SAU Community

R32 Gtr Car Pc

ceedub

tell em the price son, tell em the price

If I can find 10 people that are genuinely interested in this unit, I should be able to get them for 240AUD each (includes shipping to Melbourne)

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
I'd be interested in a touch-screen LCD for $240... pending some pics and resolution/technical spec's!

ME 2!!!!! man that looks SHMICK!

like sorry for the noob question:

i dont no any thingt about the ECUTALK software.. so how does it work.... you keep a laptop in the car and are you just running the software from the laptop and av / outing to the screen....

and like so obviously it comes with some sort of unit to wire to all the sensors which plugs into the pc by usb or something...

i am VERY interested in doing this just need the basics answered....haha (now where can i put my headunit if i get one)

ME 2!!!!! man that looks SHMICK!

like sorry for the noob question:

i dont no any thingt about the ECUTALK software.. so how does it work.... you keep a laptop in the car and are you just running the software from the laptop and av / outing to the screen....

and like so obviously it comes with some sort of unit to wire to all the sensors which plugs into the pc by usb or something...

i am VERY interested in doing this just need the basics answered....haha (now where can i put my headunit if i get one)

Yeah, the laptop is hooked via the serial port to a 'consult' device which interfaces with the car. I got the consult device through a group buy via 'Newkleer'. The LCD has a VGA input which connects to the laptop.

I'll post some pics up shortly to show how I set the whole thing up.

Yeah, the laptop is hooked via the serial port to a 'consult' device which interfaces with the car. I got the consult device through a group buy via 'Newkleer'. The LCD has a VGA input which connects to the laptop.

I'll post some pics up shortly to show how I set the whole thing up.

cool can you give me a link to the thread? i have seen the ecutalk lcd sreens by newkleer so thats it and you just put that under the seat to? or you just dont have to buy the lcd screen just the unit with all the sensors which goes into the pc?

yeh info would b nice haha cheers! looks mad

I'm not sure if newkleer is still making thee units - they were different to the LCD unit he has now - best to PM him and find out. Otherwise try these guys http://www.plmsdevelopments.com/consult_if.shtml

Here are some more pics of the install:

post-4014-1164003067.jpgpost-4014-1164003102.jpg RoadRunner frontend for music/video/gps, etc

post-4014-1164003154.jpg post-4014-1164003265.jpg mounted the LCD to a mounting bracket I had from an old GPS unit

post-4014-1164003197.jpg laptop under the seat with consult interface etc.

You can build a fast and reliable computer for this Monitor to function in a car by purchasing a PC box that can be mounted in the boot or under a seat. Micro-atx motherboard, additional external sound card, with a 1gig or 2gigs of ram and a AMD 64 dual core system with a nice budget 3d card should do wonders to get video, audio and the processing speed for your data.

You can get computer boxes totally purpose built for incar use and have a PSU already made for direct connection to your batt.

Edited by SAZilla

Pauly, if you slam a dual core amd into a car your power draw will be something in the range of 400watts, you'll need something in the order of a 300-400watt DC-DC power supply to give it enough juice, and you'll probably flatten your battery if you're not careful. This is the reason why EPIA mainboards or mini-itx are so popular among carpc enthuasiasts.

cool can you give me a link to the thread? i have seen the ecutalk lcd sreens by newkleer so thats it and you just put that under the seat to? or you just dont have to buy the lcd screen just the unit with all the sensors which goes into the pc?

yeh info would b nice haha cheers! looks mad

u dont need the lcd display i make, though it does come with a consult interface (but u cant have both it and consult interface working at same time - have to flick a switch between em). plmsdevelopments.com or blazt.biz will get you a standalone interface for ~110 or so (if u go with plms, ask them price without datascan software, as u can use ecutalk for free).

i might get another batch of consult interfaces done at some stage, but nothing definite (i could probably get assembled ones made for ~70$)

ceedub - try using 12 rather than 16 gauges, will use screen better i think

Edited by NewKleer

I was thinking something in the order of 250 watts max howie, you dont need all that much power to run a computer with an average 3d card... when you start seeing GT or X(insert number here) in 3d cards thats when power draw is higher. a nice 6600 PCI-e will do the job nicely and if you put a conroe instead of a AMD 64 dual in the comp itll run even lower wattage. Conroes (Core 2 Duo) are great on power saving (based on laptop tech).

250 probably wouldn't cut it. There's a power specification chart on mp3car.com which explains why you'd probably brown out at 250 dc.

I know for sure my single core 3500 at home wouldn't boot on 250watts, imagine 250watts in a dc-dc psu.

Edited by Howie

will organise group buy once I have 10 people:

So far registered interest from

1. Howie

2. travb81

3. steveo r33

4. jaypee 23

5. nozila

6. hydie

Once I got 10 I will reconfirm price and work out next steps.

• 2 weeks later...

I need 4 more people interested in a Lliliput screen to organise this group buy.

will organise group buy once I have 10 people:

So far registered interest from

1. Howie

2. travb81

3. steveo r33

4. jaypee 23

5. nozila

6. hydie

Once I got 10 I will reconfirm price and work out next steps.

ceedub,

do you have a dvd/cd drive hooked up to your carputer?

I'm wondering how to mount a dvd drive and this LCD touch screen. Seen some units on mp3car.com which combine the two into a single DIN or a double DIN unit, they seem like a good idea.