My old Rb30DE

VVT ported head

9.5:1 forged pistons

Tomei Poncams

Kalmaker Engine Management 

Maffless tune, Pod filter

Standard Headers with big free flowing exhaust

130 rwkw

Oil pump failed so just did a rebuild with extras, off for a retune with dyno results in a few weeks.....

• 6 months later...

Back again.

RB25DE Non VCT

Changes since last time,

-Head shaved .030

-Camtech 272°, 9mm lift, 109° lobe seperation

-Valve springs 

-STD lifters

-RB26 intake with ITB's

-3inch exhaust 

Still standard bottom end and head gasket. 

Pretty happy with 141kwatw.

I have a thinner gasket in the shed so once the rings let go it might be time for pistons, rods and a full balance.

Head porting and bigger cams will also be on the agenda.

An RB30 bottom end never will be however, I like RPM too much.

20190605_200519.jpg

20190605_151911(0).jpg

10 hours ago, benecr32 said:

Back again.

RB25DE Non VCT

Changes since last time,

-Head shaved .030

-Camtech 272°, 9mm lift, 109° lobe seperation

-Valve springs 

-STD lifters

-RB26 intake with ITB's

-3inch exhaust 

Still standard bottom end and head gasket. 

Pretty happy with 141kwatw.

I have a thinner gasket in the shed so once the rings let go it might be time for pistons, rods and a full balance.

Head porting and bigger cams will also be on the agenda.

An RB30 bottom end never will be however, I like RPM too much.

20190605_200519.jpg

20190605_151911(0).jpg

How many RPM do you want ? 10 years ago RIPS was running 9000rpm boosted and has had some RB30s fully built at 10,000rpm.

Extra capacity is the easiest way to make more power on an n/a engine

15 hours ago, KiwiRS4T said:

How many RPM do you want ? 10 years ago RIPS was running 9000rpm boosted and has had some RB30s fully built at 10,000rpm.

Extra capacity is the easiest way to make more power on an n/a engine

9k would be fun I reckon. Wound it up to 8500 on the dyno looking for the power curve to drop and it was a screamer.

Unfortunately I can't touch a budget that would support a 9k plus RB30. I can't even afford a dry sump at this stage.

Yes more displacement would be nice, so maybe bigger pistons. But, I dont want longer rods.

In addition to this, I've effectively reduced capacity from shaving the head. Arguably not alot, but that is the case. In doing so it's part of the recipe that pushed the motor to an almost 20% gain in peak power...and still haven't touched the bottom end...or the intake ports.

18 minutes ago, KiwiRS4T said:

9000 rev/min was not dry sumped just well balanced with aftermarket small end bolts and tomei oil pump.

That's, surprising. 

Might work in drag car. Might not in a drift car. Not for long anyway.

If I ever need opinion or advice on setups that are nothing like mine in terms of application or composition, I'll ask you for sure.

Cheers.

• 2 months later...
On 21/11/2018 at 7:44 PM, Scottyd 240z said:

My old Rb30DE

VVT ported head

9.5:1 forged pistons

Tomei Poncams

Kalmaker Engine Management 

Maffless tune, Pod filter

Standard Headers with big free flowing exhaust

130 rwkw

Oil pump failed so just did a rebuild with extras, off for a retune with dyno results in a few weeks.....

So I finished the rebuild in December, which included,

Spool 3.2lt crank

RB26 Ross forged pistons 86.5mm mild down to produce 10.9 - 1 comp.

Standard rods

New water pump, oil pump, timing belt etc.

Arp bolts through out

Ported 25de Head with 256 Tomei pon cams

2.5 inch exhaust with Factory exhaust manifold and inlet

So it made 135kw and 349nm,  yes I was disappointed with the numbers but it drove better with the extra torque and figured it had plenty more in it.

Fast forward 6 months and I had some extractors fabricated and new exhaust system which included 6 into 2 extractors twin pipes to the diff into a 3 inch 

Retuned it made 161kw and 403nm yes much happier now and still has more in it.

Below dyno pic shows red line is new exhaust and  blue old

Yes I know I could have turboed it and got way more power and cheaper, but that’s not what my Zed is about. 

So the next thing to do is the inlet side, 

option 1  rb26 throttle bodies with long trumpets would give it the wow factor and a great sound.

optoin 2 ffp with the biggest throttle body I can find. 

Plazmaman top half would be good so I can keep the standard bottom half for the torque.

Any ideas or different options would be appreciated.

076B488F-595A-4752-950F-8294E00193F0.jpeg

F14DDB92-F52A-4B34-AB9C-4228B53E94EF.jpeg

Edited by Scottyd 240z

• 2 months later...
On 02/09/2019 at 2:36 PM, Scottyd 240z said:

Spool 3.2lt crank

RB26 Ross forged pistons 86.5mm mild down to produce 10.9 - 1 comp.

Standard rods

New water pump, oil pump, timing belt etc.

Arp bolts through out

Ported 25de Head with 256 Tomei pon cams

2.5 inch exhaust with Factory exhaust manifold and inlet

So it made 135kw and 349nm,  yes I was disappointed with the numbers but it drove better with the extra torque and figured it had plenty more in it.

Fast forward 6 months and I had some extractors fabricated and new exhaust system which included 6 into 2 extractors twin pipes to the diff into a 3 inch 

Retuned it made 161kw and 403nm yes much happier now and still has more in it.

Below dyno pic shows red line is new exhaust and  blue old

Yes I know I could have turboed it and got way more power and cheaper, but that’s not what my Zed is about. 

So the next thing to do is the inlet side, 

optoin 2 ffp with the biggest throttle body I can find. 

Plazmaman top half would be good so I can keep the standard bottom half for the torque.

Any ideas or different options would be appreciated.

076B488F-595A-4752-950F-8294E00193F0.jpeg

Just happened to roll in here and find this, I like it!   

My 2c, I'm not 100% sure how it would pan out in reality as there is so little info out there on it - but I would be inclined to put a GReddy intake manifold on it.   

It may cost a LITTLE low down torque, but it is very unlikely to be a problem if tuned properly afterwards - it won't be enough to offset the gains you've had in other areas and still be torquier than it had been previously and more importantly... you want to make more power, with an NA car you don't have the benefit of boost etc so stretching the torque curve further up the rpm is a massive necessity if you want to increase your powerband and make bigger numbers.

I think there is a really good chance that getting the likes of the GReddy plenum on there, which is a unit known to pull the torque up the range a bit - would give you a more rewarding power delivery and generally open it's lungs up a bit.  The cams won't be able to do their best work with the stock plenum sitting on there imho.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Mr Lith,  Thanks for the feedback.

I recently bought a cheap second hand fabricated ff Plenum with standard bottom half manifold the plan was to fit the plenum for now to see how it responds with the shorter intake pipe and later use the bottom half to modify and fit Rb26 itbs.

The GReddy plenum is also an option and I will do some research.

8EFFB3F9-D397-42F8-A2E0-A6168D870E76.jpeg

Nice build Scotty. Is that still the standard throttlebody?

If you do go with a Greddy make sure it's genuine, those copy's are terrible quality and cause all sorts of issues, inside they're rough and for atmo I feel like the cylinders aren't going to scavenge equally. Personally I like the idea of a Plazmaman top with a larger throttle body, they look nice, it will shorten the runners a bit, adds some internal trumpets which will keep the length even and airflow distributed, will hopefully boost the mid-range a bit. You could also smooth and polish up the inside of the stock runners.

With that increase in airflow from capacity, compression and cam overlap I reckon the best thing you can do is chuck on a bigger throttle.

Yes it is the standard throttle body, I was considering getting a Nissan Q45 as I’m not sure about the 80mm eBay ones.

At this stage it would be easier to get a larger tb and a retune and look into the itbs later.

I do like the look of the Plazmaman ffp and being able to keep the long runners for the torque 

Thanks for your input.

• 2 years later...

So in August this year I finished fabricating and fitting the ITBs ( I have no trade background so don’t expect much and you won’t be disappointed ) had it tuned but it was getting to hot to get a final hp number. It is quicker, sounds great, and looks 👍

E897B1C2-525B-465C-AA0E-EB8224E85E8A.png

27BA39D8-6A83-4227-B943-D9394B4D6AD6.png

Edited by Scottyd 240z
  • Like 4

On 22/12/2021 at 5:27 PM, Scottyd 240z said:

So in August this year I finished fabricating and fitting the ITBs ( I have no trade background so don’t expect much and you won’t be disappointed ) had it tuned but it was getting to hot to get a final hp number. It is quicker, sounds great, and looks 👍

IMG_2571.MOV

This is rad. Really tidy, well done. 

• 1 year later...
On 22/12/2021 at 6:27 PM, Scottyd 240z said:

Ok.  6 months ago I put it on the Dyno for a check up and then add some new coils and make a few changes. It made about 150kw and 350nm, I did say earlier it felt quicker, sounded and looked better with he ITBs, well 2 out of 3 ain’t bad.

So I made the decision to go back to the factory intake.

Who would have thought some Highly paid and educated Japanese engineers would know more than some old Aussie rev head.

Back to the dyno after the intake change And, 165kw, 405nm yeah more kw but that extra 50 odd nm down low is the game changer, it’s so much smoother and better to drive. 
So as most of the experienced SAU folk will know the factory intake is hard to beat unless your making huge power.

C00F52A5-2B5B-493C-AB78-9B8FCFC9B140.jpeg

Edited by Scottyd 240z
  • Like 5