SAU Community

R33 Fuel Economy. 300km On 50 Liters

WogsRus

Hi All.

Well ok, so about a month ago i got my r33 with 72 k on the clock.

When the car i got the car, it already had a nice Jap muffler, i got the rest of the system made up, so now it's a full 3" exhaust including dump pipe and high flow catco cat.

The car has a HKS intake with pod, exhaust, boost controller set to 7psi stock cooler, untill the new ones goes on, a walbro GSS342 pump and pressure reg set to stock psi.

When i got the car, soon after it developed a miss in the high rpm range, pulled the plugs out and they looked like crap, so upon recomendations i got a new set of plugs BKR6EYA gapped at .8 mm. I also tryed 1.1 but got a miss and at 1.0 still missed, at .8 it runs fine.

I taped up my coils to be on the safe side, and it all seams good.

HOWEVER, i got an SAFC II, which is untuned for now, untill the intercooler goes in ect, and my economy sux.

I use BP ultimate, as that is all we have in TAS, and i get a mear 300-350 out of 50 liters, town driving, not floging it much or anything. I know it's a bit ritch as the car backfires durning gearchanges ect.

I replaced my O2 sensor with teh NGK item, along with the ECU temp sensor, i have no leaks, idle is fine, haven't cleaned my AAC valve yet, the computer is reset and still nothing more then 350 km.

What is up, i know the skylines run ritch and once the SAFC II is tuned it will be better, but dam, how do people manage to get 400+km out of a tank is beyond me, can somone help me, and give me some pointers as to what to look out for.

BTW, checked the timing and it's 15 deg as per manual, The only think i am thinkg of is that the plugs gapped at .8 might decrease economy?????

NEED some advice on where to go next PLEASE.

Based on:

50L / 300km = 16.6L/100kms

50L / 350km = 14.28L/100kms

average of 15.44L/100kms doesn't sound too bad for a heavy r33

well the fuel tank is 65Litres so if your getting those figures out from 50Litres of petrol you've got another 15Litres in your tank so if you push it you could probably get away with getting 380-400km/hs before your tank is very very low.

my 2cents.

btw i'm averaging 17L/100kms city driving but thats with bigger fuel pump 550cc injectors bigger turbo.

i get an average of 12L to 100kms, and that doesnt seem to bad, i only just got this because i took off my apexi pod filter, the mods i am running is 5 1/2 inch exhaust HSK all the way through spitfire coilpacks, standard aircleaner with paper insert, apexi BOV, 7pound boost.

1996 SII R33 GTS25T

I have a fairly stock R32.

mods

catback

FMIC

boostcontroller set to 14psi

ECU remapped (not fuel map jst timing map)

I get 450km to a full tank (65 litres) and that is flogging it atleast once daily. If my wife drives it all week she will get 500k just.

I can drive to sydney and back on a tank. (about 560k's)

sorry I know this dosen't help. just offering a comparrison.

a poorly tuned ECU, just like a carby - can and will run rich as hell and obliterate fuel economy.

I have ~194kw at rw, with similar mods (i have a PFC tho), and i see 300km/45L (15L/100) only if i thrash the living crap out of it.

Its all in the tune mate.

so lets hope the tune will fix it.

Other then that, can you guys point a finger to anything obvious that can couse higher then normal fuel consumption

nothing that isn't absolutely hilarious (if you're drunk) and incredibly unlikely...

lets say

hole in the petrol tank?

LOL, well last time i checked i was only mildly under the influence. LOL.

Nah fuel system all good, replaced ALL the hoses to new Hi Pressure EFI hoses, so no chance of a leak or anything.

where did you get tese Hi Pressure EFI hoses from? links and prices?

cheers !

Purple Pig, hi Pressure EFI hose about $19 per meter, and about $15 trade price, They have teh standard stuff for about $13. the only differance i saw was there is a lot more weve in the HI pressure one. Very nice hose

• 5 years later...

i get 580 -600k on the open road @100km/h thats on a full tank ...i find u do 110 120 the fuel econ goes to the shit house... remember these are geared for japan not for australia though

my car has 157000ks on it stock as a rock