SAU Community

Polishes/wax

• 2 weeks later...

Hi peoples just after some advice for my car, it is a white 34 4 door and the paint is really dull i have tried to polish it but it dose not polish up and it is really hard to get the polish of i am guessing it needs a kind of cut and polish but i am not shore what to use. If someone could help with the product and order in what to do with it that would be great.

ps i have access to a makita sander polisher with varibale speed also

Cheers Andrew

Good GOD! please dont polish it any more .. Take it to a self car wash .. before you do follow these instructions..

Goto A car shop..

Buy

Maquires Paint cleaner..

Maquires TEC WAX (has to be this wax)

A sponge.. But it has to have little wool like tails on one side .. I think eco make them? they rock!

Maquires chamios .. the $25+ one..

Polishing cloth x2 packs

Ok goto ur car place n spray it down with soap and water.. Dont use the brush unless ur cleaning ur rims please .. biggest no no!

Now after uve spent $2 spraying it down with soap and water get ur sponge wet it and clean it ... try not to spend to much time cleaning one spot .. will fade ur paint by the sounds of things..

$2 and spray it down with fresh water..

Chammy it down .. Well .. Try work from top of car (i start at the bonnet as its hottest and drys fastest) and finish at the bottom as the bottom has all shit u dont want to scratch ur paint with rocks n yukky shit.

Get ur paint cleaner n use it like polish .. Use a first wipe rag n a second wipe rag (rag = polish cloth) so clean it off using direct straight wipes to remove the bulk and then use the second one to remove the other shit.

Now once uve done the whole car hit it up with tec wax .. Same deal apply remove bulk with one and then use the second to give it a nice shine..

Right now ur sweating like a bitch and ur arms hurt .. But guess what ur paints so rooted u need to repeat the wax again all over the car.. And then what? Wash it .. And then what? chammy!!! and then wax it again if you want .. but right now ur guna be happy .. I find if I wax it again I miss alot of the wax and it wont fully disappear in the sun..

Now with this you have removed most swirls and dull ness .. in the next day or two take it back wash it again and wax it .. If its still not up to standard double wax it and from now on try clean it once a week and wax it at least one time out of two washes..

If you dont see a improvement you need a respray but I doubt it.. its a r34 for god sake!

And FYI.. It may cost about $130 for all the waxes and shit but its well worth it .. so just buy it and dont get turtle wax crap or anything .. THEY ARE NOT THE SAME AND DO NOT DO THE SAME THING!

Edited by DECIM8

unless you're putting A LOT of elbow grow ease in at the polish stage, you won't bring the paint back without an RO.

Paint cleansers are CHEMICAL cleansers, won't do anything for swirls/scratches, and they won't act as a polish as most don't have any abrasives. Hence, WON'T un-dull the paint.

NXT wax being a carnauba based wax needs time to cure before applying another layer, otherwise you are just wasting product. Pointless to go over the car twice, straight after each other.

You need an RO, the Bosch PXE400a or something like that, is a greater starter. Bout $150 from bunnings.

Next, you'll need good buffing pads. I highly recommend the 'Edge' brand pads.

Without seeing pics of your car, you'll most likely need the full Yellow/Green/Blue/White range of pads (that's in order from highest cutting power to lowest).

You'll also need some good polishes. Poor Boys make some decent ones, Menzerna are your best bet though as they are the only company to have all their abrasives at a uniform size, and contain no fillers (read Scratch X)

Really depends on what finish you're after, if you're not too fussed you could hit the car with a medium stage polish pad (Blue) with a relatively low cutting power polish. And then finish off with a finishing pad (White) with a finishing polish, say Menzerna's Final Finish. Being white, marks aren't anywhere near as noticeable as a black car, so you can get away with a lot more.

After polishing, you have to wash to remove the polish residue, and THEN you can wax. If you're using a carnauba based wax, you can't re-apply straight away, you have to let it cure. Some sure faster than others, roughly 48-72 hours as a very rough guide. So after a couple days, wash the car again, then re-wax. Get about 3-4 layers on, and it should last you a good few months. That's if you don't destroy the wax by using the soap solutions at the car washes. The only thing to use at the car washes is the High Pressure water. Everything else is just plain dodgy, can stain rubbers, strip wax... etc.

good luck

EDIT: forgot to mention clay bars, very important if you're paint is rough feeling (which it sounds like it would be) and greatly improves the polishing/end results. Clay Magic make great clay bars.

Strange .. Cause works for me .. And if you saw my car with stock factory paint not many if any other cars would compare in shine and luster... But hey each to their own

EDIT: forgot to mention clay bars, very important if you're paint is rough feeling (which it sounds like it would be) and greatly improves the polishing/end results. Clay Magic make great clay bars.

My car has that dull/rough feeling when i touch the paint. I gave it a solid wash (water/soap) this past weekend but havent done any polish/waxing yet. I was thinkin about just paying for a professional detail but havent decided. I just got the car so i figured i'd start it off with a pro detail since it seems logical that maintaining a clean car is easier than bringing back that paint shine.

Any suggestions? If i go the pro route, obviously ill make sure they clean/clay/polish/wax then i can just wash it and wax it when necessary myself to maintain.

If i dont, should i go buy a clay bar and some sort of polish? I already have a tin of mothers carnauba wax i planned to use but havent just yet.

I really wish i could do everything at home, damn water restrictions i refuse to wash my car with grey water!

With all the crap you should buy to achive a good paint surface your going to look at about the same cost as a pro detailer.. Just get a reputable one as alot of them can root your paint .. Use the search to find a reputable one people recommend! After "show and shine" im sure some people would have used a few online forum detailers..

I would go buy some tec wax, I swear by the stuff as I cant find another that lifts off as easy and actually leaves a coat of wax lol.

Btw it takes a shitlong time to do a good wax coat.. So imagine the whole car job.. Just take way to long! So id go pro and ask them about waxes to maintain it .. You can get some pretty pricy ones and ones that last months .. But I wouldnt recommend them (long lasting) as you'll start to see swirls etc which you'll need a pro to remove as you cant just wax over it ..

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

its all in the biceps... big biceps... big shine. I use hair gel, u can style ur car into any shape.. its magnificent.

Na seriously now, after very very fine cutter, then polish, i waxed this baby with meguires tech wax and its frikin mad. now every couple days or even on weekends rinse car, dry and spray quick wax then wipe to a shine.. take time and polish it right every few months. then in between cleans take 5mins... mines still smooth as a brasilian ass slapped in baby oil.

gave my 33 the old spray n wipe this arv.. real simple job came up pretty sweet.

step 1. hose.. from my water tank of course (damn water restrictions!)

step 2. warm soapy water + soft sponge.. from a bucket!

step 3. hose off again..

step 4. shamois! i did small sections at a time.. then wiped n dryed.. no streaks! i fkn hate streaks!

same for my rims.. god damn they were filthy.. brake dust! grr! hose...soapy sponge.. hose = shiny rims!

then took to the interior with the armourall an a super soft cloth.. no more dust.. lots more shine. only spent about an hour on it all up an it looks pretty good i think :glare:

all well n good till i have 2 park her in the dust n dirty at work on monday morning!

• 2 weeks later...

Have any of you heard about the 5 Star Shine? It has a U.S patent by the US Navy. They use it on their ships to keep them clean. This stuff is NASA technology and keeps your car clean too. Most high end show cars use it and a lot of car dealerships use it. It's been tested and has survived over 150 washings! After you apply the 5 star shine, in the future all you have to do is spray it down with water to clean it off. All the dirt, tree sap, bugs and other dirty crap just sprays off. They guarantee that their paint protection system will last 5 years and will have a better shine than waxes. 5 Star Shine is not a wax, its more like teflon with a show room shine for your car. The kit costs around 100USD. Check out their website for more info

http://www.5starshine.com/

I know it sounds funny but this stuff really works good. A friend of mine used this kit on his 94 mercedes and I'm telling you that it looks 10 times better and it stays that way. He's a 67 yr old man and it took him a little under 4 hours to do.

You probably won't have THE best shine in a contest but it's surely a top quality shine that keeps maintenance... something waxes can't do (at least all the top brands that I've tried before). I think it's a steal compared to the amount of time/effort and money you spend on waxes over 5 years.

If you heard something bad about this product please let me know... I have a kit at home but I'm waiting for a respray before I apply it. If there's something wrong with the 5 star shine then I won't use it but so far all I've heard is good things. Thanks

excuse the previous post..

basically, the old adage here is true "if it's too good to be true...."

DON'T APPLY THIS AFTER YOUR RESPRAY!!! a freshly resprayed car needs a wax that will BREATHE! ie, carnauba based wax. A sealant will not let the new paint cure properly

this product has been around for a while, and has been tried by quite a few. It will NOT give you 5 years of protection, you can base this on the behaviour of the water when you wash the car. From all accounts, it's hard to apply and remove (standard wax process). Some

waxes are not designed to last forever, that is true. But you're MUCH better off spending LESS money on quality products such as Optimum's, OCW wax. A carnauba/synthetic blend. About $30, possibly THE easiest wax to apply and a few layers will give you ~3 months protection. PLUS it's safe on trims/rubbers (and give them some protection). VERY IMPORTANT as some LSP (last step product) can stain trim/rubbers and that gets very $$ to replace OEM.

A $30 bottle of OCW will last you a year (most likely more) with waxing every couple of washes. It's a spray wax, so it's spray on, wipe, then buff off. Could do a whole car in about 10 mins, unlike hours for 5SS and it doesn't dust up either.

Gimmicks like 5SS abound the interweb, perhaps i could interest you in a few products to halve your fuel consumption? :P

Wow, this is the first negative review I've heard of 5SS. I've even seen it with my own eyes... but I haven't seen the longevity. Is OCW an Australian brand or something? I never heard of it. I live in S.Korea so I'm probably limited on which high end brands I can purchase. If 5SS would be bad in the long run then I'll probably won't use it. What I'm really after is that 'mirror' like finish that requires the least amount of maintenance and lasts long. Thanks for the info btw.

whats your thoughts on armourall? I use it for my interior but when I take my gtt to the detailing shop here in S.Korea they get pissed cause I used it. They say it collects dust more or something like that.

• 2 weeks later...

hehe, you think $40 a bottle is expensive, how about $18,000? :D

$40 is cheap, but if you're going to spend that money, buy OCW for $30, better all round wax, and dead set easy to use. If you want a paste wax, P21S is a great bang for buck wax as well.

The real stand out waxes only really start from $100 onwards, and by stand out, i mean the real quality, boutique type waxes.

And i'm not joking about the $18,000 either