soon. :)

anyway i have coilovers and i have to raise the car 25mm, i was wondering if they are illegal?

i have Hks Hyper D's and im hoping i dont have to change them???

Any help with the situation??????

cheers

steve

Hey Steve,

You just worried about the coil-overs.

Wait until they tell you all the other items have to go .

I'm with Roy. Coilover means the coil is over the shock and thus this is standard for a Skyline. Adjustable heights don't make them a coilover.

Just because they are adjustable doesn't mean you have actually broken the law. If you set them too low then 1. wear the fine, and 2. your car WILL handle like crap.

As lomg as the item meets travel and quality of manufacture requirements it is legal, else the entire non-genuine spare parts business is illegal.

Sort of right.

If you modify the mounting points of your suspension - ie - structural modification you require an engineers report that must deatil the how the modification has been done and how it meets or exceeds the manufacturers specs. The modification must also be safe and in accordance with ADR's and state/ territory roadworthniess standards.

If you use aftermarket suspension items that mount to the factory points - such as lowered springs, shortened struts, coliovers etc these only need to meet roadworthiness standards such as bump stop clearance, vehicle ground clearance and so on.

Each aftermarket suspension item to be sold in Australia must meet ADR approval for its design and structure in it's own right. That is why you do not require an engineers certificate for lowering a vehicle or using coilovers.

However, this will not stop Police from defecting you because they do not know the rules of what you can and cant have. To issue a defect notice in Victoria they (police) only have to have a suspicion that the vehicle is not modified in accordance with guidelines or is not to road worthy standards. It is then up to the owner to have the defect cleared.

In my experience both professional and personal I have not problem with passing raod worthy tests in victoria with Coil over type suspension.

This post is 100% right

That is all

P.S. why are u even worried about this, cops only eva check for ride height.

• 3 weeks later...

I Dont know much about it really but wouldnt this be part of the Compliance process and ADR with cars that come with it from Japan... Mine came with Hks coilover Adjustables from Japan and has since passed Complience and 2 roadworthies issueless, one in mebourne and one in country Victoria...