SAU Community

Clutch Problems?

Well, spoke to soon!

My clutch is now due for repalcement, its starting to slip after about 4k rpm

Not bad, almost 4 years to the day since it went it, and close to 90,000kms of city driving :wave:

Getting another one

I have an Extreme 6 Puck clutch for my GTR (Although not yet Fitted)

I dont envisage any problems with it, I have ran Brass buttons in my last 4 (FJ20T, SR20DET, RB30ET) Performance cars and have not had one fail yet, a lot of the problems you here about are due to the way the Car / Clutch is driven.

Edited by PSI_GTSII

I've always been very on and off with the clutch, never riding it.

It seems there's a common trend, the clutch doest last long when paired with the std flywheel. A nice molly or extreme flywheel and they last 2 x the distance.

yeah, I've got the 9puk ceramic cushion doova on mine with a different flywheel that was machined before it went in.. it's as light to drive as my pulsar.. doesn't have hell bite though, but it doesn't quite slip either.

cubes: call xtreme direct and ask for a supplier, you should save a couple of hundred less than horsepower in a box :laugh: well I did for the distributor here anyhow.

yeah, I've got the 9puk ceramic cushion doova on mine with a different flywheel that was machined before it went in.. it's as light to drive as my pulsar.. doesn't have hell bite though, but it doesn't quite slip either.

cubes: call xtreme direct and ask for a supplier, you should save a couple of hundred less than horsepower in a box :laugh: well I did for the distributor here anyhow.

thanks..

Now I need another flywheel.. You selling yours? lol

Let us know how chewed the molly flywheel is and if its machineable. :P

Well all done..........

Cromoly Flywheel needed a very light skim, but for almost 100k it was in great nick. The pressure plate had copped a bit of wear, some groves on that.

Got the 6 puck Extreme, 50% more clamp pressure

Feels quite bitey to drive, but I don't mind that. Not much more than the one I had before.

Shaun reckons the Extreme cushioned 9 puck jobs tend the overheat the friction material, leading to early slippage. The 6 puck friction setup takes longer to heat, and longer to fail, so he went with one of those for my car.

Being a CroMo flywheel too, I think its a little less savage than the same clutch on the stock f/wheel

So there you go Cubes, I reckon that will be the go for you, with a RB30/manual setup anyhow

Fingers crossed i get another 4 years out of this one :O 4 years to the DAY that I had it replaced last time!

Yerp the extreme one i had in the car when i got it had burnt the std flwheel a little, and no doubt would have led to some slippage.

Good idea on the replacement with that clutch.

Now ive been using the OS twin for a while, i doubt ill ever go back. Its softer than the ceramic, and soo much nicer to drive.

I dont think Cubes will need a new clutch soon, just a nice shift kit for an auto :):ninja:

I had a xtreme cerametalic whatever with 860kg pressure plat with stock SR flywheel - no problem. Had it well machined though.

I'm just wondering if it's possible that the gearbox has shat itself? Put in new clutch, grippy grippy, dump a few and kill an already dying gearbox?

With a 1500kg pressure plate wouldn't there be a lot of flex in the firewall? Maybe the slave etc isn't lining up nicely??

a mate of mine is running an exedy brass button 5 puck clutch in his r33, he uses it for drifting and NEVER NOT ONCE have i seen him not thrash that thing. 5 years later its starting to slip.

The key with these clutches -

Good flywheel - cromoly seems to work well

Don't ride them too much - more you slip them the quicker they wear

almost 100k of city driving, it seemed to work well with me!