Jump to content
  • Welcome to SAU Community

    Welcome to SAU Community, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of SAU Community by signing in or creating an account.

    • Start new topics and reply to others
    • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
    • Get your own profile page, build reputation and make new friends
    • Send personal messages to other members.
    • See fewer ads!

    Consider joining our newsletter for the latest content updates

    Click here to register


beersandwich

Na Power Results - All N/a Engines

Recommended Posts

My old Rb30DE

VVT ported head

9.5:1 forged pistons

Tomei Poncams

Kalmaker Engine Management 

Maffless tune, Pod filter

Standard Headers with big free flowing exhaust

130 rwkw

Oil pump failed so just did a rebuild with extras, off for a retune with dyno results in a few weeks.....

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Back again.

RB25DE Non VCT

Changes since last time,

-Head shaved .030

-Camtech 272°, 9mm lift, 109° lobe seperation

-Valve springs 

-STD lifters

-RB26 intake with ITB's

-3inch exhaust 

Still standard bottom end and head gasket. 

Pretty happy with 141kwatw.

I have a thinner gasket in the shed so once the rings let go it might be time for pistons, rods and a full balance.

Head porting and bigger cams will also be on the agenda.

An RB30 bottom end never will be however, I like RPM too much.

20190605_200519.jpg

20190605_151911(0).jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, benecr32 said:

Back again.

RB25DE Non VCT

Changes since last time,

-Head shaved .030

-Camtech 272°, 9mm lift, 109° lobe seperation

-Valve springs 

-STD lifters

-RB26 intake with ITB's

-3inch exhaust 

Still standard bottom end and head gasket. 

Pretty happy with 141kwatw.

I have a thinner gasket in the shed so once the rings let go it might be time for pistons, rods and a full balance.

Head porting and bigger cams will also be on the agenda.

An RB30 bottom end never will be however, I like RPM too much.

20190605_200519.jpg

20190605_151911(0).jpg

How many RPM do you want ? 10 years ago RIPS was running 9000rpm boosted and has had some RB30s fully built at 10,000rpm.

Extra capacity is the easiest way to make more power on an n/a engine

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, KiwiRS4T said:

How many RPM do you want ? 10 years ago RIPS was running 9000rpm boosted and has had some RB30s fully built at 10,000rpm.

Extra capacity is the easiest way to make more power on an n/a engine

9k would be fun I reckon. Wound it up to 8500 on the dyno looking for the power curve to drop and it was a screamer.

Unfortunately I can't touch a budget that would support a 9k plus RB30. I can't even afford a dry sump at this stage.

Yes more displacement would be nice, so maybe bigger pistons. But, I dont want longer rods.

In addition to this, I've effectively reduced capacity from shaving the head. Arguably not alot, but that is the case. In doing so it's part of the recipe that pushed the motor to an almost 20% gain in peak power...and still haven't touched the bottom end...or the intake ports.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

9000 rev/min was not dry sumped just well balanced with aftermarket small end bolts and tomei oil pump.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, KiwiRS4T said:

9000 rev/min was not dry sumped just well balanced with aftermarket small end bolts and tomei oil pump.

That's, surprising. 

Might work in drag car. Might not in a drift car. Not for long anyway.

If I ever need opinion or advice on setups that are nothing like mine in terms of application or composition, I'll ask you for sure.

Cheers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 21/11/2018 at 7:44 PM, Scottyd 240z said:

My old Rb30DE

VVT ported head

9.5:1 forged pistons

Tomei Poncams

Kalmaker Engine Management 

Maffless tune, Pod filter

Standard Headers with big free flowing exhaust

130 rwkw

Oil pump failed so just did a rebuild with extras, off for a retune with dyno results in a few weeks.....

 

So I finished the rebuild in December, which included,

Spool 3.2lt crank

RB26 Ross forged pistons 86.5mm mild down to produce 10.9 - 1 comp.

Standard rods

New water pump, oil pump, timing belt etc.

Arp bolts through out

Ported 25de Head with 256 Tomei pon cams

2.5 inch exhaust with Factory exhaust manifold and inlet

So it made 135kw and 349nm,  yes I was disappointed with the numbers but it drove better with the extra torque and figured it had plenty more in it.

Fast forward 6 months and I had some extractors fabricated and new exhaust system which included 6 into 2 extractors twin pipes to the diff into a 3 inch 

Retuned it made 161kw and 403nm yes much happier now and still has more in it.

Below dyno pic shows red line is new exhaust and  blue old

Yes I know I could have turboed it and got way more power and cheaper, but that’s not what my Zed is about. 

So the next thing to do is the inlet side, 

option 1  rb26 throttle bodies with long trumpets would give it the wow factor and a great sound.

optoin 2 ffp with the biggest throttle body I can find. 

Plazmaman top half would be good so I can keep the standard bottom half for the torque.

Any ideas or different options would be appreciated.

 

 

 

 

076B488F-595A-4752-950F-8294E00193F0.jpeg

F14DDB92-F52A-4B34-AB9C-4228B53E94EF.jpeg

Edited by Scottyd 240z

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 02/09/2019 at 2:36 PM, Scottyd 240z said:

Spool 3.2lt crank

RB26 Ross forged pistons 86.5mm mild down to produce 10.9 - 1 comp.

Standard rods

New water pump, oil pump, timing belt etc.

Arp bolts through out

Ported 25de Head with 256 Tomei pon cams

2.5 inch exhaust with Factory exhaust manifold and inlet

So it made 135kw and 349nm,  yes I was disappointed with the numbers but it drove better with the extra torque and figured it had plenty more in it.

Fast forward 6 months and I had some extractors fabricated and new exhaust system which included 6 into 2 extractors twin pipes to the diff into a 3 inch 

Retuned it made 161kw and 403nm yes much happier now and still has more in it.

Below dyno pic shows red line is new exhaust and  blue old

Yes I know I could have turboed it and got way more power and cheaper, but that’s not what my Zed is about. 

So the next thing to do is the inlet side, 

optoin 2 ffp with the biggest throttle body I can find. 

Plazmaman top half would be good so I can keep the standard bottom half for the torque.

Any ideas or different options would be appreciated.

 

076B488F-595A-4752-950F-8294E00193F0.jpeg

 

Just happened to roll in here and find this, I like it!   

My 2c, I'm not 100% sure how it would pan out in reality as there is so little info out there on it - but I would be inclined to put a GReddy intake manifold on it.   

It may cost a LITTLE low down torque, but it is very unlikely to be a problem if tuned properly afterwards - it won't be enough to offset the gains you've had in other areas and still be torquier than it had been previously and more importantly... you want to make more power, with an NA car you don't have the benefit of boost etc so stretching the torque curve further up the rpm is a massive necessity if you want to increase your powerband and make bigger numbers.

I think there is a really good chance that getting the likes of the GReddy plenum on there, which is a unit known to pull the torque up the range a bit - would give you a more rewarding power delivery and generally open it's lungs up a bit.  The cams won't be able to do their best work with the stock plenum sitting on there imho.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...