SAU Community

Dual High Beam

GTS 33

• 2 weeks later...

nope. not that i know. try pm'ing some of the peeps from the first few posts and see if they still have them. wouldnt mind seeing the OG pics myself. so if u do get them put them back up but use SAU's pict gallery as the host destination for the photo's u get. that way the photos will never be lost.

• 1 month later...

I just tried this mod but only wanted to use one relay as I didn't see the point in using two. I used the right hand side high beam as my 'switch wire' to bring in the coil with the other side of the coil to earth and now I just blow the fuse as soon as I switch onto high beam. Does anyone have any idea why?

Guest Sinon

Hay all.

I found the ezyest way to rig up the headlights on r32.

took me the whole of about 15 min.

1. Remove the plastic suround from the steering colum, taking off all 4 pieces give you a bit more room to work.

2. remove the indicator switch completly.

3. Now holding the plug with the 3 small pins to the left/2 Big pins to the right.

You'll find their are 6 wire's in the center rows(2 lots of 3)

4.Simply bridge the bottom wire's with the one's directly above them.

Sorry but I can't remember the colour of the wire's. what I do know is.

The r32 lights work on supplying a earth signal to activate the lights.

They have left and right signal hence the 6 wire's.

2 bottom wire's are earth signal into switch.

2 middle wire's are low beam.

2 top wire's are hi beam.

....I cheated by simply putting some copper wire between the teminals on the inside of the plug. I know this sound's a bit dodgy but remember it's only a earth signal to a relay.

I used the lights for approx 1 hr last night and it was all sweet.

• 4 months later...
Hay all.

1. Remove the plastic suround from the steering colum, taking off all 4 pieces give you a bit more room to work.

3. Now holding the plug with the 3 small pins to the left/2 Big pins to the right.

....I cheated by simply putting some copper wire between the teminals on the inside of the plug. I know this sound's a bit dodgy but remember it's only a earth signal to a relay.

sounds pretty simple, hows it going now? still good?

• 4 weeks later...
If anyone is still interested in wiring there head lights so when the high beam is on, low beam comes on aswell here is a simple way to do it.

Also See the attached file for wiring diagram and finished product.

I had a mess around with this and found this the easiest way to do this. You only need to run one extra multi-core cable if you do it right.

What I used:

*5meters of 7x1.5 multi-core cable purchased from marlows (As long as the multi-core has at least 4 wires it should be ok. All the cores will be of different colours)

*2 x 5A fuses and fuse holders

*2 x 4or5 pin 12v 30A relays and relay holders if you can get them

*8 x Insulated female blade crimps

*4 x Insulated lugs with 6mm hole

*4 x Inline cable joiners (ask an auto Sparkie, tell them what you exactly want to do)

*Black cable ties

1. Firstly disconnect the plug from the back of the left hand side headlamp. You need to join one of the cores to the high beam wire and one to the low beam wire. You'll find there are 3 wires, one being the high beam, one being the low beam and the other the ground or negative.

2. Join the wires in a way so as there is a good connection and are as neat as possible. I ran the multi-core along in front of the radiator where some of the original cables run, have a look to see and you should be able to hide it quite well. Then cable tie the cable in place.

3. The cable should then run past the right hand side head light where I put a hole in the outer sheath of the multi-core and managed to pull two cores out (this was a little bit tricky, see below for tip) so as I could join to the right hand side head light in the same way. Run the end of the cable around to the fuse box or wear ever your going to mount the relays and fuses.

4. Firstly connect the two wires from the left hand side headlight to the first relay. Connect the High beam wire to terminal 86 on the relay and connect the low beam wire to terminal 87.

5. Then do exactly the same on the second relay.

6. Run two separate wires from a good ground or negative to terminal 85 on each relay.

7. Then run a hard active straight to the fuse (fuse holders), do this on both relays.

8. Then from the fuse run a wire to terminal 30 on the relay, do this on both relays.

This probably could be done using only one relay, but I thought it would be better to use separate relays and fuse them individually. Attached is a basic wiring diagram, This is just for one side so just duplicate on the other side.

Tip: Gently make a hole in the outer sheath on the multi-core cable. Try pulling two wires through the hole. Just don’t pull the two wires used on the left hand side headlamp. When pulling them through you’ll need to wiggle the cable quite a bit. I ended up pulling them through a bit from the end that goes towards the fuse box then cutting them. You only need about 50mm.

Does someone still have a copy of the schematic for this?

Another way of doing this which I found to be fast and effective.

My R32 has the factory option for fog lights. Everything is in place including the wiring, fuse and connectors (follow the head light wiring to find this unconnected plug). I simply used a 4mm spade connector into the existing plug and then wired into the low beam circuit. This gives you the option of high beam lights with and without low beams. Simply hit the fog light switch on the dash to activate the low beams.

If you want to be really tricky, install relays activated by the high beam into this circuit. This will then ensure the low beams turn off when you turn the light switch off (even if you have the fog light switch on).

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
Hay all.

just did this works a treat

• 4 weeks later...
There is another way to do this, which may prove better for those with HID lights and don't want them to turn off. It involves a simple modification to the light switch. I don't know if this works on R32s, as I have an R33.

This mod, i assume this will work fine on a GTS25T (which doesnt have the projectors)? how do you get the switch off, does the steering wheel have to come off?

• 2 weeks later...

Woot!!

I just did the soldering trick on the headlight column, works like a charm!

Although i would like to add that because im such a bad soldererer i found it easier to take the headlight column thingy apart (the whole top where the plug goes and where you need to solder comes out and this makes the soldering heaps easier as you can attack it from both angles.

:P:):banana::banana: :banana:

Woot!!

I just did the soldering trick on the headlight column, works like a charm!

Although i would like to add that because im such a bad soldererer i found it easier to take the headlight column thingy apart (the whole top where the plug goes and where you need to solder comes out and this makes the soldering heaps easier as you can attack it from both angles.

:P:):banana::banana::banana:

i assume the steering wheel doesnt need to come off for this?

nope u just take off the plastic cover behind the wheel. I think theres 6 screws to undo & 1 screw is under the handle where you lift the steering wheel up & down. :) Its real easy

• 2 weeks later...
Hay all.

Criminally simple. Modified mine as per above. Didn't remove the switch, just unplugged and worked on the plug end.

Edited by heller44