SAU Community

Dual High Beam

GTS 33

• 1 year later...

I have a R33 GTR S3, headlights are Xenon's was wondering how do i change the bulbs, i cant seem to open the lid behind the projectors there some sort of bolt next to the lid stopping it from opening...its some weird key looks slightly like a hex head key....

that's an adjustment for the beam

if they're anything like the 34 ones, the 'lid' is a screw type one that was a biatch to undo from memory, just try unscrewing both ones :D - got pics?

• 2 months later...

I used Bambinator's guide and it's worked REALLY well, just need to be careful as the solder likes to fall through the points and you have to pull it apart to get the solder out. Easily changed and no mucking around with new wires. Cheers Bambinator!

There is another way to do this, which may prove better for those with HID lights and don't want them to turn off. It involves a simple modification to the light switch. I don't know if this works on R32s, as I have an R33.

SNIP

There are two copper tracks that you need to bridge with solder - they are marked with red circles on the following images:

gallery_7482_289_10230.jpg

Once done, it will look something like this (excuse my poor soldering technique)

gallery_7482_289_3607.jpg

/SNIP

THANKS for this finally did this morning

very easy but you at least need to know soldering principals

Time: around 45min start - finish

• 2 weeks later...

I did the soldering mod and worked awesome but I've noticed now that when I go over a bump whether it be really big or just slight my rear wiper will click over once and wipe the window. Still functions normally when I turn it on and off, but it has a mind of its own on bumps, I'm wondering whether I haven't plugged something else back in or whether its related to the poor soldering job I did, I wouldn't imagine so because it's on the other side? Any thoughts??

Cheers.

• 6 months later...

There is another way to do this, which may prove better for those with HID lights and don't want them to turn off. It involves a simple modification to the light switch. I don't know if this works on R32s, as I have an R33.

Before mod:

Low beam

gallery_7482_289_12606.jpg

Hi beam

gallery_7482_289_10386.jpg

Remove your lights/indicator stalk from the column, and looking at the back, you should see something like this:

gallery_7482_289_31530.jpg

There are two copper tracks that you need to bridge with solder - they are marked with red circles on the following images:

gallery_7482_289_10230.jpg

Once done, it will look something like this (excuse my poor soldering technique)

gallery_7482_289_3607.jpg

Then reinstall into the car. You should now have dual-headlight hi-beam goodness.

gallery_7482_289_5370.jpg

Sorry to liven an old post, but is there any failure stories on this regarding overloading the feed wiring or anything? taken that the feed line is designed to run either high or low, separately? or is there a separate feed for high and low? cheers

• 1 month later...

^^i tried this mod, although after a week it will stop working, resolder and it will work fine again

although can anyone re explain (pics?) this next method for the 33 im confused

Hay all.

I found the ezyest way to rig up the headlights on r32.

took me the whole of about 15 min.

1. Remove the plastic suround from the steering colum, taking off all 4 pieces give you a bit more room to work.

2. remove the indicator switch completly.

3. Now holding the plug with the 3 small pins to the left/2 Big pins to the right.

You'll find their are 6 wire's in the center rows(2 lots of 3)

4.Simply bridge the bottom wire's with the one's directly above them.

Sorry but I can't remember the colour of the wire's. what I do know is.

The r32 lights work on supplying a earth signal to activate the lights.

They have left and right signal hence the 6 wire's.

2 bottom wire's are earth signal into switch.

2 middle wire's are low beam.

2 top wire's are hi beam.

....I cheated by simply putting some copper wire between the teminals on the inside of the plug. I know this sound's a bit dodgy but remember it's only a earth signal to a relay.

I used the lights for approx 1 hr last night and it was all sweet.

• 2 months later...
Hay all.

I found the ezyest way to rig up the headlights on r32.

took me the whole of about 15 min.

1. Remove the plastic suround from the steering colum, taking off all 4 pieces give you a bit more room to work.

2. remove the indicator switch completly.

3. Now holding the plug with the 3 small pins to the left/2 Big pins to the right. You'll find their are 6 wire's in the center rows(2 lots of 3)

4.Simply bridge the bottom wire's with the one's directly above them.

Sorry but I can't remember the colour of the wire's. what I do know is.

The r32 lights work on supplying a earth signal to activate the lights.

They have left and right signal hence the 6 wire's.

2 bottom wire's are earth signal into switch.

2 middle wire's are low beam.

2 top wire's are hi beam.

....I cheated by simply putting some copper wire between the teminals on the inside of the plug. I know this sound's a bit dodgy but remember it's only a earth signal to a relay. I used the lights for approx 1 hr last night and it was all sweet.

I've also just done this as per the outline above. Of note, the two Negative Wires (that are referred to as the bottom wires above) are coloured Orange with Blue Stripe and Orange with Black Stripe.

Edited by Ryno

• 1 year later...

Possibly rewiring my S2 33 headlights next weekend .

I have the main engine bay loom and interior fuse box back to where I cut it adjacent the drivers seat from a wrecker . Basically there are two power feed wires running from the rear fuse box to the headlight combination switch on the steering column . From there two pairs of wires run to RHS and LHS headlights . The earths run back up the loom to flick knows where - haven't had time to follow them out of that spare loom yet .

Everything tells me that R33s have no headlight relays and power is sent from the rear fuse box to the lights via the combination switch . From the body wiring diagrams I've seen it looks like the lights are positive switched and run to ground to complete the circuits .

I think the simplest rewire would be to open the loom adjacent the under bonnet relay box and use the relevant wires to switch new relays with power sourced from the alternator side relay box bolt . Would need a diode to stop the high beam relay/s staying on when switching from high to low .

I know everyone reckons headlights are earth switched but the earths at the lights are black wires with silver bands and they don't go back to the combination switch . To be earth switched the switch would need to be between the lights and body earth ?

A .

• 3 years later...