SAU Community

Review: Mv Automatics Shift Kit And High-stall

OK so here's the story

previous setup:

- stock auto trans with trannie cooler

- rb20det with rb25 turbo

car would stall to 1800rpm at the strip and generate about -5psi manifold pressure.. when taking off its lag city

then gear changes take about 1-2sec

i ran a 14.7 @ 98mph with a 60' of 2.5sec

new setup:

- 2800rpm high-stall --> from MV automatics

- stage 2 shift kit --> from MV automatics

- rb20det with rb25 turbo

now the car can stall to 3200rpm and should be able to generate about +5psi manifold pressure!

i have not tested this yet as i have just got the car back and have not driven on my own..

the shift kit drives really nicely...

Low rpm shifts are almost normal but high rpm shifts are very firm.. pretty much instantaneous!

hoping to drop the 60' time to 2.0sec and instant shift changes with this setup and looking at running low 14s...

will post a more thorough review below in the next few days...

GO THE AUTO!!!

cheers,

Warren

i bought the items from MV automatics and they sent to brisbane. i had them instaleld up here in brisbane and am sending my old items back

for price, contact MV automatics. i'm not affiliated with them so don't want to quote prices on their behalf...

apparently stage 1 shift kit is for towing, and is not really performance orientated

the stage 2 kit is for performance shifts

the stage 3 is a fully manualised valve body (using stock shifter to change gears) and is more for engine conversions apparently

Hmm sounds interesting.

Might get my hands on one.

What power are you on at the moment?

Just worried about drivability compared to stock.

Is there a difference between gear changes? Very harsh or just similar to stock?

Would you have MV Automatics details?

as i said, i have not realyl had a chance to give the car a good drive yet, but on initial impressions...

low rpm gear changes aren't to bad. sometimes first to second clunks but its not too jerky at all.. still instantaneous

mid rpm gear changes are very clean and not jerky

high rpm gear changes have not been done yet, but the mechanic test drove the car and said that it chirps from first to second :)

MV details:

Mike at MV AUTOMATICS

1 Stirling Rd Blackwood SA 5051 (08) 8370 0430

ok i have now given the car a good lot of driving...

changes from first to second are a bit harsher than normal. sometime at low speeds you can feel a bit of a jolt/clunk as it changes gears..

other gear changes are fine

changes are mid to high rpm are very smooth :/

flat out first to second does chirp the wheels too!

obviously all the gear changes are now instantaneous...

as for the stally...

i can get it to about 3300rpm holding the brake and handbrake. this gives my 6psi :/ after than i start to wheelspin...

this is going to make a HUGE different at the drags adn will defiately drop my 60' times half a second and hopefully my ET by 0.7sec or so...

If you can get the 2.0sec 60foot time you should make the 13sec quarter on that alone... plus the quicker shifts should net a few more tenths and bring you closer to a 13.7sec pass.

Goodluck with it, keep us informed.....

Fixxxer :P

hrrrmmm...sounds good! I'll definately be keeping my eye on this thread as im considering something similare for the 33...

WazR32GTSt just a side question:

When taking it for a run on the strip do you leave it in D or start off in 1st and go through the gears???

• 1 month later...

Good stuff Wazz..

Be sure to let us know how much better it runs down the strip.

It looks as the stock convertor will suit the rb30 well. 1800rpm or so its making what ever boost I throw at it and with a gt30 bolted on the side will no doubt be making some reasonable boost at that rpm also.

Should be good. Can't wait to flog this manual off. :P

for those who are after the prices and details on the valve bodies (shift kits) and torque converters go to this thread

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/in...showtopic=62854

My 33 has run 13.2's with a failing diff, and Tein suspension (way too hard for drags).

I got the best time manually selecting gears rather than leaving it in drive, but I also have a PFC so this may make a slight difference to my shift points.

cubes, just think how jucy 10+psi would be at 3000rpm with a nice high-stall on the rb30!

lol yep.. at the moment its making around 100rwkw at 2000rpm, 2500rpm 130rwkw and 3000rpm 164rwkw. :P

light throttle cruising.. How do you find the highstall? does it still feel fairly tight? Fuel economy any changes?

I've never had a high stall so when I hear high stall i think of the oldschool v8's u see cruising around that when taking off even on light throttle instantly flick to high rev's and take off even though they are only limping it around. They can't just give it light throttle and cruise off sounding normalish. If that makes sense. :no:

Would be awesome to check out an incar vid of the speedo tacho with you just cruising around.. maybe a little bit of a hard throttle blip off the mark with out stalling it up and maybe with stalling it up also. :)

Just to wet my appetite. Thats if your able to do so.

I sure will be doing a before and after vid.. before with manual.. after with the rb30.