SAU Community

Tyre Widths For 9 Inch Wheels...

I have r33gtr wheels on my s13.

I am looking at buying some R rubber in the near future.

I like the look and the reports i have read about the re55's.

My main concern is that i currently have a 225 street tyre fitted and it has left me with next to no clearance on the suspension, thats with a 30mm bolt on spacer. i think i should be able to fit the 235 40 17 that the re55's are made in, i am just concerned that the width (235) is a little narrow for a 9 inch wide wheel. i wouldn't want the tyre to pop off the rim under hard cornering etc.

also does anyone know of an R rubber tyre that comes in 225 40 17, and if that would be ok on a 9 inch wide wheel?

i really like these wheels and would like to use them as my track day wheels, obviously this will only happen if i can get a tyre combo that will fit and be safe.

i am just concerned that the width (235) is a little narrow for a 9 inch wide wheel. i wouldn't want the tyre to pop off the rim under hard cornering etc.

Well my 215/45s have not popped off after grip track days, smashing the wheel on a gutter or

light easterly breezes, so I think you will have no problems, but no, nobody makes a 225/40R17 R-tyre

I have looked :P

IMG_0365.jpg

p.s. I have lowered my car since this pic so don't worry...

p.p.s Does anybody search at all?

235/45 on 17x9

IMG_0368.jpg

215/45 on 17x9

IMG_0366.jpg

QUOTE:Well my 215/45s have not popped off after grip track days, smashing the wheel on a gutter or

light easterly breezes, so I think you will have no problems, but no, nobody makes a 225/40R17 R-tyre

I have looked

i understand normal road tyres will stay put on the wheels, even when given a hard time, i was more concerned that r rubber usually has a very stiff side wall and it may tend to be less happy to stretch onto a wider than suited wheel.

thanks for the reply.

i did searh, but found it hard to narrow down what i wanted to know, so search results were very broad.

if anyone knows of an R rubber tyre that is made in 225/40R17 please point me in the right direction.

Edited by R32gts-t

Personally i wouldnt run anything less than a 245 on a 9" rim in R compound and especially with RE55's, the bridgies tend to have much stiffer side walls than most semi slicks anyway, so not only will the tyre fitter have a massively hard time getting them on (if at all) but i'd say you'll have alot of trouble with ride quality and will have to run higher pressures to stop them getting nudged off the bead..

i understand normal road tyres will stay put on the wheels, even when given a hard time, i was more concerned that r rubber usually has a very stiff side wall and it may tend to be less happy to stretch onto a wider than suited wheel.

Well I am running Dunlop Z1 tyres (top pic) they aren't what I call normal road rubber they are not D01Js but they are not Korean Tempe tyre specials either.

What you find with tyres is that they seem to mould to the wheels, I was recently trying to put some 225/45 onto a 9" wheel after having spend god knows how long on a 7.5" wheel and it was just not happening.

But when I took my Z1 tyres off the wheel I destroyed (they retained pressure after the incident) they had changed shape to suit the 9" wheel... Mounting a second time required no special techniques whatsoever.

The only real problem you will have is that nobody will either know how to or be willing to put them on for you.

I would be really interested to know the circumstances of anyone having sealing problems, the only person I know who has runs second hand Commodore tyres 235 which have spent ages on an 8-inch rim then sticks them on his 10.5 (IIRC) which is a larger stretch the 215/45 on 9-inch.

Interesting how everone is an expert on the consequences of something that nobody ever does :ninja:

At the moment i have 235/40-18s on 10.5" rears and 225/40-18s on 9.5 fronts. Only reason i have this is because fitting 10.5" rims on the back of a gtst is nearly impossible with just rolled guards. If i used bigger than 235s then the tyres will hit on the guard and also stickout past the guard. The person that had the car before i bought it has been using this size tyre for 2yrs and i have been for a yr without any problems from damage or the police.

i just found out that toyo proxes r888 come in a 225 45 17

how do they compare with the bridgestone re55's does anyone know?

alternatively i am going to try and squeeze some 235 40 17's on.

Edited by R32gts-t

Hi Duncan , what offset 17x8's did that R33 GTST have ? I have Rays 17x8.5 30P and plan to fit 235 45's when these noisy G grids wear out .

Also though slightly O/T , if R33 GTR's had 245 45 17's on the back how did Nissan correct the speedo error compared to 33 GTST's std rolling diametre if the diff ratio and speedo gear is the same ?

Cheers A .

Okay then, similar question...Does anyone know the maximum tyre width that will fit onto an 18x8" rim?

I'm presently running 235/40 R18 on 350Z Track rims, but would like to go a bit wider on the rear next time around...

245's would seem logical as the Z already comes with these - but the problem is that to get the correct rolling diameter for an R33 I'd have to get 245/35 R18s (-0.5% different diameter to standard)....a bit of an unusual size apparently...the only tyre manufacturer online I could find that lists them at a semi-reasonable price is Kumho with their KU19 (I had bad experiences in the past with these too)

...Now if I could squeeze a set of 255/35 R18s (+0.60% different diameter to standard) onto the back that would be a lot easier as they seem to be readily available.

...but:

a) would it be possible & safe?

b) would it look terrible (bulging outwards etc)?

Any insight would be appreciated!

Not pushing it at all...depends on the brand of tyre.

Toyo specifes that their Proxes 275s will fit on a 9inch rim. You just need to do the homework.

I just put a couple of pirelli P ZEROs 285/30/18 on the back of my GTS-T, which is on a 9" rim.

Okay then, similar question...Does anyone know the maximum tyre width that will fit onto an 18x8" rim?

I'm presently running 235/40 R18 on 350Z Track rims, but would like to go a bit wider on the rear next time around...

245's would seem logical as the Z already comes with these - but the problem is that to get the correct rolling diameter for an R33 I'd have to get 245/35 R18s (-0.5% different diameter to standard)....a bit of an unusual size apparently...the only tyre manufacturer online I could find that lists them at a semi-reasonable price is Kumho with their KU19 (I had bad experiences in the past with these too)

...Now if I could squeeze a set of 255/35 R18s (+0.60% different diameter to standard) onto the back that would be a lot easier as they seem to be readily available.

...but:

a) would it be possible & safe?

b) would it look terrible (bulging outwards etc)?

Any insight would be appreciated!

A 255 would fit easy. might come out a touch good protection for ur rims lol.