SAU Community

Ticking Noise

SilverECR33

Hi guys/girls,

As the topic title, and description states.

Im getting this ticking sound. when my car is idling. i found that its mostly when engine is warming up, but sometimes also while its warmed up. its not a knocking or a taping, its a 'ticking' sound, like a sensor or something, the sound is most hearable from underneth .

a friend of mine say, its from a exhaust leak. from knocking the exhaust on like a speed hump or something, which has created a small leak, which makes a sensor tick like that..? hMMmm?

Now before i spend $$$ getting it all pulled out, i was wondering. if anyone has had or knows of this issue, and the fix for it. and if there was a leak where would it be, and what would be ticking..

Thanks in advance. :)

Dale.

Sounds like lifters to me... what oil viscosity you using? mine does the same... a real light gentle "tick tick tick tick" on idle when cold and so do MANY other RB motors.. its heard right near the rocker cover... its normal

Cheers

Yeah ive got that aswell when cold mostly hear it mostly when you leave the car for a while then turn it on but as soon as you drive the car and its warm it quietens down. so its Lifters need to experiment with different oils until it goes away im still doing this.

I had the same problem.. i was thinkin it was somethin massive gettin all stressed then my AC belt shit it's self and came off.. so yea as mad082 said cheack all your belts befor u start stressin.

Have you looked under the bonnet to see if you had left your watch in there? :)

Or maybe a mad bomber has left his package in there? :P:O

Now seriously, could be your bearing on your timing belt........get it checked.

When is the last time your timing belt was changed?And did they also change the bearings?

This can be a fatal problem(Engine...not you and the Bomb) :)

It can also be your lifters...in this case,don't worry... :ninja:

OK i have neglected my post :wave: busy with work.

OK its not a Tapping. ie. lifters or Other cam related .. its a Ticking. can hear it most from underneith the car. oil i use is Nulon 15-40 High Tech fast flowing. But i find it hard to believe its an oil related issue. though i could be wrong, ive built quite a few engines in my time, but I am new to this Import Scene so my ears are open to all suggestions.

Its weird it sounds like tick, exactly that. like and now it does it warmed up also, its Not loud, u cannot here it when ur cruising along, only really when ur stopped. can hear it most when ur in like an Undercover car park, or next to a wall , so the sound bounces from underneith the car to the wall, My brothers VLT also has a similar ticking sound, and both of us has Bumped our exhausts , but this could just be coinsidence of course.

Have you looked under the bonnet to see if you had left your watch in there? ;)

Or maybe a mad bomber has left his package in there? :wave::)

Now seriously, could be your bearing on your timing belt........get it checked.

When is the last time your timing belt was changed?And did they also change the bearings?

This can be a fatal problem(Engine...not you and the Bomb) :(

It can also be your lifters...in this case,don't worry... :)

The timing belt was just changed about 12k kms ago. apparently they did the bearings also. as it got a 100,000km service before i purchased the car, As i requested from the buyer. although u know u never know for sure what mechanics do unless u watch them, but the noise sounds like its comming from underneith the car, and No its not a Big end Knock or a Tappet TAP. its a Tick tick tick likea bomb .. but i havnt blown up yet ;)

how quick is the ticking?

another thing to check is the belts. make sure they aren't starting to fray.

Belts are perfectly new condition. and the Tick sounds is like tick, tick , tick, tick, 1 tick about half a second. Doesnt matter if i have it in neutral or in gear, when stationary can here it well. from underneith.

Yeah ive got that aswell when cold mostly hear it mostly when you leave the car for a while then turn it on but as soon as you drive the car and its warm it quietens down. so its Lifters need to experiment with different oils until it goes away im still doing this.

what u are hearing is most likely lifter / cam related. and its a TAPing isnt it. not a tick. check ur oils ur ising is correct. if that is ok . You may have worn components, u could fix this buy using slightly thicker oils, or buy replacing those components. and or adjusting them.. im not sure though if they cannot be adjusted. as well.. ive never had a look inside my engine yet :wave:)

Sounds like lifters to me... what oil viscosity you using? mine does the same... a real light gentle "tick tick tick tick" on idle when cold and so do MANY other RB motors.. its heard right near the rocker cover... its normal

Cheers

Yea well it was just doing it on warm up, But now it seems to be doing it hot also. But sometimes after a bit of a thrashing it goes away ?..

Mine only does it first thing in the morning. After letting the car warm up, then quick 5 min drive to work and I can here it after that.

Only time it does it....

Never after a long run or a thrashing.....

never even when it is warming up....

bugs the sh*t outta me!!!! :wave:

also even the slightest revs and it goes away

Edited by Jdfnq

Mine only does it first thing in the morning. After letting the car warm up, then quick 5 min drive to work and I can here it after that.

Only time it does it....

Never after a long run or a thrashing.....

never even when it is warming up....

bugs the sh*t outta me!!!! :dry:

also even the slightest revs and it goes away

yea sounds exactly the same issue im having.

injectors... mine does it too when cold also a little bit of lifter noise

yea my bros vl sounds like the injectors. but mine sounds louder from underneith than up at injectors..

no lifter noise on mine.. hmm

omg this tick tick tick sound is driving me crazy WEeEeeoOOO :dry::P

injectors... mine does it too when cold also a little bit of lifter noise

Does that mean that they are f*kced???

Or is this a normal thing for Skylines to do

I hate to say it but my car does the same thing. Its an intermittent ticking on idle that dissappears around 12-1300 rpm. It absolutely shits me to tears and is not my thrust bearing as it is also making noises. So as long as i keep my foot on the clutch and have the engine 300rpm above idle everything sounds good.