SAU Community

Red Light Camera...

Modena

I think I got flashed last night in St Kilda rd by a fixed red light camera... really sucks as I am SURE I was running the light as it was amber!! Ive never had a fine for running a traffic light in all of my 8 year driving history and this thing was sus! Heck the last time I got done for speeding was back on my P plates over 6 years ago!!

ANyway do you lose 3 demerit points for running the red light? Also how much is the fine?

Im gonna appeal/fight this fine no matter what!

You'll loose.

Amber = prepare to stop. Not accelerate and try get passed it, lookup what the amber is defined as and what your meant to do...

You havent got a leg to stand on :)

Pay the fine (around $250 i think) and get on with it.

I was already passing through the traffic light as it was turning amber! Even if I slammed the brakes I would of ended up in the middle of the interscation!

ive heard of people beating red traffic light fines, most dont do anything about it and just pay the fine. 250 bucks? whatta jib!

You'll loose.

Amber = prepare to stop. Not accelerate and try get passed it, lookup what the amber is defined as and what your meant to do...

You havent got a leg to stand on :)

Pay the fine (around $250 i think) and get on with it.

Agree with Ash here. Traffic lights have all loop holes I know covered except for trucks on their length.

E.g

Dont enter intersection if unclear on the other side

You should be able to stop if it turns amber by adjusting your speed on the approach

Amber doesnt mean boot it (even though we have all done it)

Not having a go at you but unlike speeding where things can be contested, I dont know of any with traffic lights. Are you sure it wasnt a car near you that triggered it?

We get loads for work for trucks that go through on green but get pinged on the red due to the length. Our driver employer at work gets most of the trucks out of the fines and points as they are green on entry to the intersection.

Ill appeal as I did not enter the intersaction when the lights were red. Cheers for the tips.

If you get a fine in the mail, first thing to do is to go to the camera enforcment office (or whatever it's called these days) and see the photograph(s). That will tell the story.

There should be two flashes, the first being when you cross the first line AFTER the light turns red and the second being for crossing the second line. I have a family friend who is a taxi driver and whenever he runs the first line on red he just turns right and avoids the second flash.

If you tried to beat the light, you may have been done for speeding and not running the red :(.

Ask for a photo (you'll have to pay for it) make sure they don't tamper with the pic by giving you a zoomed in pic of your number plate only. The photo will show what colour the lights were.

Yeah you wont get a fine if you entered on the amber. They also give slight tolerance (delay) once it changes to red as well.

They take two photos, one of you crossing the line with the red light, and another showing that you proceeded through the intersection. If the second one shows that you stopped and reversed back, you dont get a fine.

So in conclusion, you shouldn't get a red light fine.

You might have a speeding fine coming if you were speeding at the time though...

If it was the camera near the end of St Kilda Rd I would fight it.

I have driven past that spot a number of times and that camera goes off with nothing around.

Seriously, I was driving up to it and it flashed twice and I was like WTF? There was NOTHING to take a photo of.

Good luck

Edited by x2shy

Is it was the camera near the end of St Kilda Rd I would fight it.

I have drive past that spot a number of times and that camera goes off with nothing around.

Seriously, I was driving up to it and it flashed twice and I was like WTF? There was NOTHING to take a photo of.

Good luck

Hah... why am I not surprised? :)

It was the camera which points into the inner (from what I gathered) lane of St Kilda Rd. This is very close to the entrance into Fitzroy St so yeah right towards the end of St Kilda rd.

Seriously I never ran a red light arghh! I dont do stupid shit like that. I didnt even plant my foot as I saw I was entering the amber light and had enough pace to get out while the traffic lights were amber.

I am fighting this thing as soon as it comes in. If I did run a red light Id own up.

Cheers mate!

to clarify. when i designed the logic in the early setups if it was amber you would be ok. The idea is that they are fixed red-light speed so if you speed up and went over the limit to make the lightst you will be flashed also and possible get both a red light and speeding fine.

however doesn't mean its always perfect - after all I'm not working or helping these companies anymore :blush:

with all new fines that come in the mail by law now it must have a photo of the license plate clear , and also a zoomed out version showing the full car ..but like all things they can tamper with the pics, just hope it doesnt turn up

the fixed camera on the last intersection on st kilda rd outbound just before entering princess hwy is a redlight and speed camera. if you didn't run the red, you probably got snapped for speeding over 60km/h :(

Hmm cant recall I was speeding. Anyway as others have said, lets wait and see. I may be back... :P

I was travelling down St Kilda rd on Saturday & saw the driver in front of me get flashed at the same intersection, the lights had just turned amber as she entered the intersection. I thought maybe a faulty camera until I read GTTR34's post.

Just hang in there for the time being.

One newly installed at Bay Road next to Southland on Nepean Hwy, flashed a couple of times at the car in front of me this morning while the lights were on green. I even went through on green. It looks like one of the new speed camera ones. Am wondering if maybe they are set up as a straight fixed speed camera as well although my understanding was it only picked speed up if you booted it through on the amber/red.