SAU Community

Clutch Problems?

I have an extreme gtr extra extra heavy duty cermaic 1500kg clutch kit on my gts4 with an rb25/30 engine, i have noticed quite a few times on launching at 4,000rpm that the peddle seems to bite as it is fully engaged i.e wen the peddle is pushed all the way to the floor and following this makes a grinding noise when taking off in first gear and letting out whilst changing into second gear, now this noise tends to go away with about 2min of driving. Its like the clutch is ripping chucks out of the flywheel or the flywheel chucks out of the ceramic clutch?I have around 200rwkw at the moment just running stock boost, now tonight i launched her at 4,000rpm and she got stuck in first gear, the clutch wouldnt engage at all, infact i was straight changing which was very hard, had to start with the car turned off in first gear and try changing gears, then it fixed up what the hell is going on i have only done 6,000km with this clutch and it is nothing but a worry waiting to happen has anyone else experienced these problems??

stick your head under the bonnet and check that when the clutch pedal is pushed the slave cylinder is pushing the clutch fork, it is on the drivers side, i think, attached to the gearbox. This does not at all sound like a problem with the clutch assembly itself but more to do with the hydraulics that operate it.

If you have to turn the car off to get it into gear then the clutch is not releasing.

The only other thing I could think of is that one of the damper springs in the disc has come out and is preventing the pressure plate from unclamping the clutch disc.

mattymagoo22 is on the ball.. I don't think it's been adjusted correctly to release properly, so re-bleed the clutch and try again.

You may also have a stuffed slave cylinder, or master cylinder, or clutch fluid leak so investigate all of these.

If the clutch was never installed or adjusted correctly, the clutch won't last too long at all.

I have a Xstreme solid-centre extra heavy duty 6 puck on my r33 gtst, and its fine.

The peddle feels almost standard with no slippage at all and ive got 220rwkw.

Have had this clutch for over a year.

My brothers GTR had the same problem as you using a $2000 full face exedy clutch.

Found out that the flywheel wasnt machined properly.

mine had been slipping after only 6 months, ended up having to cut about 5mm of the pin between the slave and fork as it wasnt releasing the clutch fully. ok now

got an extreme cushion button in my r33 gtst, it doesnt shudder at all, hell doesnt even feel like its biting properly. The workshop who installed it, said "better than exedy" also "this will never let you down, race it all you want" so i did, feels like a pussy now.. soft..

• Haha 1

I went down to Xtreme the other day and had a technician look and drive my car, the clutch doesnt slip there is no problem there, he says the problem is because of the 1500kg pressure plate clamp load it squashes the clutch plate onto the flywheel, which leaves pieces of the cermaic plates imbedded in the flywheel. Apparently this happens with most of the drift cars and all they do is make sure they cool down the clutch by not stopping after giving it lots of stick and changing gears, well thats what he said anyway, not that i gave mine any stick before that happened so that doesnt make sense to me. All i know is i paid for a good clutch that i can't even use, how can i launch my car with a problem like this and if i dont it defeats the purpose of me having 4wd anyway... Xtreme have to use such a heavy pressure plate (1500kg) as they only use a single plate where as the nismo and other clutches use a twin plate and dont require such a heavy pressure plate say (1000kg) and so they dont have the issues, well thats wat i was told!

i give my clutch heaps of sh!t, i was told i can race all i want and drift all i wont and i wont have probs, and it doesnt feel like it bites as hard, i used to haveto ride it out to start going, not its just normal like my mum vectra....

what do you guys think about the cushion button from exedy.. the ones that kudos motorsports sell? also what about the exedy race clutch carbon? any good?

• 1 month later...

I might (chances are) drop a cheap auto in it for a little, just for something different.

AM-Performance... Grab a decent flywheel, the stock 'soft' flywheels + ceramic button clutches don't play all that nice together.

I have had my Extreme clutch for 4 years this January!

The differance with mine, I got a cromoly flywheel machined up and installed with it. I am sure this is the differance, as its lasted almost 100,000kms so far, and still feels pretty good!

I was told when I got it, from a very reliable source (former owner of RPM here in SA), that the standard flywheels are not up to scratch for use with a ceramic type clutch.

At the time, I thought it was bullshit to get another $350 out of me, but now I believe him. Being new, it was completley flat and true, giving the clutch its best chance of surviving.

Been through at least a dozen sets of tyres, including a set of semi's, 2 drag meets, 3 track days.

Will be getting another when mine wears out

In all my Cars Ive used the ACS Xtreme clutches.

9 Puck Cushioned Button Plate.

I cant reccomend them any more, they are a great value clutch and take an absolute hiding. I do a fair bit of Drifting and I dont think any other sort of motorsport is more harsh on Clutches!!

I was told when I got it, from a very reliable source (former owner of RPM here in SA), that the standard flywheels are not up to scratch for use with a ceramic type clutch.

At the time, I thought it was bullshit to get another $350 out of me, but now I believe him. Being new, it was completley flat and true, giving the clutch its best chance of surviving.

Exactly what Tim told me also. He said the ceramic clutches wear a deep groove in to the std flywheels and cause premature failure.

I picked my clutch up without exchange for $600. Bargain. Its a pitty they go for a couple hundred more and Tim no longer owns horsepowerinabox. :laugh:

I'm sure he's enjoying himself on his new endeavours. :P

A good flywheel with a ceramic clutch really is a must.

I got the same as you Joel but with a nismo molly flywheel. I found it does'nt bite as hard with the molly, unlike the stock one.

After about 3yrs, 1 gearbox and god knows how many second gear drops the clutch diaphragm cracked after pressing the clutch on a cold morning :laugh:

I love this clutch!

Edited by R31 POWER

Awesome.. I think I will go another but throw on a molly flywheel.

Slightly less bite may be a good thing for the street. I find taking off slowly or reversing the rear wheels more often than note chirp as the clutch has 3 quick hard grabs.

What pressure plate did you go? I'm considering the 800kg as the 1050kg gives me the shiets in traffic. :D

All though I've got used to it.. My left leg looks bigger than my right.