SAU Community

The All New Bmw 3 Series Coupe...

Xander

Hey Guys,

I was bored as at work so I thought I would look into the new BMW 3 Series Coupe :sorcerer: . I caught something on the TV the other night about the engine being a first of its kind or some rubbish :wave: ...maybe for BMW, but not the Australian car market.

Reading the information published on http://www.bmw.com.au/, it states ' ...the first straight-six complete with a twin turbocharger, high-precision fuel injection, and an all-aluminium crankcase.' It produces 225 kws from a twin turbo 3 litre six, which is pretty good and comes with a 6 speed manual or automatic.

As nice as this is, I would still have an R34 GTR, Series 8 RX7 or Twin Turbo Supra over one of these, but hey it looks good. I think the only BMW I would buy, would be the M5/ M6, if I was to buy a BMW.

What are your comments? Would you give up your Skyline or whatever you drive for a BMW 3 Series Coupe? And if you had to buy a BMW what would it be and why?

Depends what your into really. The jap cars you metioned are purpose built sports cars, the BMW would be more of a luxury car that hammers... persoanlly i would take a 34GTR over the Beamer, but the TT supra is also pretty temping

But if was to get any beamer it would have to be a 6 series coupe

6series_coupe.jpg

:wave:

I think you'd find that a new 335 Ci coupe would do everything a series 8 rx7 or Twin Turbo supra would do only a lot better.

I drove my r34 around mallala and a guy there had a 325 Ci with sports suspension and it handled better than my stock r34 hands down. It was smoother, better balanced, held it's line better, absorb bumps much better, etc, etc.

And your getting a car whose engineering was finalised probably some time last year were as supra's were done in 1992 or so.

Cars have come a long way since then. Espically in the suspension department.

And BMW has always made sweet sounding straight 6's with factory exhausts so i imagine the new ones will sound horn.

Hey Guys,

I was bored as at work so I thought I would look into the new BMW 3 Series Coupe :sorcerer: . I caught something on the TV the other night about the engine being a first of its kind or some rubbish :wave: ...maybe for BMW, but not the Australian car market.

Reading the information published on http://www.bmw.com.au/, it states ' ...the first straight-six complete with a twin turbocharger, high-precision fuel injection, and an all-aluminium crankcase.' It produces 225 kws from a twin turbo 3 litre six, which is pretty good and comes with a 6 speed manual or automatic.

As nice as this is, I would still have an R34 GTR, Series 8 RX7 or Twin Turbo Supra over one of these, but hey it looks good. I think the only BMW I would buy, would be the M5/ M6, if I was to buy a BMW.

What are your comments? Would you give up your Skyline or whatever you drive for a BMW 3 Series Coupe? And if you had to buy a BMW what would it be and why?

Whats your point? You can always get something else...

BMW appeals to a different market... I dont think a guy in his 40s will want to hoon around his wife in a GTR... hes after more class and refinement.

Whats your point? You can always get something else...

BMW appeals to a different market... I dont think a guy in his 40s will want to hoon around his wife in a GTR... hes after more class and refinement.

thats not his point... obviously it aimed at that market, hence his question:

"Would --> you <-- give up your Skyline or whatever you drive for a BMW 3 Series Coupe?"

:wave:

Edited by ctjet

thats not his point... obviously it aimed at that market, hence his question:

"Would --> you <-- give up your Skyline or whatever you drive for a BMW 3 Series Coupe?"

:thumbsup:

Seeing my current financial situation one might consider himself not only unfit to buy a NEW BMW but have a hard time paying for a happy meal :no:

Seeing my current financial situation one might consider himself not only unfit to buy a NEW BMW but have a hard time paying for a happy meal :thumbsup:

The initial question was not intended to include your current financial situation. It was just thown out there to see if you were to buy a BMW what would it be?

I know BMW's are designed for a specific market. They are designed for people who want a nice comfortable street car that can perform when they need/ want it to. For instance my Dad, who is a rev head and has owned many hot performance cars, chose to buy a Lexus IS200, not because it was fast, but because it was comfortable. Again its a nice car, performance is not bad given it's an NA 2 litre six, but its smooth as, much smoother than my Skyline. I would still have the Skyline over the Lexus.

I guess one day when I have grown up (still waiting and I'm 25) I will want to get something like a BMW over an R34 GTR. but until that day I'll stick with my Skylines.

Hey Guys,

I was bored as at work so I thought I would look into the new BMW 3 Series Coupe :sorcerer: . I caught something on the TV the other night about the engine being a first of its kind or some rubbish :thumbsup: ...maybe for BMW, but not the Australian car market.

Yes, I would give up my stock standard 17 year old R32 skyline GTS-T that cost me less than $10k for a brand new $100k+ twin turbo 335i. This decision would not be a hard one.

As far as BMW's that I would buy (provided I had the money), pretty much any small/medium car (1 series, 3 series, Z series, etc) with a 3.0 litre engine or larger would be considered, or any large car (5 series, 6 series, 7 series, 8 series, X series, etc) with a 3.5 litre engine or larger. The most desirable of all would be any of the following:

M1

2002 turbo

CSL "Batmobile"

E30 M3

E46 M3 CSL

Any M5 or M6

Z8

Dunno if these count...

Rolls Royce Phantom

Mini Cooper S

ha! you know what... i didnt even notice it!!!

im blaming it on the doors and rims...

Loose the wing and I would consider selling my left testicle for that car... but not the right one :thumbsup: .

i'd be selling my right one for some of the cars HERE... :no:

I'd take one of the 2005 Lamborghini Murcielago and 2006 Mitsubishi Eclipse!! :thumbsup: !! I love the orange, god I wish they imported the Eclipse to Australia.