SAU Community

Best Air Filter

http://www.mkiv.com/techarticles/filters_t...st/1/index.html

Regarding air filters. There's always going to be differences of opinion on who make good/bad filters. Nevertheless, I think most people would agree that K&N and Apex make very good filters.

it all depends on what you want - more power/greater air flow comes at a price - poor filtration. If you read the article you'll see that there is a big difference in how well the various filters actually filter...:(

OK, for a lot of people, a filter with really poor filtration (mainly foam filters) that is likely to lead to premature engine wear, don't care since they probably wont own the car for that long.

Me personally - my car had a Trust Airinx foam induction kit. It sounded great and probably gave me a little more power. but, holding the foam element up to the light and you could clearly see through it - the holes were measurable:( so you can imagine how much crap that it must be letting into the engine...

i've since replaced the Airinx with the factory original airbox. OK, maybe it doesn't sound as good, but as to the power loss - well, with the induction system my engine was breathing in loads of under-bonnet warm air, so that's debatable...

Cheers

Dave

Here's my experience with airfilters....

I bought a Rush O2 pod, which can flow more that almost all (or I think it is all) of the jap filters. The only difference I noticed was top end, it was less restrictive than the standard ryco paper filter....

I then put the factory airbox back in, and slapped in a K&N panel filter, and I have noticed no difference between it and the pod. You dont need a pod, a K&N panel is just fine. I dont personally have numbers to back me up, but if I cant feel ANY diffence, then whats the point...

Biggest difference I have ever noticed was replacing the standard paper filter with a K&N paper filter, again though, its only high end, and marginal at best.

From what I understand, adding a second cold air intake (say from the front bar) has more effect, but requires drilling a large hole in the line, so I havent done it yet.

check this out for more info

http://www.autospeed.com/cms/article.html?&A=0009

• 2 weeks later...

the only mods ive done is POD filter, Cold air induction, Cat back exhaust to lukey muffler. im unsure if the clutch is aftermarket but ive done so many drops and its only ever slipped once, its bloody strong. i was averageing 8.2-8.5 and then i did one nice run of 7.26, last time i tried i got 7.69 but im taking it easy now :)

Btw was heavily loaded with SUb and spare in the back im looking forward to faster times hehe

i going for the panel filter,some one has dyno graphs of its effect in another post (r33 power in stock i think??)

Panel doesnt attract unwanted attention either.

My mecahnic told me POD filters are perfectly legal, i hope they are lol, i just sold my K&N panel filter on ebay, it only did a few kilometers on it, but i realised the airbox had a ceratin vacuum spot, cos one part of the filter was so dirty and the other was so clean. My POD sits in the front bar gettin totally fresh air.