SAU Community

Polishes/wax

u guys do relise that wax is bad to use on ur car, if u ever need a respray or are plannin on getting one, wen u rub it bac an try an paint over it the paint doesnt like sticking, trust me my dads a panelbeater an it happend to my vl.

Mate, that's why they make wax & grease remover. You can buy it by the litres. If you don't do this on basically any car before spraying it will fry up and you'll have to start again.

there for no wax for me.

If you run without wax, you'll be needing that respray earlier than those who do use wax. :miner:

hey pals, abit off topic but what orbital buffers do you use?

i was thinking about just buying a shitty gmc orbital buffer and some good quality microfirbre buffing cloths.

will this do or should i save and buy a better quality buffer?

cheers

If you want to put swirls in your paint sure..

But i use a Festool at work, its around $800

So after you clay, what do you puy on next Nate?

(writing my shopping list..lol)

wash car to remove heavy dirt ect.. because if you clay over it, youll scratch the shit outta your car

clay car going with the panel and use soapy water as a lube

wash car again

wax, depending on condition of paint, can use somthing that has fillers in it to hide imperfections like scratches/swirls.

done.

u guys do relise that wax is bad to use on ur car, if u ever need a respray or are plannin on getting one, wen u rub it bac an try an paint over it the paint doesnt like sticking, trust me my dads a panelbeater an it happend to my vl.

there for no wax for me.

You are an idiot, i will not even try and explain whats wrong with what you just said.

Bought some mequires quik clay today.

Works fantastically, paint feels like new.

It looks almost as good now with only a wash + clay than what it did straight after being polished and waxed.

ok so whats the process?

wash the car, clay the car, wax the car ?

Q. Buff with what exactly - any polish cloth? micorfibre cloth...small circle motions? one panel at a time or the whole car and then buff it??

I know everyone's got their own ways of detailing their cars.. but mine on this occasion was .

1. wash the car

2. spray wax and grease remover to take off existing wax.. remove with a damp terry cloth.

3. wash again to remove the rest of the wax remover.

4. use quick detailer spray and clay the car.

5. wash the car.

6. cut if necessary (i used t-cut).

7. wax the car.

second answer to the question... use a lint free polishing cloth. and i go in a back forth motion rather than in circles, try to go with the grain of the spray. always keep your cloth clean, as soon as it builds up grime swap to a clean section. i used about four-five cloths both sides to do the whole car this time around.

Edited by Howie

degreaser on paint?

I'm not feeling confident with that recommendation...???

I have a very thin paint job, its a re-spray, with terrible swirls on the bonnet...

Is there are filler type wax/polish for black paint after I've clayed and washed?

fark me dead.... i haven't read all this thread... i quickly skimmed over the posts and was dumbfounded with all the mis-information and people who generally have no idea....

there are some good detailing forums around, i suggest some of you guys have a read of them!

www.autopia.org is a good one to start off with!

i'll be going out and buying a some new products etc in the next couple of days, and will detail my car, then post pics for you guys....

in the meantime, here is a pic of my brothers car that i did (by hand)

1986 model with factory paint...

36.jpg

39.jpg

to get it to that stage, i used (in this order):

Meguiars NXT Tech Wash

Mothers Quik Clay

Meguiars Mirror Glaze Fine Cut Cleaner #2

Meguiars Mirror Glaze Swirl Remover 2.0 #9

Meguiars Mirror Glaze Showcar Glaze #7

Meguiars NXT Tech Wax

good products, but there are better out there, for similar money.

degreaser on paint?

I'm not feeling confident with that recommendation...???

Wax and Grease remover, not degreaser like the type you use in your engine bay (the one you're thinking off, usually is acidic and will eat into your paint). Theres a spray type, my detailer stocks which is about $15 a can.

Is there are filler type wax/polish for black paint after I've clayed and washed?

StageaGirl, try to avoid filler colour correction type polishes. In my experience they dull your paint. At most, use it to fill certain scratches and chips, e.g. on your bumper, key scratches you get the idea.

fark me dead.... i haven't read all this thread... i quickly skimmed over the posts and was dumbfounded with all the mis-information and people who generally have no idea....

there are some good detailing forums around, i suggest some of you guys have a read of them!

www.autopia.org is a good one to start off with!

yeah, i know hey. Another site that's worth checking is the Meguires forum.. they've helped me out of some very tight situations before.

http://www.meguiarsonline.com/

Edited by Howie

here are the things wrong with that..

Firstly i give her a wash using Johsons & Johnsons baby shampoo, with a Meguirs Lambswool wash mit.

do not use human products on the car, is designd to moisture rise a baby, so it has alot of oil in it, which will sit on the surface of your car.. the mits are crap, all they do is scratch as they get cloggd with dirt

Then a chamois with a Meguirs Microfibre chamoi

Then a coat of Meguirs Paint Cleaner

its crap

Then a coat of Meguirs Deep Crystal Polish

its crap

Then leave that overnight

why?

Then a coat of Autoglym Synthetic Wax

why? you already used the meguiers, theres no point waxing over wax

Leave that sit overnight

Then a coat of Turtle Wax Carnuaba Wax

why? you already used the autoglym, theres no point waxing over wax

meguiers is shit house, autoglym is much better..

But i use zymol, german products.

http://www.zdoau.com/

it is the best, nothing comes even close..

edit: i could get a better finish that yours, cheaper, and quicker..

wash car.

clay car with 3M paint clay, its removes fallout and other things on the surface.

wax car using zymol cleaner wax ($60) it will fill small scratches and hide swirl marks, has %17 canuba, and will out gloss most other things of the same price ont he market and last longer..

You can get up to %90 canuba in the zymol range, obviously they get more expensive, but its the best..

I'll second that ! Autoglym is fcing awesome !!! I tried it for the first time on Sunday and it's SO much better than any other polish I've ever used. I'm SOLD. ;)

39.jpg

to get it to that stage, i used (in this order):

Meguiars NXT Tech Wash

Mothers Quik Clay

Meguiars Mirror Glaze Fine Cut Cleaner #2

Meguiars Mirror Glaze Swirl Remover 2.0 #9

Meguiars Mirror Glaze Showcar Glaze #7

Meguiars NXT Tech Wax

Looks great!! :)

I'm going to use a similar process on my car soon, #9 then #7 then #21 if I can find it, or NXT Tech Wax if I can't. I believe #21 to be the pro version of Tech Wax.

I would NEVER wash a car with human products, would you ever wash your hair with cut 'n' polish? Even if you were planning to condition it afterwards?

OK, can someone clear up a few things for me?

correct me if I'm wrong:

1. I thought that polish takes away a tiny bit of the clear coat.. sort of like a really weak cut. Therefore if you polish everyday/week eventually, you will have no paint?

2. Likewise, I have thought that wax adds and seals up the clearcoat. So instead of taking a layer of and reavling fresh shiny paint, it adds to it. Therefore, you can wax, whenever the hell you feel like it.

3. How does clay go about taking the contaminents out of the paint? From a quick read of one of the links I was under the impression that it "sucks" or absorbs it.... What I'm saying is, will clay take any paint with it similiar to a cut/polish??? and will excessive use cause damage to the paint/clearcoat?