SAU Community

Polishes/wax

I've learnt alot on the meguiars site... For those confused or not sure, read this thread. http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums/showt...p;threadid=2409

Then check this thread out.. http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthrea...p;threadid=7011

I'll be doing similar and will take some before/after pics to see how well I've gone :)

OK, can someone clear up a few things for me?

correct me if I'm wrong:

1. I thought that polish takes away a tiny bit of the clear coat.. sort of like a really weak cut. Therefore if you polish everyday/week eventually, you will have no paint?

2. Likewise, I have thought that wax adds and seals up the clearcoat. So instead of taking a layer of and reavling fresh shiny paint, it adds to it. Therefore, you can wax, whenever the hell you feel like it.

3. How does clay go about taking the contaminents out of the paint? From a quick read of one of the links I was under the impression that it "sucks" or absorbs it.... What I'm saying is, will clay take any paint with it similiar to a cut/polish??? and will excessive use cause damage to the paint/clearcoat?

1) Correct - polishing does take a small amount of clear-coat away... also depends on the 'cut' or the harshness of the polish... i.e. some will take alot, some will take barely any.

The upside is, you really don't need to polish the car that often.

If you polish it properly the first time, and use a good sealant and wax, then realistically you don't really need to polish it again for a fair while (6 - 9 months odd? if you keep it well maintained, with regular washes and waxing etc)

2) wax forms a protective layer between the air and the paint - yes, wax whenever you feel like it (generally not needed more than about once a month (as a minimum) unless its left outside in really shitty conditions.

3) Clay has mild abrasives in it, and you can get different compounds of clay... some aren't so good, and can easily damage the surface of the paint. Yes, clay will take very minute amounts of clear away with it.

i did this to my car recenty:

1.wash car

2.meguires scratch x on bad parts

3.meguires polish on whole car

4.meguires tech wax on whole car

clay was not really needed so didnt bother.

anyway my point is i have previously used carnuba waxes, they didnt last long but looked good, this time i used tech wax expecting it to last, and it didnt. the top of the car wore off in about 3-4 weeks, the sides were not bad (now its been maybe 6 weeks) but mostly in need of re wax. i used to get that sort of life with carnuba wax.

the car is left outside and its been through heavy rain at times, a bit of hail even, and sun.

i just re waxed it today after a bird had massive problems on my car.

what do others think about the life of tech wax? i am dissapointed, it looks (and smells!) pretty good but expected more life. what other products last longer and still look ok? (asking those who can directly compare, not speculate)

I believe Megs #21 Synthetic Sealant is the pro version of Tech Wax. I haven't found a place that stocks it, plus being a 2L bottle it'll probably be expensive, so I'm going to get some Tech Wax and see how I go this weekend.

If you want longer lasting products, a polymer sealant will beat a wax. However the wax looks a bit nicer. Can't have everything :P

I believe Megs #21 Synthetic Sealant is the pro version of Tech Wax. I haven't found a place that stocks it, plus being a 2L bottle it'll probably be expensive, so I'm going to get some Tech Wax and see how I go this weekend.

If you want longer lasting products, a polymer sealant will beat a wax. However the wax looks a bit nicer. Can't have everything :O

ah, but you can top a polymer sealant with a good carnauba wax to get the best of both worlds :D

I used 5 star shine its bloody expensive but it lasts for ages only its the only polish thats US patented. Highly recomend this product

I have some pics of my car about a year after the 5 star shine was applied. Photoshop brings the gloss out a little but you get the idea.

pics of my car

Looks great when its overcast but the problem I have is swirl marks I have tried everything to remove them went to the autopedia.com forum for advice used orbal buffer with different pads and polishes no luck given up on trying to remove them. I guess I will just try to fill them in going to try Zano the yanks love this shit ill see how it goes. You can get it from www.waxit.com.au heaps of good advice here too.

This stuff would want to be good $695

08Swissol Mystery Concours Wax.

cheers

I have some pics of my car about a year after the 5 star shine was applied. Photoshop brings the gloss out a little but you get the idea.

pics of my car

That's nice mate. Miss my burgandy exa, they look awesome with a good of wax.

If you want longer lasting products, a polymer sealant will beat a wax. However the wax looks a bit nicer. Can't have everything :D

well thats why i used tech wax, it is a synthetic protectant as oposed to the carnuba wax i used to use. isnt this what you mean?

:(

here are some pics i quickly took on my mobile after i did the whole thing properly the first time. i got rid of the majority of swirls that time i was really happy with it.

post-2685-1156305392.jpg

post-2685-1156305420.jpg

Edited by siksII

ah, but you can top a polymer sealant with a good carnauba wax to get the best of both worlds :/

yep, have heard of this being done. I don't think I have the patience myself :/

siks: yes, NXT will give you a good relatively durable finish. You can get ultimate gloss and depth with a pure carnauba wax but it probably won't last as long.

I just bought Tech Wax to do my car on saturday (in conjunction with #9 swirl remover and #7 glaze)

ok whats a good product for a good cut for those harder or more severe scratches?? any particular method for these bits? or just get it on the area and work it in, polish it up and wax it as per normal...

ok whats a good product for a good cut for those harder or more severe scratches?? any particular method for these bits? or just get it on the area and work it in, polish it up and wax it as per normal...

I have found meguires scratch x is good for this, u just need to know how to use it..

its not the type of stuff u apply then let dry and remove, instead you rub it in till it stops working then remove and keep repeating until the mark is removed.

this is because the scratchx starts harsh and as you rub it in the particles become smaller and produce a finer finish which is why you need to keep repeating to make use of when the scratchx is at its harshest.

after using that its best to use a pure polish then apply a wax to protect it.

doing that is an excellent way to remove swirls too, just takes a lots of time and effort.

After the weekend's efforts failed to remove half my swirl marks it looks like skyline paint in good nick is pretty damn tough.. I'm going to have to attack it with the buffer next time :ninja:

still, it feels good with a fresh coat of wax :laugh:

I tested out mine on my FTO first...using most fo the products above...comes up nice. I will be doing the line next.

I found the trick was as in the previous post...use the pad to apply and work in the product. I used the clay, Scratch X, Deep Crystal Polish, NXT Tech Wax...car came up really good...just takes a while.

Some1 reckons that the autoglym "deep gloss shine" is really better....wont know unless I try it. Also some1 was reckons Mothers Reflections advanced top coat over the wax?? I don't see the point of it though but they reckon its awsome.

Cut: Farecla

Polish: Cant go past bowdens own love the shit

Glass: Autoglym glass polish (after using farecla G3 compound) sooo gloshy

Headlights: Brasso

Wheels: Highpressure then brush - polish aloy with Autosol

Black plastick and rubbers: i use a product called black chrome it works exceptionaly well

I am a car was adict and would say i have used preety much every mainstream product and these are what i have come to find to be the best

I now only use the bowdens chamois it rocks and for all your polishing they make diffrent types of washable pads that they say last 1000 uses

even if they dont end up lasting that long they are bloody amazing to work with. Unfortunately the only place you can get it is autobarn

hope this helps,

Dan

ps: kinks there are lots worse than turtle wax!

I'm now a convert for clay bars.. wow. I polished my car one weekend (Meguiars #9 Swirl Remover, #7 Glaze, and NXT Tech Wax) and I was helping a mate do his car the following weekend, and he clayed it. I was amazed at how much crap it picked up off his car so I washed my car and clayed it with the car wash still on it. Picked up a LOT of stuff, and the paint was way smoother.

Going to have to attack mine with a harder cut to get the swirls out though.. looks like Nissan paint is pretty tough.

As stated earlier I have applied to cotes of the zanio z5 so far and it give a better shine than anything else I have ever used including the tech wax. Still havent used the Z2 sealent but I cant wait to see how good it looks after that.

The Z5 has covered a lot of the swirls but its still a long way off the swirl free finish id like. But like I said I have tried everything to remove hope you guys have better luck than me?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...