SAU Community

VINS you want "fasted"

On 13/01/2017 at 4:22 PM, RANDY said:

No probs! Cheers!

Presumably you don't have camber bolts in the struts?

Here are the part numbers for your car, and the alternate part numbers. The other side is 54505 with the same endings.

-Steve

2017-01-13 16_10_49-NFA010 Nissan FAST for Windows [1].png

Thanks Steve for your help. Based on the markings on the LCA's I have, is there anyway to know which is the correct ones?

Also I have noticed the inner and outer ball joints have markings and most likely a certain direction they need to be fitted. The service manual does not tell me much. Any further info in FAST? The outer ball joint has the following markings, 8 7 or L and R. I bet the bloody ball joints are around the wrong way. This would explain the difference in camber. I will check R faces the right side of the car. There are markings on the inner ball joint too. I has the letter B and the other the letter A. No idea what that is all about. I will remove both LCA's soon and double check orientation.

Also, can you tell me the part number for HICAS steering rear rack end for my car? BNR32-301183

Cheers Peter

Edited by my_gtr32

11 hours ago, my_gtr32 said:

Thanks Steve for your help. Based on the markings on the LCA's I have, is there anyway to know which is the correct ones?

Also I have noticed the inner and outer ball joints have markings and most likely a certain direction they need to be fitted. The service manual does not tell me much. Any further info in FAST? The outer ball joint has the following markings, 8 7 or L and R. I bet the bloody ball joints are around the wrong way. This would explain the difference in camber. I will check R faces the right side of the car. There are markings on the inner ball joint too. I has the letter B and the other the letter A. No idea what that is all about. I will remove both LCA's soon and double check orientation.

Also, can you tell me the part number for HICAS steering rear rack end for my car? BNR32-301183

Cheers Peter

Hey mate, i'm not sure on what sort of markings are on the parts, but if they look identical from left to right and they measure up the same, it's probably fine. I'm not sure about ball joint direction, other than one is for the left and other for the right. Do you have camber bolts?

Not sure if i've found the part you want:

2017-01-16 09_24_47-NFA025  ILLUSTRATION.png

2017-01-16 09_25_47-NFA010 Nissan FAST for Windows [1].png

1 hour ago, RANDY said:

Hey mate, i'm not sure on what sort of markings are on the parts, but if they look identical from left to right and they measure up the same, it's probably fine. I'm not sure about ball joint direction, other than one is for the left and other for the right. Do you have camber bolts?

Not sure if i've found the part you want:

2017-01-16 09_24_47-NFA025  ILLUSTRATION.png

2017-01-16 09_25_47-NFA010 Nissan FAST for Windows [1].png

Hi, no the part you looked for is not the right one. I need the tie rod shaft. 48521 is the first bit of the part number. What is the full part number?

I don't have camber bolts but have adjustable upper arms. When I purchased the car the right front wheel always needed the upper arm to be 10mm longer than left to match camber. This screws up caster and ride height. I changed the right arm and now I only have 0.5 degree camber on the right where before it would have been over 2 degrees. That is a huge change so a little variation of the LCA length (from ball joint to ball joint), makes a big difference to camber It measures 315mm on a GTR LCA.

Standard upper arms are 178mm long on a R32 GTR, so if you lower the car to 350mm from hub centre the camber will increase to 1.4 degrees or so. With the right LCA marked 3405U, camber is 0 degree. I have it adjusted as short as possible which is 175mm and I get 0.5 degree instead of almost 2 which you would expect.

I have never heard of any direction the ball joints need to be installed either but why is there markings on them and mention in the service manual that many do go in a certain way. A few millimetres difference in the length of the LCA is all that it takes to resolve the issue. I either have another bent arm (unlikely) or it simply isn't the correct part for a late model R32. All I have to go by is the numbers stamped in the arms. I need to match these numbers with the part numbers you have given me. Nightmare.

Cheers

2 hours ago, my_gtr32 said:

Hi, no the part you looked for is not the right one. I need the tie rod shaft. 48521 is the first bit of the part number. What is the full part number?

I don't have camber bolts but have adjustable upper arms. When I purchased the car the right front wheel always needed the upper arm to be 10mm longer than left to match camber. This screws up caster and ride height. I changed the right arm and now I only have 0.5 degree camber on the right where before it would have been over 2 degrees. That is a huge change so a little variation of the LCA length (from ball joint to ball joint), makes a big difference to camber It measures 315mm on a GTR LCA.

Standard upper arms are 178mm long on a R32 GTR, so if you lower the car to 350mm from hub centre the camber will increase to 1.4 degrees or so. With the right LCA marked 3405U, camber is 0 degree. I have it adjusted as short as possible which is 175mm and I get 0.5 degree instead of almost 2 which you would expect.

I have never heard of any direction the ball joints need to be installed either but why is there markings on them and mention in the service manual that many do go in a certain way. A few millimetres difference in the length of the LCA is all that it takes to resolve the issue. I either have another bent arm (unlikely) or it simply isn't the correct part for a late model R32. All I have to go by is the numbers stamped in the arms. I need to match these numbers with the part numbers you have given me. Nightmare.

Cheers

yeah wow. What a mess! Good luck with that I suppose!?

2017-01-16 14_05_47-NFA010 Nissan FAST for Windows [1].png

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Giaccovitch said:

Cheers mate, is there any way to see what car my engine is from?

mmm... as in: is it an R33 engine or something... my bro-in-law has that scenario and I think stuff like the oil pump is different and a few other obscure things. I'll have a dig around.