SAU Community

The "i Can Lend You Thread"

• 1 month later...

Hi Guys

I'm a new member, just picked up my silver R32 GTR on the weekend and i've enjoyed every second so far!

However, I think the local constabulary and inspectors might be a little unhappy with the following:

Loud exhaust, 4.5 inch cannon - Kiakamoto system (spelling?) from Cat back.

Wide wheels, NISMO 18x9 (possibly 9.5), they are borderline - tread is under the guard (just) but sidewall is not....

Could anyone possibly help me out with these?

Does anyone know where I might be able to get a 4.5 inch silencer/hotdog/restrictor? I called a few places today and they said the largest silencers they have are 3.5 inch. I would like to try passing it with this exhaust before I try another but just in case...

Does anyone have a stock exhaust I could borrow or rent? (I can pay deposit or something too)

Worst case i'll weld up a crude silencer just to get it through.

I should be able to source wheels but I was just wondering if anyone has been in a similair situation, with the tread under the guard but sidewalls not, if so how'd you go?

Finally do you guys have a prefferred inspection station? Do you have to go through dickson?

My Car

post-37041-1175593960.jpg

Sweet ride dude.

as far as i know, only the tread has to be under the guard, not the sidewall, but in any case, just try with it as is, it may give them something "easy" to fail you on

as for the exhaust, im pretty sure theres a stock one floating around somewhere, or you may be able to get a cat back rego exhaust made up for pretty cheap

Yeh theres a stock 32 GTR zorst around somewhere...

You will not pass with a silencer in your exhaust, you will need to put in a restrictor flange further up or use a quiet bolt on muffler.

you can use a silencer aslong as it is bolted in with the bolt welded. my friend past with his bolted in with a pretty tiny screw the nut on the outside of the tip was welded on so which dickson luckily didnt check so he could just unscrew it :)

Don't be too confident that the authorites don't troll our little forums...it's happened in the past! That'd be my standard 'zorst that's doing the rounds. It's currently on a members' car,and a further member was looking at actually purchasing it at one stage(don't know if he's still interested). yaf28f currently has it,and has my best wishes to use it until all defects/rego is cleared. He's a good fella,who will post it up once it's ready to go again,I'm sure. watch this thread...

Cheers for the fast responses guys. I'll have a bit of a think, might get a quote on a quieter cat back - something I would probably do down the line anyway, its just too loud. However it would be great to have that stock exhaust as a fall back when yaf28f is finished with it. We'll see....

Thanks guys

Hi guys, sorry I have had bits of delay getting my car changed to canberra REGO, things got delayed as my cousin could only work on the car on weekends and there was a big spell of rain ever weekend for awhile, and he recently became a father, I will try to get off my ass this wekeend and next to finish with the exhuast now that weather is better and plenty of spare time over easter.

Once again thanks Jayce for the loan and patience.

cheers

Michael

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi guys, this is going to be a weird one.

1st, thanks Jayce for the loan of you exhuast, I will return it to Integra automotive as soon as I can borrow my friends station wagon. I manage to get my hand on another exhaust from my cousin. Thanks again for such a long loan.

2nd, anyone have shocks for a R32 GTR that they want to sell or loan? I was getting my drive shaft reconditioned and upper control arms put in, but apparently my bilstein shocks just broke and fell off, haven't had a chance to see my car yet. I will have a look in the for sale forum, but it's always easier getting something locally.

Luck is just not on my side getting my car regoed in canberra :domokun:

cheers guys.

Edited by yaf28f

I was getting my drive shaft reconditioned, but my apparently my bilstein suspension just broke and fell off, haven't had a chance to see my car yet. I will have a look in the for sale forum, but it's always easier getting something locally.

Luck is just not on my side getting my car regoed in canberra :domokun:

cheers guys.

I'd be kicking someone's ass about that. Major brand suspension components don't just "break and fall off" and Bilstiens aren't exactly cheap. Suspension components in particular are designed to take massive amounts of abuse (in the right axis admittedly) and shouldn't just break.

If it wasn't you who made this happen - someone else is paying for it.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys,

Its coming up to the time where I need to transfer my car from NSW to ACT. The importers provided me 3 months rego under their name. I bought my 33 with 18"s and TEIN coilovers. *sigh*

I've heard that the laws have changed, again, where the coil overs need to be engineered.. is this correct?

If so, I will need to fork out, I assume, $500+ for that dude to come out and engineer it.

If possible, would it be possible to borrow someone elses stuff? Alot of trouble and fuss.. but I'd rather save the $500+ and put it towards an exhaust. And obviously I would re-imburse the lender with something for the hassle.

I had only heard it was certain coilovers? Maybe it's best to just go and get it inspected? What's the stock r33 wheels size?

I was certain I'd need to get mine engineered with my mods, but luckily enough, I was passed 2nd go. Sometimes your fortunate.

I had only heard it was certain coilovers? Maybe it's best to just go and get it inspected? What's the stock r33 wheels size?

I was certain I'd need to get mine engineered with my mods, but luckily enough, I was passed 2nd go. Sometimes your fortunate.

I've spoken to the head of Dickson rego about coilovers recently and the word from him is that whether a brand of coilovers can be engineered or not depends on whether the manufacturer provides the necessary guarantees that the product meets ADRs. Apparently most manufacturers don't bother and advise that their products are only for track use.

One brand that this guy said he thought were able to be engineered were Tein, so you might be ok Star.

Hi Jayce,

Just letting you know that I have returned your stock R32 exhaust to Integra Automotive. Thanks for the loan again and remind you to shout you some drinks if I ever meet you.

Just to let you guys know about my poor R32 GTR, looks like one of my rear Bilstein shocks had the thread snapped off, I sent it to the Bilstein repairers in Syndey which quote $280 to repair, and they would also need the other rear one to match up, which would cost $560. looks like I'll be looking for a second hand set which would end up cheaper for all 4 than repairing the 2.

My Car has ran into alot of bad luck and it looks like it willl take forever to get in into Canberra rego, damn.

Michael